Tight Places

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got lucky. A fox in tight place, terriers loose with no collars on and no shovel to hand can often result in tears..

I'd a black bitch in the 90s that was only 10 months old she'd never seen anything. I was out walking her on land I thought I knew well, she put a fox out of a double ditch and chased it over a hill.

Lead walking on all land you mean, you only think you know places well until you have a terrier running loose one day and it disappears only for you to find its working away underground somewhere you'

Posted Images

Bolters are usually renowned for the job because they give the fox enough room to bolt. Whereas a digging dog won't give them the same luxury.

The 2nd best bolter here now kills a fox that refuses to shift,every time.I prefer his sister that does not have the same knack.Its abject stupidity to believe a bolter does not get stuck in more than a digging dog,a dig rescues many a terriers true capability.

• Like 1

Its not a bolting dog then. Its a digging dog.

And we're not talking about style of work we're talking about the job they do. The best digging dogs bay and stay.Theyre not all hard , mute things.And to me a bolting dog is one that will go in, rattle a foxes cage, get in their faces, take a step back or show a couple of times until the fox shifts its position and bolts. If the fox refuses to move then the dog will re-surface with no bolt occuring. If the dog stays for a period long enough to be dug out then it's not a bolting dog.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter

Bolters are usually renowned for the job because they give the fox enough room to bolt. Whereas a digging dog won't give them the same luxury.

The 2nd best bolter here now kills a fox that refuses to shift,every time.I prefer his sister that does not have the same knack.Its abject stupidity to believe a bolter does not get stuck in more than a digging dog,a dig rescues many a terriers true capability.

Not looking for a row morton, but from your last post, why you splitting hairs, when we talk bolting dogs most think of something that wont stay, so if your stays, an bolts, why split hairs asif stayer are ( no good )

I dont understand you at all.

• Like 1

Mort - reality check mate .A bolter bolts foxes ,a digging dog stays with a fox til dug to ,however long .A bolting dog is basically scared of its opponent therefore let's it get by ,moves back when charged or just stays way off.A dog that grabs a fox but won't stay til dug to falls in this category too in my book .Totally different animals to a digging dog .I've seen many 5 minute wonders ,rated by the owner that are only fit for backfill in my eyes .
  • Like 4

So morton what would you do if your bolter stayed an you had to dig it out?

An do you use a bellman?

Bolters often stay until dug to,its a fallacy put about by digging lads that bolters are never dug to,with a little patience many a dig became a bolt,fact.Bellman collar,better box.
if a dig becomes a bolt, the dog is lacking because its given room or didn't push it to a stop.
  • Like 1

Not looking for a row morton, but from your last post, why you splitting hairs, when we talk bolting dogs most think of something that wont stay, so if your stays, an bolts, why split hairs asif stayer are ( no good )

When i think of a bolting terrier i think of a mutt that stays at the coal face until it gets a bolt,which is often for far longer than a terrier that is rescued by a shovel.I don,t get the scenario that a bolting terrier can,t stick to its task,because they often stick to the task far longer,more often,over more seasons than terriers that are dug to.I expect a terrier to do the graft of a terrier,especially below,if that means 5 minutes id find that preferential,if its several hours later fair enough.From my limited experience the average dig was average in depth and time,anything above that was not the norm,the average bolt often took far longer.Im not attempting to compare the digs that go deep and take above average rescue,they are not the norm,ive had a bolting Beddy in for over 3 days,ive had a dig that took longer.I wish i could understand the graft of any terrier,i breed towards my ambitions others theirs.

• Like 1

Mort - reality check mate .A bolter bolts foxes ,a digging dog stays with a fox til dug to ,however long .A bolting dog is basically scared of its opponent therefore let's it get by ,moves back when charged or just stays way off.A dog that grabs a fox but won't stay til dug to falls in this category too in my book .Totally different animals to a digging dog .I've seen many 5 minute wonders ,rated by the owner that are only fit for backfill in my eyes .

My best bolting terrier would put the majority of digging terriers to shame,he does far more graft,as did his father and grandmother,a reluctant bolter is dead as is anything he catches in cover,regularly.

When i think of a bolting terrier i think of a mutt that stays at the coal face until it gets a bolt,which is often for far longer than a terrier that is rescued by a shovel.I don,t get the scenario that a bolting terrier can,t stick to its task,because they often stick to the task far longer,more often,over more seasons than terriers that are dug to.I expect a terrier to do the graft of a terrier,especially below,if that means 5 minutes id find that preferential,if its several hours later fair enough.From my limited experience the average dig was average in depth and time,anything above that was not the norm,the average bolt often took far longer.Im not attempting to compare the digs that go deep and take above average rescue,they are not the norm,ive had a bolting Beddy in for over 3 days,ive had a dig that took longer.I wish i could understand the graft of any terrier,i breed towards my ambitions others theirs.
I don't think any terrier has the capacity to think of itself as a bolter or a stayer .Its either scared or its not .Trying to over think it doesn't change a thing ,least of all not with me .If your dog is stationary for a length of time then fox bolts, its given way ,no other scenario mate despite .I find it strange you don't understand how your dog works.
  • Like 1

My best bolting terrier would put the majority of digging terriers to shame,he does far more graft,as did his father and grandmother,a reluctant bolter is dead as is anything he catches in cover,regularly.
I've seen small terriers kill fox regular Mort but they would stay when the digging started .The art of despatching foxes seems to be the pinnacle of your yard but is easy picked up .

When u drop a dog u give him/her time to settle.time to put the fox to a stop end or time that he bolts.the dog is settled when I start digging I expect MY dog to stay.MY dog. None of this down two feet and fox decides to move.there curs. the only type of terrier I keep is workers.that's my standards

Edited by Shovel shy
  • Like 3