Smallest Working Patterdales

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd give my right nut for another one like her, small enough to get there, strong enough to do the job

There wasn't a fox safe in the country, she's 12 years old now and still does her bit, priceless.

Small enough to get and strong enough to stay.atb dc

Posted Images

His opinion on small dogs and the size to get to its fox in tight places andto work well through his breeding from the parentage ,family of dogs.saw some small ,but strong weight .saw too small runty looking things.I think it just his preference and aim with small dogs like that but surely you can get into to much breeding.

a wee russel we had yrs ago real small worked everything for yrs.them big black things about now would have been laughed out yrs ago

It's amazing how any Irish man who was digging years ago you speak too had a small Jack Russell years ago that would have put ANY Fell terrier to shame with it's legendary ability to stay all day on the hardest of Foxes and Badgers.

Where are they now ?

dead..it was yrs ago..........our dogs run the streets back then nobody was thinking of lines you just bred em when you n yer mates wanted a pup.

What I'm saying is if years ago there was brilliant little Jack Russells (in your words better than the black terriers of today) how come the lads who had them don't have any about them now ?

Was it because they were men who couldn't keep a line going, hence they weren't great breeders ?

Or was it because time has made an average terrier become legendary over the years ?

I think I know the answer.

And don't get me wrong regarding Jack Russells. I have friends who keep good ones and have had them for years but the terriers they hold in high regard tend to be still alive and not legendary ones of yesteryear that are so long dead that no one can prove if they were curs or not.

• Like 2

First dog i ever dug was a tiny bitch called tiger from rochdale

9 10lb bitch.

She was brindle and ugly as sin.

But she was still getting collard up at 12 year old.

She died in rockpile after 2 days of heavy rain.

Was offered to underkeeper and he nocked it back as pup.

Said was biggest mistake in dogs.

The bitch was fitted to a particular type of ground. Small earths.

Was owned P. stead lancashire

She earnt a place in a few guys memorys.

Picture to follow

was it out of a bitch called cracker?

Looking around at what others are digging too around the country -I have small dogs-they haven't made me look a wanker yet-touch wood lol.if the dogs are getting game dug,week in week out then I'm happy-handy to have a small dog but I've never thought ah f**k could of done with a bigger dog lol.enjoy what you got and test them fully.out tomorrow on new ground digging in stuff I've not had much experience of-see how we get on.keep your shovels sharp and safe digging.atb dc

• Like 4

a wee russel we had yrs ago real small worked everything for yrs.them big black things about now would have been laughed out yrs ago

It's amazing how any Irish man who was digging years ago you speak too had a small Jack Russell years ago that would have put ANY Fell terrier to shame with it's legendary ability to stay all day on the hardest of Foxes and Badgers.

Where are they now ?

dead..it was yrs ago..........our dogs run the streets back then nobody was thinking of lines you just bred em when you n yer mates wanted a pup.

What I'm saying is if years ago there was brilliant little Jack Russells (in your words better than the black terriers of today) how come the lads who had them don't have any about them now ?

Was it because they were men who couldn't keep a line going, hence they weren't great breeders ?

Or was it because time has made an average terrier become legendary over the years ?

And don't get me wrong regarding Jack Russells. I have friends who keep good ones and have had them for years but the terriers they hold in high regard tend to be still alive and not legendary ones of yesteryear that are so long dead that no one can prove if they were curs or

Where are they now ?

And don't get me wrong regarding Jack Russells. I have friends who keep good ones and have had them for years but the terriers they hold in high regard tend to be still alive and not legendary ones of yesteryear that are so long dead that no one can prove if they were curs or not.

I think you're either ball-hoping or spoiling for an arguement Neil. You know full well there was great working white terriers in Ireland down through the years. I have seen some crackin hunt terriers of this type. Great dogs of the past should be remembered eg. Sam, small Jack, the general, Rex 'the blindman' of Tom O'Reillys line, just to name a few. Just like Im sure ye remember the likes of Smithy, Mick, Monty, Simon etc. & so ye should! Tom's line is still working well today. There was also good white dogs in other counties Wexford, Waterford, Limerick etc. Id hazard a quess in every county in Ireland. It is wrong to say otherwise. When the Fell/Patterdale terriers first came to Ireland many countrymen gave up their white, non descript, ugly, mongrel, mixer stay all day terriers they took for granted, for the big headed, powerful, athletic, handsome, tear into em, hard, up & on coloured terriers, which initially seemed so superior. Many of which jacked after a few years or could not work too long in ground due to their gung ho attitude or were in the sick bay too much for too long. Many lads lamented & regretted leaving their old stock which unfortunately by then had died out or werent around in numbers to continue the line. At the same time to be fair good quality Fells came over & earned themselves a well deserved reputation. And are still worked in many a good kennel over here today as Im sure you also know full well. But to suggest great little white terriers didnt exist in Ireland or that the terriermen were sub-standard is totally wrong in my opinion.

• Like 5

Looking around at what others are digging too around the country -I have small dogs-they haven't made me look a wanker yet-touch wood lol.if the dogs are getting game dug,week in week out then I'm happy-handy to have a small dog but I've never thought ah f**k could of done with a bigger dog lol.enjoy what you got and test them fully.out tomorrow on new ground digging in stuff I've not had much experience of-see how we get on.keep your shovels sharp and safe digging.atb dc

The thatcher has you a real good present. Your in for some day tomorrow boyo. We get the thatcher sort a day with his gay mate riverkeeper in summer. Make sure you get the weetabix in you hehe.

• Like 1

I think you're either ball-hoping or spoiling for an arguement Neil. You know full well there was great working white terriers in Ireland down through the years. I have seen some crackin hunt terriers of this type. Great dogs of the past should be remembered eg. Sam, small Jack, the general, Rex 'the blindman' of Tom O'Reillys line, just to name a few. Just like Im sure ye remember the likes of Smithy, Mick, Monty, Simon etc. & so ye should! Tom's line is still working well today. There was also good white dogs in other counties Wexford, Waterford, Limerick etc. Id hazard a quess in every county in Ireland. It is wrong to say otherwise. When the Fell/Patterdale terriers first came to Ireland many countrymen gave up their white, non descript, ugly, mongrel, mixer stay all day terriers they took for granted, for the big headed, powerful, athletic, handsome, tear into em, hard, up & on coloured terriers, which initially seemed so superior. Many of which jacked after a few years or could not work too long in ground due to their gung ho attitude or were in the sick bay too much for too long. Many lads lamented & regretted leaving their old stock which unfortunately by then had died out or werent around in numbers to continue the line. At the same time to be fair good quality Fells came over & earned themselves a well deserved reputation. And are still worked in many a good kennel over here today as Im sure you also know full well. But to suggest great little white terriers didnt exist in Ireland or that the terriermen were sub-standard is totally wrong in my opinion.

I think its the fact nan pat says todays dogs are inferior to yesteryears, he must've only seen poor examples of black dogs, just like some people have only seen poor examples of white dogs.
  • Like 1

...And totally disrespects the great white terriers & their terriermen of the past. Its not which is better, theres great white lines today who have a proud heritage just as there is Great lines of Fells with their proud heritage..FD summed it up well, to write off another breed in another mans yard is fool hardy. Good & bad in all. Ill say no more!

• Like 1

...And totally disrespects the great white terriers & their terriermen of the past. Its not which is better, theres great white lines today who have a proud heritage just as there is Great lines of Fells with their proud heritage..FD summed it up well, to write off another breed in another mans yard is fool hardy. Good & bad in all. Ill say no more!

One or two on here think there Patterdales/fell terriers are the holy grail of working terriers maybe a wee bit of kennel blindness. I've had black fell terriers good and bad, best dog I've ever dug to was a wee white long back Queen Anne legs brindle headed jack russell (ugly wee bassa) never owned the dog but he's one of the dogs I won't forget. On the flip side the best dog I've ever owned was a black fell terrier. If we're all honest with ourselves there's good and bad in all working terriers.

Edited by MOLE265
  • Like 2

The thatcher has you a real good present. Your in for some day tomorrow boyo. We get the thatcher sort a day with his gay mate riverkeeper in summer. Make sure you get the weetabix in you hehe.

I'm all excited now,what's he got for me-watch you don't get deli belly out in india-we catch up before season ends.have a good un mate.atb dc