What Type Will Your Next Lurcher Be?

A mate of mine is planning to line his beddy whippet with a bull whippet.

Both 3/4 bred mutts doing the job well day and night.

Really fancy one of these to add to my little team.

I think that will be me done for a few years then hopefully. I do fancy a well bred coursing dog in the future though.

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the time comes I'll be looking for summat that is quick and might actually catch something as opposed to the useless curry thieving pot licking freeloaders that are farting on the settee next to

I only catch a hand full of rabbits,... for me, the craic is the main thing... I am just a part timer,...but the cur bitch I have now,..is a reliable marker/hunter.... So,...next time around ...(

Doing one justice? They don't need too go too fens fully conditioned up too match too do them justice mate ?   Good warm kennel quality feed plenty exercise and time too grow out and they can be wha

Posted Images

Its interesting to note the amount of folk that are considering a smaller type lurcher for their next mutt,i wonder how much of that is down to an age factor or because of the ban?.Im getting to an age now that id consider a smaller bred type to be a better option in the field,northern,s posts and his mutts make me realise that smaller can often be as,or more,rewarding than the type im accustomed to over the last few decades.Some of my earlier hunting was with the type he has and their was much more pleasure and far less stress in those youthful forays,perhaps the tide is a turning and its time to get back to stress free hunting outings.Id still be loathe to be without an honest Deerhoundy/Cur combo {im still looking} yet im being drawn to something that ive not kenneled for far to long.

• Like 4

Reading through this thread I come to the conclusion that no one is satisfied with the type they have. L O L!!!!

I like collie traits that my dog has (beardie cross) like the brain and good feet and skin etc I just think the border collie x would be easier to manage.

Reading through this thread I come to the conclusion that no one is satisfied with the type they have. L O L!!!!

That's why they all sat in kennels whilst folk on here lollol you spot on tho, the grass is always greener and all that haha, thing with me is the job I expect a lurcher to do, most or any type can do, so I don't get too hung on types or crosses tbh

It comes as a surprise to some when they realise what an average lurcher is capable of,an average lurcher is often far more capable than its average owner.Yet at times average don,t do.

• Like 3

Ffs stop saying stuff I agree with haha that's twice in a good few years lol if most folk got there dog truly fit then tbey would be amazed at what the dog could do

I walked the land with a mate,many years ago when i still had 1,my mutt always caught far more than his,he had the better dog,mine was fitter.

I wish to find a good long legged paddock type (rather than yard type) kelpie to put over one of my bitches in 2 to 3 years(one is saluki x stag one is saluki x whippet) but I would prefer to find a good kelpie x whippet or stag or grey in that order of preference to use. Basically I definitely want some good quality kelpie in my next lurcher.

I am on my second Picardy cross the last one was a class act but didn't make old bones. The one I got now is ten months old and a work in progress but showing similar traits to Sam. When I need another dog its got a good chance I will pick another Picardy blooded mutt

• Like 1

I wish to find a good long legged paddock type (rather than yard type) kelpie to put over one of my bitches in 2 to 3 years(one is saluki x stag one is saluki x whippet) but I would prefer to find a good kelpie x whippet or stag or grey in that order of preference to use. Basically I definitely want some good quality kelpie in my next lurcher.

Whats the diffrence between a paddock kelpie and a yard kelpie...?

I am on my second Picardy cross the last one was a class act but didn't make old bones. The one I got now is ten months old and a work in progress but showing similar traits to Sam. When I need another dog its got a good chance I will pick another Picardy blooded mutt

I do like the look of the picardy lurcher? Do they have the fire to tackle big game? they look hardy dogs. ATB S2H

A paddock type kelpie tends to work with greater distance from the sheep and have a wider natural cast whereas the yard type are up close and often noisier. The latter are used for pushing sheep around for dipping, clipping etc and are the ones you see backing. They also have separate trials for the two traits and a dog which does both equally well is a bit of a holy grail. Hope that makes sense.

To Silversnake: my pup has a fair bit of Karrawarra in him via both Boanong and Karana blood and they tend to be better paddock types. A lot of the karrawarra breeding is very long legged and "greyhoundy"...for want of a better word. Good luck in your search!

• Like 3

I do like the look of the picardy lurcher? Do they have the fire to tackle big game? they look hardy dogs. ATB S2H

Can only speak of the one i had. He was a brave dog and cock sure of himself had plenty of fire.

• Like 2

A paddock type kelpie tends to work with greater distance from the sheep and have a wider natural cast whereas the yard type are up close and often noisier. The latter are used for pushing sheep around for dipping, clipping etc and are the ones you see backing. They also have separate trials for the two traits and a dog which does both equally well is a bit of a holy grail. Hope that makes sense.

To Silversnake: my pup has a fair bit of Karrawarra in him via both Boanong and Karana blood and they tend to be better paddock types. A lot of the karrawarra breeding is very long legged and "greyhoundy"...for want of a better word. Good luck in your search!

Thanks Neal, you explained that better than I could have and answered a question I was planning to ask you one day about the leggier strains of kelpie. If I could I would give you two likes lol
  • Like 1

My dad has the sister to my kelpie and she's his main sheepdog she can work a long way out on the fell and will do your nut in barking in the sheep pens its like shes stuck on a loop but she cant half shift sheep on.

Where as mine wont make much if any noise around sheep but is very good at gently driving sheep on witch is a good thing when they've had a hard time and are a bit soft. Ive no idea about the breeding names wise. We got them from a mate who sheared most of his life all over the world and spent a lot of time in australia and fetched a couple back when he settled down onto a farm.

Do you work yours?

• Like 1