Rabbiting Dogs, Opinions.

I'm after a nice little rabbiting dog whats your lads opinions on the best X for the job. I have a Beddy/whippet in mind or collie/whippet/grey i know everyone's different i'd just like to hear others thoughts. Cheers :thumbs:

Rabbiting is often different throughout the UK...some types are more suited to localised terrain than others,...it pays to consider this... :thumbs:

• Like 8

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you choose have a bit of greyhound whippet on with it here's my we beddy whippet greyhound good we rabbit dog

Lurcher x lurcher bit of deerhound and bit of collie  

Rabbiting is often different throughout the UK...some types are more suited to localised terrain than others,...it pays to consider this...

Posted Images

I agree with Phil here regarding where in the country you are to hunt in the main, personally I'd not look beyond lurcher x lurcher doing the business from your own locality matey..I've had bedlington crosses in the past & seen many at work & although they can be great bunny bashers & be fantastic at other aspects of lurcherwork they like all types may come with flaws which may or may not surface,they can on occasions be world championship yapping contenders,the "linty" coat is useless in extremes of weather cold,rain,wind etc,just remember to choose wisely as it's you who will have to put up with the dogs flaws should they arise for the next 15 years or so matey ,best of luck ✌

• Like 4

I have to say after been out of the game for a couple of decades I had forgot loads and gave zero thought to ground when I bought mine. Just looked on gumtree and thought that mix sounds ok that will do. I picked up this pudding

23901804949_9244ab7d8d_c.jpg

but he has turned out to be the best one I have had at catching stuff. In theory his too big, too fast and just too keen but also very exciting to work. But if I was too choose again I would consider my ground and get some thing smaller and more robust and sacrifice a bit of speed if needed. Like a beddy/whippet maybe and one fella on here has some nice clips of his spaniel/whippet. Just a small robust type would do me. But if I can keep this fella alive I won't have to worry for 10 years or so and that suites me fine :thumbs:

30313839394_46fee6817c_c.jpg

• Like 7

My Collie bull grey racey 26ish inch . just had our first season and he dosnt strugle on the rabbits day or night.

hes done well on what ever and where ever we have run . But my next dog will be along the lines of a beddy grey not because my dog cant catch its purely down to my dogs coat is shit

post-98112-0-95083800-1489935725_thumb.jpg

post-98112-0-01508100-1489935879_thumb.jpg

post-98112-0-81223400-1489935900_thumb.jpg

Edited by green dragon
  • Like 5

My Collie bull grey racey 26ish inch . just had our first season and he dosnt strugle on the rabbits day or night.

hes done well on what ever and where ever we have run . But my next dog will be along the lines of a beddy grey not because my dog cant catch its purely down to my dogs coat is shit

forgot to mention that mine has a poor coat too.

Don't need beddy to get a good coat

Collie/bull/grey

post-11162-0-95414500-1489943997_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Don't need beddy to get a good coat

Collie/bull/grey

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

certainly don't post-71205-0-14075700-1489945294_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2