calling foxes

how do members get their foxes close. I can call most foxes but only to about 50/75 yards of me after that they seam to not like what they are hearing

or they get wind of me is there a different call i should be using when they are getting close

i would like to have them nearer to start a new dog of so as not to frustrate him with long runs that he either doesnt see or they are out of lamp before he has had a chance

how do members get their foxes close. I can call most foxes but only to about 50/75 yards of me after that they seam to not like what they are hearing

or they get wind of me is there a different call i should be using when they are getting close

i would like to have them nearer to start a new dog of so as not to frustrate him with long runs that he either doesnt see or they are out of lamp before he has had a chance

you could try dubbling the dog up with a more expeiranced dog and this would also give the dog more confidence and prevent the dog getting smashed up first time.

you lads have it lucky over there in ireland.. but if your dog aint seeing a fox at that distance leeds me to believe it aint been out lamping rabbits nearly enough to have any confidence in taking it out on larger more important quarry.. not being arsey but i type what i think.. also id dear bet alot of folk on hear used to have on average slips that were a goog bit longer than 50 yards

you lads have it lucky over there in ireland.. but if your dog aint seeing a fox at that distance leeds me to believe it aint been out lamping rabbits nearly enough to have any confidence in taking it out on larger more important quarry.. not being arsey but i type what i think.. also id dear bet alot of folk on hear used to have on average slips that were a goog bit longer than 50 yards

50 yards is OK if the fox has seen a lamp or heard a squeak before.

who said anything about Ireland

great answer if we had any rabbits to practise on mxys done them all round our way anyhow dog is taking rabbits ok and occasional big ears but as you probably know a lot of difference between rabbit and fox ie rabbits will squat till dog approaches and plenty of oppertunities

question was am i doing anything wrong getting foxes to 50/75 yards could i be doing better

ps when i have given dog confidence i will also be able to run them further out

please constructive answers

the dogs ment to run after its quarry before it catchs it, not just jump of the lead and pounce on its back... :tongue2: you boys need to realise how lucky you are... i used to take my fair share on the lamp( pre ban) and at a guess id be lucky if 2 or 3 in 10 would come in to 50 odd yards..

who said anything about Ireland

great answer if we had any rabbits to practise on mxys done them all round our way anyhow dog is taking rabbits ok and occasional big ears but as you probably know a lot of difference between rabbit and fox ie rabbits will squat till dog approaches and plenty of oppertunities

question was am i doing anything wrong getting foxes to 50/75 yards could i be doing better

ps when i have given dog confidence i will also be able to run them further out

please constructive answers

get off ya high horse.. it was constructive, if you dont think it was then thats up to you, and as you replied to my answer a little shitty heres your answer

its illegal to run foxs with a lurcher , unless your a lucky irish man :feck::doh: ya plank

the dogs ment to run after its quarry before it catchs it, not just jump of the lead and pounce on its back... :tongue2: you boys need to realise how lucky you are... i used to take my fair share on the lamp( pre ban) and at a guess id be lucky if 2 or 3 in 10 would come in to 50 odd yards..

totally agree mate :thumbs::thumbs:

Guest oldskool
Keep its attention by squeaking while the dogs running down the beam, that way the dog will get closer before it trys to make its escape.

:thumbs: on a blustery night you can hold theyre attention with a squeak until the dogs up theyre arse :) ...

pigeon dave... you must be from here where it is still legal or else you gotta be talking about when you were doing it before the ban started??? you should let us know that before the thread proceeds.... other wise it is an illegal activity and you should be ashamed for not upholding the law :)