Tips For A Newbie

Hi all

So this is my first season and i am running a 15 month old Bull Grey x Bull Grey (The blue and white one in Prof Pic), so i took him out for the 3rd or 4th time tonight. This was the first time i took him out on his own the previous times he has been watching experienced dogs watching and working with them.

The fields we went are full of bunnies so there was plenty too see, he is starting to pick up the beam however he will often completely ignore the beam or whats in it, is there any tips you can give me as far as beam training for both me and me mutt any advice will be much appreciated. :thumbs:

He did get 3 really good runs in tonight i will say for him however there is a lot of bush cover around so they managed to out smart him haha.

Thanks Joe

Just takes practice so it seems. Having loads of rabbits flying about is some times not a good thing. Better of with one or two in a field. You don't want the dog getting excited and storming around the place and its easier to focus. Slow and steady and get good habits in place rather than worry about catching. If only thats what I had done :laugh:

• Like 2

Good advice terry. That's what I'm doing with my lads young bitch now. We re going to ground only holding a handful of bunnies to get her spotting. At first she could nt spot so we went back to basics taking her over the field with a soft toy and throwing it into the dark then put the lamp on and let her fetch it . Did nt take long and she runs the light well now.

• Like 1

Good advice terry. That's what I'm doing with my lads young bitch now. We re going to ground only holding a handful of bunnies to get her spotting. At first she could nt spot so we went back to basics taking her over the field with a soft toy and throwing it into the dark then put the lamp on and let her fetch it . Did nt take long and she runs the light well now.

thats what i was doing when my dog was young ?

Good advice given lads, slightly piggy backing on this tread (hope you don't mind Joe!) my bitch actually seems to struggle to see rabbits in the lamp. She catches very well by day but when I take her out at night she often just doesn't seem to even see the bunny I have the lamp on, she has good vision in daylight hours. Has anyone heard of a dog that has a eye fault that affects there night vision??? Thanks for any replies in advance. Atb

I wouldn't be taking a young dog where there were loads of rabbits mate sometimes that can do more harm than good especially when the rabbit makes it to the hedge and then he stars chasing the others round instead of coming back to you, like what's already been said slowly slowly catch the monkey ? an pick his runs carefully, even if u walk over 100 rabbits to find that one easy one then I'd say that will be far better for the dog but not everyone will agree or nobody might agree ? But that's why I think u should go lamping with as many people as u can then make up ur own mind what works an what doesn't but then again what's right for one dog might not be right for the next one ??

Atb

• Like 1

Good advice given lads, slightly piggy backing on this tread (hope you don't mind Joe!) my bitch actually seems to struggle to see rabbits in the lamp. She catches very well by day but when I take her out at night she often just doesn't seem to even see the bunny I have the lamp on, she has good vision in daylight hours. Has anyone heard of a dog that has a eye fault that affects there night vision??? Thanks for any replies in advance. Atb

No problem at all, if the thread helps answer questions for anyone its a good thing :thumbs:

No better animal to pick up a signal like a dog ,

give her a signal when you spot a bunny , it won't be long before she can chain the sound you make with a rabbit appearing

I prefare a dog to run on command if he is running on command he is activity looking for movement on the run out,

Experience will sharpen it all up then in time

Edited by Casso
  • Like 1

My advise is pick your nights, for example when there is no moon and there is plenty of cloud, that way the dog will only see what you show it. The dog will soon start to add up you and the lamp are the source of the rabbits and that you are the one in control of it. Don't worry too much the dog about spotting moving targets the dog will soon start to watch the beam, focus more on the right behavior at first e.g recall as soon as the lamp goes off etc. IMO the easy part is getting the dog to chase the rabbits the difficult part is getting to curb it all and go when you say and to start to work the beam on squatters etc

Hope it goes well for you, be patient and don't worry about numbers its all about the right behaviors in the early days.

• Like 1