Plummers - just ratters?

Guest proudy

I seen my name mentioned earlier which dont bother me in the slightest and i was going to keep quiet on this but i can not help myself.. :D ..

I do own plummer's from the old stuff and i am willing to line my dog while he is still firing good but the clock is ticking now and if that does not happen i will never own a one ever again..

The stuff plummer's are rated for is no different to any other breed of terrier apart from a lot of them are no good for earth work..but then again a lot of other breed's are not earth dog's..

People go on about the nose of plummer's but that's rubbish i have a new dog here a border x pat who has a much better nose than the two plummer's i have.. and my older terrier crosses where no different to plummer's and as far as killing rat' and rabbit's and nose work go and all terrier's can do that so plummer's are no exception..

All's i can say to anyone wanting a new terrier get one of any breeding aslong as it's from working stock and the slightest hint of show stock must be given a wide berth..

Millet

Excellent words there in my humble opinion :yes:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes interesting reading, im new to this forum lark, so be gentle!!!!! The plummer breed always seems to attract lively debate, I do own a plummer and would like to work him and have, but we do come up against bias towards the breed, raised eyebrows, 'ooh look its one of those plummers' etc, which is disheartening...... :(

surely each dog, irrespective of breed should be judged individually, there are good and bad examples in all breeds, everyone has a personal preference :D

I seen my name mentioned earlier which dont bother me in the slightest and i was going to keep quiet on this but i can not help myself.. :D ..

I do own plummer's from the old stuff and i am willing to line my dog while he is still firing good but the clock is ticking now and if that does not happen i will never own a one ever again..

The stuff plummer's are rated for is no different to any other breed of terrier apart from a lot of them are no good for earth work..but then again a lot of other breed's are not earth dog's..

People go on about the nose of plummer's but that's rubbish i have a new dog here a border x pat who has a much better nose than the two plummer's i have.. and my older terrier crosses where no different to plummer's and as far as killing rat' and rabbit's and nose work go and all terrier's can do that so plummer's are no exception..

All's i can say to anyone wanting a new terrier get one of any breeding aslong as it's from working stock and the slightest hint of show stock must be given a wide berth..

Millet

Excellent words there in my humble opinion :yes:

i'll go with that.

This makes interesting reading, im new to this forum lark, so be gentle!!!!! The plummer breed always seems to attract lively debate, I do own a plummer and would like to work him and have, but we do come up against bias towards the breed, raised eyebrows, 'ooh look its one of those plummers' etc, which is disheartening...... :(

surely each dog, irrespective of breed should be judged individually, there are good and bad examples in all breeds, everyone has a personal preference :D

thats a nice first post but i think its safe to say that if you are looking for a 'complete' working terrier then the plummer is more of a risk than say a working bred patterdale/fell or russel.

[

thats a nice first post but i think its safe to say that if you are looking for a 'complete' working terrier then the plummer is more of a risk than say a working bred patterdale/fell or russel.

I agree with what you say.

But if you think in time scale, ie the breeds you mention have been around a lot longer than the plummer terrier,maybe in time and given the chance the plummer may work as well as these breeds ?!?!?!?!?!!! :thumbs:

But if you think in time scale, ie the breeds you mention have been around a lot longer than the plummer terrier,maybe in time and given the chance the plummer may work as well as these breeds ?!?!?!?!?!!! :thumbs:

O r maybe the Plummer evolved from these very tried and tested working lines? they say only the best of working blood was used initially, was this so?

[

I agree with what you say.

in theory yes BUT the plummer terrier seems to be owned in general by ratters/rabbiters and is rarely tested with earth work,so the qualities to become a competent earth dog are or are being lost with every generation bred.

and there seems to be a lot of untried plummers being bred from.

i found out which of my terriers had good noses by hunting fox above ground.(pre ban off course)

rats and rabbits dont tend to run very far,foxes do and some terriers can hunt a line for quite a distance,sometimes to ground.the best sport ive ever had was hunting fox with terriers out bushing.it eventually caused the death of my best "nosed" terrier and i wouldnt dream of hunting those places in that way now.

thats how i found what could hunt well,NOT by hunting rats and rabbits.if i never own another plummer sort ill have the memories :).........even if ill never hunt that way again :clapper:

WELL LADS ,

IVE NO AXE TO GRIND EITHER WAY WITH THE PLUMMER TERRIER ............. SO ......... HERE GOES ......

ITS AMAZING TO ME THAT P. T. OWNERS GET SO UPSET AT THE THOUGHT OF AN OUT CROSS ? .....

HELL ......... PLUMMER WAS BREEDING MORE CROSSES INTO HIS FAMILY ? THAN YOU WOULD BELIVE ! ...........

A LONG TIME AGO I WAS JUST A KID AT A LOCALISH SHOW.... ABOUT 30 ISH YRS AGO , WE HAD A SMOOTH COATED BULL HEADED BLACK DOG , I SUPPOSE WHAT MANY WOULD SAY WAS A PATT ...... PLUMMER WAS AT THE SHOW WITH WINCH BUYING A RUSSEL , A REAL SHOW DOG WHICH HADNT DONE A THING ,

HE WAS ALL OVER THIS DOG OF OURS ............... BUT WHEN I ASKED HIM WHAT HE WAS BUYING THE SHOW DOG FOR .......... HE SAID " HES GOING TO BE STUDED OVER MY BITCHES " , HELL EVEN AS A KID I VERY NEARLY FELL TO THE FLOOR ............ FECKIN HELL.... THAT DAY MY CHILDHOOD DAY DREAMS WERE SHATTERED , YOU SEE EVEN AT ABOUT TEN YRS OLD , I COULD SEE THE BULLSHIT HE WAS TRYING TO SPIN ME ............ UPSHOT WAS........... I WAS BOUGHT OFF WITH A FREE SIGNED BOOK TO KEEP QUIET AND STOP ASKING THE EMBARRASSING QUESTIONS INFRONT OF HIS ADMIRIERS !! :no:

YRS AND YRS LATER I WAS AT NUTTALS WHEN PLUMMER TURNED UP ....... HE TOLD ME AT THAT TIME MOST OF HIS PLUMMERS WERE A QUARTER NUTTAL BLOOD ..... HE WAS ALSO TALKING OF ADDING THE INFLUANCE OF ANOTHER UNRELATED RUSSEL WHICH HE WAS GOING TO USE OVER HIS BITCHES , ANOTHER DOG WHICH HADNT DONE MUCH AT ALL ! .... BUT HAD WON NUMEROUS SHOWS AND WAS APPARENTLY A FINE SPECIMEN :doh:

MY POINT ? ...................... WELL .............. PLUMMER WAS SO UP HIS OWN ARSE HE THOUGHT THAT NO MATTER WHAT THE BREEDING OF THE DOG ................ HIS OWN DOG TRAINING SKILLS WOULD TURN THE DOG INTO A GOOD WORKER :no:

HIS LINE WERE BRED TO LOOK A CERTAIN WAY , ....... NOT BEHAVE A CERTAIN WAY ................

PIN BACK YER LUGS LADS ............. BELIVE ME WHEN I SAY ........ EXTERNAL POINTS ARE EASY TO BREED FOR .... ITS THE HIDDEN QUALITYS WHICH TAKE THE WORK LOOKING FOR AND REPRODUCEING :yes:

A LONG TIME AGO I FOUND OUT THERES NO SUCH THING AS DUEL PURPOSE STOCK ....... BIRDS OR DOGS ETC WHICH WOULD WIN AT SHOWS AND BE TOP CLASS IN THE FIELD ............. YEP .. ODD INDIVIDUELS WILL TURN UP ..........BUT NOT FULL LINES :no:

IMO ......... PLUMMER WAS CONSTANTLY CROSSING TO STOP HIS HOUSE OF CARDS FALLING DOWN , BECAUSE AS ANY BREEDER KNOWS ....... QUITTERS AND CURS COME TO THE SURFACE WHEN THE INBREEDING / LINEBREEDING STARTS

JUST TO END ................ A LONG TIME AGO , A TOP CLASS TERRIERMAN TOLD ME TO CONSTANTLY WATCH MY BITCHES ......... IF THE BITCHES AINT GOOD WORKERS OR WONT WORK TO A HIGH STANDARD YOUR FAMILY IS IN DANGER AS THE DOGS WILL STILL WORK WELL A FEW GENERATIONS ON , THEN BANG . THAT HOUSE OF CARDS COMES TUMBLEING DOWN .

FUNNY HOW A FEW LADS SEEM TO HAVE THE ODD PLUMMER " DOG " WHICH WILL WORK FOX .......... YET " TOP CLASS " BITCHES SEEM VERY , VERY THIN ON THE GROUND

DUCKWING :big_boss:

good sensible post duckwing.

i once had a very strange conversation over the phone with brian...........i wont give details as he isnt here to have his say..........but i was gutted after it.it didnt change how i felt about the terriers just the man himself.

anyway this has gone on for three pages which is too much :clapper:

ive just come back from a quick rat lamping trip.the lurcher got one,the terrier got one and i shot two.i do like variety :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

im picking a lurcher pup up tomorrow,i cant wait.its about time i had something to occupy myself with rather than being on here :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am a plummer owner but not a fan of the man himself(told a good story but thats all they were)people say about the this and that that was put into the plummer to form the breed itself and go on about yet more outcross is needed,i am not that knowageable about the breed but do know that some dogs were used to smarten things up or to put working traits in when developing the breed.Today faults are still aprearing so owners are attempting to breed these out,has to be said but there is only one kennel breeding solely for the pet market and doing all they can to get the dogs kc'd so more money can be charged(they won't sell to sporting homes)most folks are breeding workers to workers(be it at whatever)but with this breed we can look into the faults carried by some lines and other history about the line and be able to choose a sutable dog for our bitches.How many lads on here would look a little deeper into a mateing rather than this works that works lets mate them and it will be fine?,not many?,a few?.Breed to improve not to maintain,most folks use there dogs for ratting and rabbiting with the odd fox job thrown in and for this use the plummer was bred in the first place,so they work for us.Blind breeding of worker to worker could end in deformed dogs with anything from deformed pups to foul mouths,some of us are trying to be a bit more careful.I know a good few plummers that are digging,dogs and bitches and the owners are very happy with them.But in the end it's down to if you like it then go with it,if not don't.Cant belive i'm answering another pi**y thread about plummers again,typed to much before getting fed up so i'll post anyway :feck: