hares!!!

SJM What if the dog only has a chance of 1 maybe 2 up and at them strikes before the hare makes its escape, which breed would be better then?

Edited by joe ox

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither, cos the greyhound would probably overshoot and the saluki might not be fast enough :laugh: If it was over a short distance in a small field I would probably put my money on a good sized racing whippet if were still talking pure breeds. Thats the reason why we have lurchers Joe, to try and blend the best qualities from different breeds, to produce the ultimate dog, or as close to it as possible. Why do you always try and diss salukis? Surely its common sense that a selectively bred distance runner is going to beat a sprinter with very little in the tank every time? I think the salukis track record on the coursing field speaks for itself. Ive never heard of any pure greys, deerhounds or even whippets that could compete and stand their own against saluki lurchers on the fens, but if you know different please share?? :yes:

Neither, cos the greyhound would probably overshoot and the saluki might not be fast enough :laugh: If it was over a short distance in a small field I would probably put my money on a good sized racing whippet if were still talking pure breeds. Thats the reason why we have lurchers Joe, to try and blend the best qualities from different breeds, to produce the ultimate dog, or as close to it as possible. Why do you always try and diss salukis? Surely its common sense that a selectively bred distance runner is going to beat a sprinter with very little in the tank every time? I think the salukis track record on the coursing field speaks for itself. Ive never heard of any pure greys, deerhounds or even whippets that could compete and stand their own against saluki lurchers on the fens, but if you know different please share?? :yes:

u cant beat the saluki for staminer and most will run for days thats why so many people cross them with the greyhound for there early pace hoping to get the dog that can get to there hare, and then if need to stick to there job , until its done as a lot of money can be made out of 3 out of 3 coursing matches

Edited by pigeonphill

If you're talking just the one run, mabye two, on average size fields, my wonga would be on the pure Greyhound, an experienced coursing dog mind.

From what ive seen on meets out with the club at Swaffam, those pure greys are hell bent on getting that hare in their mouth! Combine that with their blinding speed and that tad of experience, would take some beating IMO, ;)

If your looking at bigger land, multipul runs... of course the Saluki,

other end of scale, no prises for guessing whats comming.... well bred whippet,

JMO,.... but what do i know.... :blink:

:drink::drink::drink:

SJM, I aint dissing the saluki I just dont worship it like some do! The saluki is a PIECE of the daytime puzzle which can be very hard to get correct.

Well thats for sure, its very hard to get all the right qualities in just the right measure :thumbs:

this is a real conundrum pure speed then the greyhound

pure stamina then the saluki

agility then it's either or

being realistic it just depends on the ground that you are hunting

hills then it's the greyhound

flat fields then it's the blistering speed of the greyhound

vast open spaces the it's the saluki

so it really comes down to a matter of choice.

Both breeds have floors or why else would there crosses be so popular.

A little thing called hybrid vigour.

Littel, but very important, have a read up on it.

It makes a huge difference in many thing, from the plant world, right upto humans.

It makes a huge difference in many thing, from the plant world, right upto humans.

I dont need to read up on it I am well aware of what it means, thats basicly what I said just in plain terms!

at the waterloo cup, the best greyhounds from uk raced, doubled up..well experienced dogs...how many hares get caught? not many is it....i remember one year it was 3, on the first day.....so that doesnt really put the greyhound down as a good catch dog does it really...you need them in a lurcher for speed but thats about it

I dont need to read up on it I am well aware of what it means, thats basicly what I said just in plain terms!

no, you didnt. You said you get the best bit of both, in a plain sorta roundabout way.

You didnt mention, or allude to the fact that as well as that, you get some thing else.

Hybrid vigour.