Rock Piles

Its the same with the rocks rob if a dog isn't gonna sqeeze in tubes it isn't gonna squeeze throu the rocks believe me I have seen it..the will go in but when it come to dropping down a crack they don't or they may drop down something only not to get back up..them that don't squeeze arnt much good ...

• Like 1

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pic of sons dog last week at show 8 years old that was his first show looks like Mick dog smooth coated very steady in his work but gets the job done

Here is pic of Kirstysdads old dog..   Dog was a real Legend and worked up to a ripe old age, I was lucky enough to get a lining of this dog    

Great post.... Black and Tan the Father to Kirstysdads dog and the red terrier is his brother. Both doing the job  

Posted Images

I also dig with mine and they do the job but for me I think they make better rock working terriers rather than earth dogs .

The argument that a rock dog is work more than a earth is a load of ballocks its all down to the individual I'm blessed with some fantastic country to hunt down side alot of places that hold are either deep rock ground , rock piles , shafts or level I just make the most of what I got I suppose as do most .

Edited by russell tuck
  • Like 1

It takes a brave but determined dog in my opinion to drop down a tight dark crack in the rocks and a fox is at a far more advantage in rocks than earth there are also different rock holes most I don't think have much room at all they look roomy with big borders outside but close to tight cracks inside foxes like to be in very tight spaces underground seen dogs come from rocks with balled sides many times

• Like 1

Ive seen a terrier that would consistantly bolt foxes maybe 2 out of 3 but if the fox stayed put the terrier would dig as good as any and tight on game id love to know what technique it uses but its certainly not lack of courage, does it roll over the top and force it to bolt i dont know but id love to have a tinted glass ceiling on earths to see whats actually happening and watch the difference between how poor and top class dogs work and what are their strengths and weakness it certainly would be an education because who knows whats going on down there half time and we are all guessing what actually is happening with good dogs that were blamed for failing when they didnt and bad ones that were praised when they were poor.

• Like 3

Stop end all the rock piles I've done I no them done em for years some you can dig some you cart in rock you get more bolts then earths, a good rock dog is worth two earth dogs in my eyes, seen very good earth dogs not find in rock drop rock dog in finds, it's all some lads have,should give rock work ago stop end

Dont work rocks, dont see the attraction. Too much mass on a decent earth dog to risk it in rocks. I enjoy the digging to a dog. You can hear the dog working as you approach & when you break in you get to see the dog working & also the fox itself. In general free lance terriermen who work rocks rely on stealth. "Silence is key" dog in bays/mixes, startles unsuspecting charlie who hightails it outta there. With the exception of its finding & rock traversing ability (which are traits to be admired) many a terrier could achieve this result. Wether it would make the grade as a top class earth dog is questionable. Its the rock dog that has to regularly bolt and/or kill foxes ran to ground in rocks, thats the rock dog to be admired. But even still I dont think you can compare terriers for rock or earth work, both have different jobs to do & different requirements. I do understand & appreciate lads have to make do with whats available to them & that its "horses for courses". But to say 1 is worth twice the other I wouldnt agree!
  • Like 1

To you maybe because you dig. Take your average digging dog up to a hunt terrier man up in the fell country and it would be no good to him. He might say 10 of your digging dog are not worth 1 of his. Im not saying ones better than the other. Just different people need different dogs nothings black and white is it

• Like 2

To you maybe because you dig. Take your average digging dog up to a hunt terrier man up in the fell country and it would be no good to him. He might say 10 of your digging dog are not worth 1 of his. Im not saying ones better than the other. Just different people need different dogs nothings black and white is it

Thats my point you cant compare 1 with the other. "Horses for courses" & everyone to their own. As I said a good hunt terrier in the fells is IMO worthy of admiration because he has to regularly deal with foxes ran to ground & reluctant to leave. But a lot of rock terriers that generally meet fresh unsuspecting foxes will bolt them. That in my opinion does not necessarily qualify them as Game terriers. Yes they have to be admired for what they do, traverse rock, find in bad places & bolt many foxes to gun &/or lurchers. If thats suits you great but they may not make the grade as earth dogs regularly meeting driven stubborn foxes. Also if a rock terrier comes out how can anyone say he has killed his fox unless he drags him out with him? Being marked up is not enough to justify this theory...just a point!
  • Like 1

Many rock earth's can be dug just takes you a long time good test for a terrier in my opinion bar shovel and sledge hammer and away you go sometimes just getting there and just one big rock that you can't move without moving a thousand smaller ones. Most rock digs I have see last at least 3 or four hours and sometimes many more hours I don't think you can take anything away from a good dog that will stay till dug. Why would someone try and take that away from a honest little dog

• Like 3

I was not saying it's set in stone rock dog worth two earth dogs but to me it is as rock pile old tips concrete with rebar in is all we have, had digging dogs out on spots I did in past an they found it hard to get on as dog could not dig on in most spots

• Like 1

Had plenty of deep ones in rock coming off the moor at dark and back first light with not a wink of sleep.its a test for both man and dog never again you tell yourself, but then you pull the dog and get your fox and you forget about all about the sores and pain, and in a few week your back on the same pile, i must be a sucker for punishment lol

• Like 6

A old chap told me on a hill once when I was a young boy always keep a terrier slightly over weight when working rocks because he might need it one cold long night after a good shift and a terrier can push through rocks but it's a little easier coming out carrying less weight

• Like 2

My uncle used to work beddys in the rock going back a long time now tho, he used to say they was demons in the piles

My old Beddy bitch did 6 seasons in rock piles that most would walk past now,as you rightly stated earlier terriers bred with the capability to work them are thin on the ground now,i find this a sad reflection on terriers as an whole now,they are bred away from their purpose.I retired the beddy a couple of years ago and last year a red Fell that could be entered in any pile and get a result.My lad as the main terriers now and worked rocks with the old terriers for years,his younger crew he,s had a couple of near misses in rocks and is reluctant to work piles he,s worked for years.His dogs are bred directly from the Beddy and fell mentioned earlier and should get the chance to learn the art of the piles,his dogs now and his choice,yet when i get my sapling back from him next season it will not walk past an occupied pile without being loosed.More working terriers are lost in muck and sand than rocks.

• Like 2

I also dig with mine and they do the job but for me I think they make better rock working terriers rather than earth dogs .

The argument that a rock dog is work more than a earth is a load of ballocks its all down to the individual I'm blessed with some fantastic country to hunt down side alot of places that hold are either deep rock ground , rock piles , shafts or level I just make the most of what I got I suppose as do most .

I could walk away from a dozen different working terrier kennels with a digging dog,id struggle to find a find a terrier capable of working rocks,especially as the majority of kennels breed terriers that do not have the conformation for rock work.

• Like 1