Where's All The Big Names??

Looking though the parks thread that's going at the moment a couple of names of famous dogs from the past pop up, just as they would if the thread was on Gould, nuttal,harcombe, Nixon or any other breeder who left their stamp on the dog world (good or bad). Now as far as I'm aware names of today's dogs don't seem to get thrown around like they used to, unless them dogs are used in that certain group, why?

Is everyone happy with the dogs that are in their own click so they don't need to go looking or is everyone just a bit more cautious with the amount of thefts and of course the threat of prosecution?

Just gotta be careful this days who your talking to.. You just dont no who they are.. U got folk pretending to be hunting lads but they get as much in fo on u as they can an f**k you over.. Or they end up being dog thieves an take your stock...is it worth advertising what you have or is it best just to get on with what your doing an keep your own council...

• Like 9

Is the " big names " thing not, to an extent, a legacy of Plummer ? There were always men who kept kennels/lines/strains of working terriers but weren't necessarily known outside their own locality until the popularity of books on terriers produced in the 1980's. Apart from Lucas ( self publicist ) and Gripton ( made famous by Drabble ) who were the other " big names " before Plummer's books ?

I'm obviously referring to the Fell Terrier book in particular but this is not an attempt to have a pop at anyone, even Plummer. I don't personally know any of the men who are featured ( apart from being in the same beer tent at the same time at the same show maybe ) but I think it was an important historical document of the time and the preceding years regarding the development of the modern working terrier. I just think that some of these men became known nationally and internationally in part because the book. Or maybe I've misunderstood the question of " where are the big names " ? Maybe someone is writing another book and there will be a new generation of names soon ?

I've also been reading the thread on Park's dogs and must say I've always found the pricked eared ones interesting. Obviously a dog isn't a good working dog just because it has sticky up lugs but if a man is feeding it, and more importantly if he's using it in breeding then Best in Show is not the end goal.

• Like 3

Sorry east coast I mean the dogs not the fellas with the names that bred them, dogs like smithy, vicky and going back even further trump. Although maybe the fellas producing these dogs are getting the recognition leaving the dogs to get on with what they do best..WORK.

I did misinterpret the question and have no valid recent input to give. I would say though that lots of the well known Russell blood went overseas and/or became KC registered as Parson Russells. But once again I've gone off on an irrelevant tangent .

Theres plenty lads about with good working dogs down of the big names some are working it and keeping tight amongst themselvs and few mates others are geting it and are working but are in it for the coin aswell. I'v just been in a man's yard young chap dug with him a few year back when he was just a young lad lol but he knows a good dog and knows how ta work and look after a dog anyways he just showed me a yard of workers and some cracking pups he breeds for himself and those that hunt and dig with him between him and those in his locality they keep a steady flow workers between them no money changing hands they do it for sport but this man has gone from the student to teacher so to speak lol. Theres a mixture of some of the old lines in the make up of the dogs but this chap has made his own and has helped out alot of lads along the way but he doesn't seek fame or coin I applaud that I won't mention names.

• Like 7

These days I think it's hard for some people to understand how rare the black dog was add this to people who wanted to make coin and the famous studs appeared,it the stud did reproduce good workers which where good stud your soon out of business. ....never see the likes of poker smithy blitz ext again

• Like 2

These days I think it's hard for some people to understand how rare the black dog was add this to people who wanted to make coin and the famous studs appeared,it the stud did reproduce good workers which where good stud your soon out of business. ....never see the likes of poker smithy blitz ext again

the black dog/ Patterdale breeding true to type is a relatively new animal, but like a breath of fresh air to the working terrier scene.

Edited by stop.end
  • Like 1

the black dog/ Patterdale breeding true to type is a relatively new animal, but like a breath of fresh air to the working terrier scene.[/quote yes and no. But a lot more people have black dogs nowadays , more commen.the all have them!

The dogs are out there and good terriermen there aswell but some are there for name and fame coin end of and then theres the good few not alot that have learned from others mistakes by choosing better company and surrounding themselvs with trustworthy like minded men they worked with the tools at hand and improved on what they had by mixing it up with other well bred lines. There now geting the results of that work. Then theres lads that have bought there way in lol and now think there next big thing haha is all I can say to them.

I understand where Timmyk is comjng from, these days almost everyone is playing down what they own, lads talk about their own yards and its a no go private thing, which is fair enough, i get that but unless folks try to see what can produce to what, that 'could' do more harm than good.

Out crossing and trying is what the gamedog boys have always done, same with coursing dogs and both give mention to dogs at the top of their game past and present, which working terriermen now dont do... I honestly dont know the answer but could that be detrimental to the future..??

There's plenty of well known terrier studs about, if you don't know the people that own them or don't travel in the right circles you'll never hear of them. Who in their right mind would advertise the fact you're good at what you do and have a yard of terriers and more importantly a "producer" in this day and age ?

• Like 13

There's plenty of well known terrier studs about, if you don't know the people that own them or don't travel in the right circles you'll never hear of them. Who in their right mind would advertise the fact you're good at what you do and have a yard of terriers and more importantly a "producer" in this day and age ?

lol...

A dealer. And a man who has a good yard in order and only keeps good workers doesnt need to go outside his kennel from what he built .and he wouldnt be kennel blind . on the other hand , the dealer, shall we call him , breeds every time his bitches come in season , summer , winter , and breeds quick off stock
  • Like 1