Tips For A Newbie

Find a squatter and walk upto it as close as you can say 6ft lamp on it.stand still.

Give the dog a few little twitches on the collar once the rabbit bolts obviously let the dog run.do it a few times.then increase the distance between you and the squatter.stand still beam on the rabbit.give him a few small twitches on the slip.he will soon associate the twitches with a rabbit.then as you increase the distance between you and the rabbit even if he can't see it once you have given him a few little twitches he will know there's a rabbit there 100% and will trust you that there's a rabbit on the end of the beam.

• Like 2

Just keep doing what your doing mate you and your dog will teach each other, the more you go out the quicker the dog will learn to watch the beam, the more runs he has the quicker he will learn methods on how to catch his rabbits, and the more you do this the quicker you'll learn how to use the lamp and how to use the wind in your favour etc. Best of luck mate

Well an update.

So went out tonight with the lad started off promising cloud around not to bright (this soon changed), by the time i got to the field sky was clear not a cloud around stars shining bright and not a tiny bit of wind.

Wonderful ! i thought to my self however this didn't stop, took on everyone's advice and although we didn't manage to bag any bunnies HUGE improvements have been made. 4 slips in total with 3 very good runs, following the beam and as soon as the bunnies made it to a bush he had a quick look to see if he could get in the bush and then ran straight back to me legs.

I picked my slips and wasn't too slip happy waited to make sure he was looking at the bunny in the beam and on the odd run he did start to run away from the beam then with a little shake soon realized that he needed to make a U turn.

All in all a enjoyable night with progress made ! :victory:

• Like 1

good stuff it does sound like you are slipping him before he has sited if he running away from the beam ? No point slipping at this stage unless you know he has sited that can come later

Try get in between the rabbit and home to not all ways possible but if you can then he has ample chance to spot as it comes your way

Edited by terryd

good stuff it does sound like you are slipping him before he has sited if he running away from the beam ? No point slipping at this stage unless you know he has sited that can come later

Try get in between the rabbit and home to not all ways possible but if you can then he has ample chance to spot as it comes your way

Thanks Terry

yeah still learning the ropes myself not as simple as it seems haha, hard to avoid the bushes my local area are a nightmare they are everywhere !! haha