Has anyone any experience of RHD hitting a place and the rabbits coming back in number after a year or two.

There's places around here that suffered from the Myxi most years but there was still an abundance of rabbits.

Now those fields are empty.

Also, it's been proven that RHD2 has been passed onto a hare.

That's very worrying.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's what I'm afraid of Tiercel. We're only starting to get the grips of RHD. Some might like to see the rabbit gone but they don't realise that they're parents and grand parents were reared on th

Never gonna happen 1954 rabbit act states they must be controlled, rabbits are vermin and will never be endangered! They will bounce back again.   https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads

Rabbit numbers are very low around me some farmers saying leave them as they like to see a few about and are important food for wildlife I can't see numbers recovering any time soon.

Has anyone any experience of RHD hitting a place and the rabbits coming back in number after a year or two.

There's places around here that suffered from the Myxi most years but there was still an abundance of rabbits.

That's very worrying.

VHD hit here 3 years ago and it has gone from bad to worse, we have always had mixie every year, but the next year there was always rabbits till it hit again. Now nothing, no rabbits anywhere. Yet 10 miles away they are unaffected? I can't work it out.

TC

That's very worrying.

VHD hit here 3 years ago and it has gone from bad to worse, we have always had mixie every year, but the next year there was always rabbits till it hit again. Now nothing, no rabbits anywhere. Yet 10 miles away they are unaffected? I can't work it out.

TC

That's what I'm afraid of Tiercel.

We're only starting to get the grips of RHD.

Some might like to see the rabbit gone but they don't realise that they're parents and grand parents were reared on them. Sad.

• Like 2

Here in south wales its shocking. Got some ferrets this year to get back into the sport and not bolted a Single rabbit. Had two this year on snares. The field behind my sisters did see thirty odd in there on three occasions, a week later, not seen a single one Since. Im not sure if this virus is something they can gain an immunity to but its a sad thing. Ten years ago id always have a few with the ferrets, nothing anywhere not even on the lamp. What's the probability of rabbits becoming endangered on a serious note?

Looks like it is going to test our rabbit population from what I have read about it

http://www.justrabbits.com/new-rabbit-disease.html#gs.MtlFgcQ

That makes disturbing reading but does show that immunity is possible.

Looks like rabbit farming is mostly to blame. Most countrysides around the world are full of rabbits and mankind decides to farm them !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in my corner of county Meath in Ireland it's rampant and even some of the farmers who had a problem are sickened by it.

You even see rabbits sitting in the open looking at you and you walk up to them and they're stone dead.

Very sad IMO.

Working with lad from Trim tells me a lot rabbits around there....
  • Like 1

Here in my corner of county Meath in Ireland it's rampant and even some of the farmers who had a problem are sickened by it.

You even see rabbits sitting in the open looking at you and you walk up to them and they're stone dead.

Very sad IMO.

Same here Neil. Most of Westmeath and Offaly is hit hard too. Not worth going out.

Eddie long time since I ferreted Horseleap many rabbits around there now.....

Very sad IMO.

Same here Neil. Most of Westmeath and Offaly is hit hard too. Not worth going out.
Eddie long time since I ferreted Horseleap many rabbits around there now.....

Been a long time since I've been in Horseleap, even for a look. It used to be a magical place years ago, and always held rabbits down through the years.