Collie Crosses To Clever Or Too Slow

Certainly not too slow, deffanitely too clever for their own good though, iv seem a good bitch pull up on rabbits, they don't forget and they sulk like mad there's better crosses out there for any quarry imo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some people just have a personality which doesn't suit collie x lurchers. If you can unravel their mental workings and understand what makes them tick you will not get a better all round hunting dog.

How can they be slow, get a 3/4 and they will be as fast as any Lurcher.

When a dog is worked it learns to contrast between prey animals Prey animals that offer more resistance to subdue are often placed higher in a dogs choice for prey making The humble rabbit can b

You do get alot of other crosses including ones with saluki and bull in that end up quitting on rabbits.

No one knows fully what goes on in dogs head.

I think if u kept slipping collie types on hedge rabbits then they probably would f**k it off before another cross...but that's missing the point completely...

No point slipping your dog if u don't think it will catch it.. Wasting everyone's time.

That being said my hairy collie x, slip him on a hedgerow figitey type rabbit, the ones that are undecided whether to go in or not...and 9-10 he would turn the fuckers off the hedge and nab them.

Iv now worked out, I think, I prefer border collie to beardy x...

Far less sensitive, more responsive and a harder nature...thats me personally.

Others say beardy are the tougher dog.

Maybe if u were after fox time after time

But I'm not so will never fins out lol.

• Like 2

True there are other crosses that will pull up on rabbits, again iv seen a beddy whippet greyhound owned by me pull up on them even though she was dynamite on rabbits but I put it down to being too unfit for a long nights lamping, from my experience and from what I hear off other dog lads though the collie cross is known for doing this for no apparent reason even though iv seen it happen I won't sit here and slag off collie greyhounds on rabbits because they are experts on them and have been for many years

Some people just have a personality which doesn't suit collie x lurchers. If you can unravel their mental workings and understand what makes them tick you will not get a better all round hunting dog. If you need to have it explained to you then you are never going to own a good collie cross

• Like 9

Some people just have a personality which doesn't suit collie x lurchers. If you can unravel their mental workings and understand what makes them tick you will not get a better all round hunting dog. If you need to have it explained to you then you are never going to own a good collie cross

True that fella. They are definitely more of a thinking man's type of dog

I agree with most of what you have said apart from the 'all round lurcher' part I don't think on average the collie greyhound is an all round lurcher, but then again I guess it depends what people see as an all round lurcher

I agree with most of what you have said apart from the 'all round lurcher' part I don't think on average the collie greyhound is an all round lurcher, but then again I guess it depends what people see as an all round lurcher

for most it means anything edible including birds.

Iv not seen many any type of lurcher picking birds up, usualy collie x and whippets I see.

for most it means anything edible including birds.

Iv not seen many any type of lurcher picking birds up, usualy collie x and whippets I see.

If that's what people class as the all round lurcher then yeah I guess a collie greyhound isn't a bad choice,

I personally have a different view on the all round lurcher but I'm sure it's down to personal preference

• Like 1

In my eyes an all-rounder is a dog that can catch little and big ears on a regular basis and also catch the bigger gear and Mr Red. For other gear I think you need a dog of different qualities..... ??

• Like 1

In my eyes an all-rounder is a dog that can catch little and big ears on a regular basis and also catch the bigger gear and Mr Red. For other gear I think you need a dog of different qualities.....

For me it must do the same but with manners e.g retrieve, work to heel, and not be a whinging fecker while it at it!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

In my eyes an all-rounder is a dog that can catch little and big ears on a regular basis and also catch the bigger gear and Mr Red. For other gear I think you need a dog of different qualities.....

For me it must do the same but with manners e.g retrieve, work to heel, and not be a whinging fecker while it at it!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I dont think something you have put into the dog can decide wether it's an all rounder or not, if a dog back in the day before the ban could catch a rabbit but just hold it in its mouth without bringing it back and then go into the next field catch and dispatch of a fox without a bother but then sh*t in your van on the way home, pull a deer and bark through the hole course, and catch a hare in the daytime along with pulling things out of holes, I think that is the all round lurcher wetherbit has good manners or not

The last Collie cross I had could catch the bunnies and was even better on Hares. He would not kill a Fox and would only entertain Roe Deer. To top it off the fcuker occasionally yapped on Hares when he knew they were going to escape.

He was the most jealous dog I've ever known, when out on our Sunday mooch with my mates you couldn't leave him off the slip because he wanted to be everywhere first, the little fcuker would bolt off across the field just to be in front of any other dogs.

Edited by DogMan85

I dont think something you have put into the dog can decide wether it's an all rounder or not, if a dog back in the day before the ban could catch a rabbit but just hold it in its mouth without bringing it back and then go into the next field catch and dispatch of a fox without a bother but then sh*t in your van on the way home, pull a deer and bark through the hole course, and catch a hare in the daytime along with pulling things out of holes, I think that is the all round lurcher wetherbit has good manners or not

I totally agree to a degree as there is always proof in the pudding...but for me a lurcher has to work with you, Drive and speed will put game in any dogs mouth and are a absolute necessity! But also a bit of guile and obedience go a long way, the skill for me is raining it all in, with some sort of control over it.

ATB S2H

Seen them yap open out ,just prior to catching long ears funny creatures at times some animals also seen saluki xes do same I would not think this trait just goes with collie types .seen bull xes yap on heavy teeth no minerals seen bull types that like to brawl prefer the out and out killing animal job done in a moment or two and looking fa next ,,I believe that if one wants ta chew the fat ,,there's very few if any perfect animal they all have flaws even good animals.hence we always looking ta improve.yapping a pet hate of mine Cana abide it in edible type or pest contolling animal .atb bunnys.

• Like 2