Pistol For Humane Dispatch Etc Etc ?

Guest vin

Hello all.

I work in pest control and on the odd occasion get a call to remove a rat/squirrel from a cage/bin/loft/under plinth/cupboard etc etc.. sometimes the pest may be in a position where it is required that it be shot quickly and humanely etc etc.

I have an air rifle for obvious use..but on the odd occasion it would be a lot easier with a hand gun/pistol set up.. I also have on old but well working Webley Tempest pistol for this emergency situation..But with it being a single shot it makes it tricky to get 100% clean kill 1st time every time..

My question .. Is there a decent relatively affordable (second hand maybe ?) pistol that fires multi shots that is definitely powerful enough to kill small critters quickly/humanely..probably pcp type ?

thanks for any help offered.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use "combs" when I've rats, squirrels or mink in my traps. This gets them in a tight space and unable to move around in the cage. A tempest is more than capable then

Fair point, it would also look unprofessional if you need a second shot at all, but I do understand, it does happen.   HW45 then

Just a thought though, if it is tree rats you after or are the target of choice, you dont want to be picking up a mightly pissed off squirrel with one hand and bashing it with the other... it'll chew

Any 'decent' pistol will do...

Why not use your rifle again for that second shot? Or just ring a neck...

Can't use a rifle when I'm in a confined space .. that's the reason for the pistol question.. It would look very unprofessional trying to neck a rat or squirrel in front of a distressed paying customer :hmm:

Can't use a rifle when I'm in a confined space .. that's the reason for the pistol question.. It would look very unprofessional trying to neck a rat or squirrel in front of a distressed paying customer :hmm:

Fair point, it would also look unprofessional if you need a second shot at all, but I do understand, it does happen.

HW45 then :)

• Like 1

Fair point, it would also look unprofessional if you need a second shot at all, but I do understand, it does happen.

HW45 then :)

there's been occasions where there are more than 1 to shoot also... 12 in a wheelie bin was the most so far...it can get tricky when there trying to jump up the rifle barrel etc etc.. :thumbs:

A HW45 will do the job but expect to pay handy money for one as good examples fetch good brass as collectors pieces.

The Webley tempest or Hurricane are just as good and recommend by a certain conservation trust for dispatching trapped mink in cages.

I would steer clear of the co2 or gas ram types. There's more poke in a wind up frog IMO.

I would also look for a .177 otherwise you may end up with a ricochet in your face.

Personally I would forget the whole humane dispatch with an air pistol and opt for a good set of welding gauntlets and nice cosh.

A HW45 will do the job but expect to pay handy money for one as good examples fetch good brass as collectors pieces.

The Webley tempest or Hurricane are just as good and recommend by a certain conservation trust for dispatching trapped mink in cages.

I would steer clear of the co2 or gas ram types. There's more poke in a wind up frog IMO.

I would also look for a .177 otherwise you may end up with a ricochet in your face.

Personally I would forget the whole humane dispatch with an air pistol and opt for a good set of welding gauntlets and nice cosh.

I can see you now matey... trying to tap it and not hit yer little twinkly fingers at the same time.. lol

Just a thought though, if it is tree rats you after or are the target of choice, you dont want to be picking up a mightly pissed off squirrel with one hand and bashing it with the other... it'll chew ya face off.

• Like 1

Just a thought though, if it is tree rats you after or are the target of choice, you dont want to be picking up a mightly pissed off squirrel with one hand and bashing it with the other... it'll chew ya face off.

Only if you grip it like a lady....

A Crosman 2240 pistol is one of the more powerful CO2 pistols. Still only one shot though.

Look at you discussing puff guns as you so eloquently say :laugh:

Haven't you some brass to polish or dog puke to clean up?

A Crosman 2240 pistol is one of the more powerful CO2 pistols. Still only one shot though.

No. I'm here to assist. :D

No. I'm here to assist. :D

May god help us!!!