Basset Hounds

We were out again today the weather was pretty miserable, not a day for hanging round. We put a fox up in the first cover but he ended up going to ground in a whopping great awkward place so we tried to evict him for a few minutes then decided to give him best and move on. A couple of small covers proved blank but the next one held a dog fox which was duly accounted for and then we all made a swift exit to get our feet up in front of the fire.

post-5603-1197230024_thumb.jpg

post-5603-1197230083_thumb.jpg

post-5603-1197230120_thumb.jpg

Edited by bassethund

i like the look of those bassets mate that lemon and white one is a cracker just like my bitch how do find them to work with i find my two very frustrating at times but we all ways enjoy it and are very succesful just like to say the pics are :toast::toast: class

i like the look of those bassets mate that lemon and white one is a cracker just like my bitch how do find them to work with i find my two very frustrating at times but we all ways enjoy it and are very succesful just like to say the pics are :toast::toast: class

He's one hell of a dog that when he finds a fox he doesn't speak he roars! Frustrating my god they can be ignorant but so long as you can keep on top of them, that is why we all have a cheapie wireless so we can see what they are hunting and get too em quick before they get settled on the wrong quarry. When asked what they hunt we can only reply that they will hunt a fox sooner than anything but they will hunt anything sooner than nothing and that about sums them up.

Nice to see different type of dogs out and about. Are they Kennel Club type dogs? Iv'e only ever seen some in a local park (pets) - and they looked quite fat and lumbering specimens with very short legs and feet like fists and claws and red droopy eyes. What is their hunting technique? Are they able to move at much speed and for very long? Do they corner what they find or would they 'get stuck in'?

thanks

Are they your own little bobbery pack or a proper pack of hounds?

Interesting !

Hi Compo,

I suppose you might call us a bobbery pack although we are registered as a pack by the English Farmers Fox Control Association with our own registered hunt country. Although for whatever reason the MFHA. seems to think they have sole rights to fox control.

Nice to see different type of dogs out and about. Are they Kennel Club type dogs? Iv'e only ever seen some in a local park (pets) - and they looked quite fat and lumbering specimens with very short legs and feet like fists and claws and red droopy eyes. What is their hunting technique? Are they able to move at much speed and for very long? Do they corner what they find or would they 'get stuck in'?

thanks

thank you for your interest. Ours are not K.C. registered and are a far more streamlined type than the hush puppy Basset as people know them. Ours are the shape they should be which is what they were initially bred like. About the only book you can get on the old type Bassets is called "A bother of Bassets" which shows and explains far more. Their hunting technique is basically to draw of their own accord and raise the roof once they find a fox obviously we are doing it to the new laws of flushing to guns so they tend not to tire themselves out too much, but they are far faster than you would imagine. They would get stuck in so long as there was two or three of them but most foxes they lift are normally shot dead so this situation very seldom occurs.

Bassethund are you the pack from up on the borders and if so does foxmad off the old hardcore hunting get out with you and your pack?Regardless :notworthy: respect for the wee pack my freind!

That certainly sounds like us. I never like to speak on anyone elses behalf but i know foxmad very well.

yes i now my will hunt just about any thing thy can smell but when they smell fox it,makes them go bannas the only other animal that makes them go nuts is cat,s they absolotly hate them as for the k,c ones don,t e fool by them some of them worse than the old english hunting ones i have both types and find my kc bitch the worst

thanks

thank you for your interest. Ours are not K.C. registered and are a far more streamlined type than the hush puppy Basset as people know them. Ours are the shape they should be which is what they were initially bred like. About the only book you can get on the old type Bassets is called "A bother of Bassets" which shows and explains far more. Their hunting technique is basically to draw of their own accord and raise the roof once they find a fox obviously we are doing it to the new laws of flushing to guns so they tend not to tire themselves out too much, but they are far faster than you would imagine. They would get stuck in so long as there was two or three of them but most foxes they lift are normally shot dead so this situation very seldom occurs.

Good for you - they do look more athletic than the Hush Puppies in the park - they had the useless look of the fat labrabor about them - as though they could trip over their own lower eyelids, never mind their ears! I hate to see dogs taken to the extremes of uselessness all for the sake of the showring. It's good to see a dog with the right physique to do a proper job - keep them at it. :thumbs: