Can't Finish Crossword... Just One To Finish It..can't Work It Out?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fcuking hell mate this is the hunting life not Mensa! Half of the people on here struggle to tie their shoelaces, lol.

The bloke who invented the crossword is buried in my local Cemetary . . His grave is easy to find you go through the main gates and he's 4 down 3 across :)

Sinister.   Nurse = sister, entry = in. Put the two together to make "sinister", the Latin word for "left"....

When it comes to cryptic clues once you get into the mind of the compiler they are not that hard, as you know their codes. It's when they put in a new compiler that they start to get difficult, as you have to learn a new code from the start.

Take Blackbriars cryptic clue.

Prisoners go out in sequence (11) You could get the same answer from this clue. "Prisoners go about improving" Each compiler has their own words for anagrams and initials etc

TC

When it comes to cryptic clues once you get into the mind of the compiler they are not that hard, as you know their codes. It's when they put in a new compiler that they start to get difficult, as you have to learn a new code from the start.

TC

Very true.

I reckon that's why The Times have stopped putting the compiler's name on their crosswords......Makes it that bit more difficult !

Newspaper bosses insist on prohibition for scurrilous leader (5,6)

Press barons.

I got the answer almost straight away, but it took me a while to work out HOW the answer is arrived at - and I think that's the important bit of a cryptic !

Insist on = "press" (as in "press for"), prohibition for = "bar on", scurrilous leader = letter "s" (first letter, indicated by the word "leader").

Put them together......

• Like 1

TC

Very true.

I reckon that's why The Times have stopped putting the compiler's name on their crosswords......Makes it that bit more difficult !

Telegraph man myself :D

Cheers, D.

TC

Very true.

Telegraph man myself :D

Cheers, D.

You should try The Times Jumbo on a Saturday.....Fills my free time for the next couple of days.....At least !

Press barons.

I got the answer almost straight away, but it took me a while to work out HOW the answer is arrived at - and I think that's the important bit of a cryptic !

Insist on = "press" (as in "press for"), prohibition for = "bar on", scurrilous leader = letter "s" (first letter, indicated by the word "leader").

Put them together......

No wonder I'm terrible at crosswords , by your explanation how to solve them your either clever as Fukc or Nuts . . I'm not sure which :) :)

Press barons.

Put them together......

No wonder I'm terrible at crosswords , by your explanation how to solve them your either clever as Fukc or Nuts . . I'm not sure which :) :)

Clever as f***, mate !

• Like 2

Shakespeare is to Flub-a-dub as Aeschylus is to ________.

11 letters

Fcuking hell mate this is the hunting life not Mensa! Half of the people on here struggle to tie their shoelaces, lol.

Last month, The Times had a crossword with all the clues and answers in Latin ! I stared blankly at it, for a few minutes, and went back to Jeremy Kyle !

• Like 1