Getting Them Fit.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the 70 and year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether i

Posted Images

“Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire.” [/size]

Lt. General Patton March 6, 1944[/size]

Anthropomorphozize, seeing human characteristics in an animal.

They don't need what you think they need, they've got to be happy in the head more than hard in the body

Some of us expect a lot from our dogs.

If you want to excuse your own lack of effort to help a dog reach it's full potential that's your own business. But if you've never had a terrier fully fit and conditioned you can't know what you're talking about.

• Like 2

While I knew there is probably a small few who do Id like to put a lie detector test on 90% of these lads that say they genuinely give there dogs 6 mile a day on bike 7 days a week. It sounds good on a computer screen though.what about these 70 and 80 year old legendary terriermen with 30 dogs on there yard they must be wore out going for a dig after doing 180 miles on the bike and the dogs are still world beaters

You don't have to believe a word I say jiggy.

But I've never been 1 for lying.

I threw a well paid job in 3yrs 3 weeks ago.

Due to the wife struggling with our 2 disabled kids.

So I've got plenty of time for the dogs in the daytime or night.

One day I will have to go back to work.

And I will be wishing I wasn't working.

8 to 10 miles a day I was walking the dogs they were free running when I was living in Wales up the mountain over heather ground forestry etc.

Every single day no matter the weather. On very rainy days I would stick to the forestry roads for a little shelter.

And wish I was walking up there this minute lol.

Really miss the mountains.

You could walk 6hrs and not see another person all day.

im not saying your a liar I'm just generalising. And if you ain't working and have the time then FairPlay.
  • Like 1

What I've noticed over the years and it's only my opinion is that very, very fit terriers that are not getting much work can not only be a pain in the ass but a liability. They'll look for fights and bark when in the kennels.

The one thing good honest workers need is work to keep them happy. If that's not always possible then they definitely need mental stimulation. Some ratting or bushing a few times a week will see a better happier terrier than one that's looking at the back wheel of a bike for an hour a day.

As for threadmills and walkers etc. they have a different job and getting working terriers fit enough for the countryside is not that job.

The 6 Mile jog by the side of the bike doesent take long at all to be honest neil.flat lanes the distance is soon covered.

Then the dogs are in the yard in the day.

And either up the woods up the road or over the estate fields were the lurcher and bushing terrier have an hour or 2 bushing. bitch border x jrt has gone under a few times but can be called back out.

But the pat is kept on the lead as the keeper is keen on the gun apparently so I don't want him to ground with a keeper about.

• Like 1

Some lads think that training them like a pitbull in a keep is going to benifit a terrier but it can be over done to the point of exhaustion. A Bull terrier is built up and trained to peak on a certain day and after that it goes backwards. An average to good standard of fitness ( not a fat dog) will be enough for a terrier to start with, then work will put him in the condition he needs to be in and after hard work a dog could lose a few pounds of condition and need good food and rest to regain that condition not a marathon run that will slow down recovery. If the dog has a good back on him but not overweight or thin then it's a telltale sign that he has a good muscle mass and is good to go.

• Like 6

Some lads think that training them like a pitbull in a keep is going to benifit a terrier but it can be over done to the point of exhaustion. A Bull terrier is built up and trained to peak on a certain day and after that it goes backwards. An average to good standard of fitness ( not a fat dog) will be enough for a terrier to start with, then work will put him in the condition he needs to be in and after hard work a dog could lose a few pounds of condition and need good food and rest to regain that condition not a marathon run that will slow down recovery. If the dog has a good back on him but not overweight or thin then it's a telltale sign that he has a good muscle mass and is good to go.

And old friend.old man he's passed on now.used to do alot with apbt around the country.

I'm not exercising my dogs any were near the condition that his dogs were in.feck a little trot on the bike they are having mun lol.

“Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Men in condition do not tire.” [/size]

Lt. General Patton March 6, 1944[/size]

. All men and performance animals eventually tire they all have limits some more than others nit seein and knowing when's enough fa that day will give better performances next time out.the mind set has lots I believe ta do with it.atb bunnys.
  • Like 1