Boar

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best talked about face to face,not on this www thingy gents.atb dc

Feral wild boar have no specific legal protection but are covered by more general legislation covering mammals in the wild, such as the Wild Mammals Protection Act, 1996 and the Wildlife and Countrysi

They can take a dog quite far in certain situations, move through cover extremely well for their size and can shift when they want to. But you're right they stink to a dog and in open land can be run

Posted Images

I've shot a fair few and followed up/dealt with wounded ones either from poor shot placement or ones involved in RTA'S and they are definitely not for the faint hearted. Started a thread in the bushing section as I have not used dogs on them yet but was of the thinking a smaller dog would have a lot more advantages over more traditionally used tracking breeds. As for long dogs I've read in the Aussie pig hunting mags that they use GH x's along with their catch dogs and bayers. but haven't seen any footage of them working. Know that doesn't really relate to your question but thought might be of interest ;)

• Like 2

Having been lucky enough to travel overseas and work them fairly regularly with dogs, if say they are the toughest quarry you'd find in the uk. There is also a big big difference between a little porker of 60 kilos and under and the bigger ones, especially the big boars. A 120 kilo plus tusker, can do a hell of a lot of damage to a dog in a small space of time. Lots of dogs won't meet them head on and you can't stop them without facing the front end. Know of a couple of dogs killed and twice seen a determined dog get beat to a bloody pulp. They are am amazing and awe inspiring animal and so so clever. It's a huge shame that for so many they are just an unwanted pest to e shot out of hand or worse, just a trophy to kill any which way and brag about. I

• Like 2

Many different styles of dogs used to catch boar and many different ways to hunt them with dogs. Pair the wrong styles of dogs together and it will equal very bad things. Hunt a particular style of dog the wrong way and it will also equal bad bad problems. Lots and lots of folks don't truly understand why certain catch dogs within certain breeds have knacks for doing so well at staying injury free while performing soooo well. The common thought here in the USA is any dog that will catch and hold a big boar is a good catch dog. Very difficult to talk honestly with such people. Many many folks don't truly understand their own dogs much less other styles and so talking about hog dogging and my style is pretty non productive amongst most hunters.

• Like 2

I never see a boar as a prized catch. Id much prefere to see my dog run down a deer in the day even more so a stag then to watch my dog hanging off mrs n missy piggy that doesnt really challange in terms of running. Its whole different challenge to a running dog which is maninly Just technique really for boar. I have family friends who only hunt boar have done for generations but by f**k its boring. When we go out. They not even fun to hunt. Soon as dog gets wift of the scent it over. They dont get very far, compared to deer. I break my dog to boar to prevent the inconvience of disrupting me hunt.

They can take a dog quite far in certain situations, move through cover extremely well for their size and can shift when they want to. But you're right they stink to a dog and in open land can be run down fairly well. But I certainly wouldn't call them easy!

• Like 4

I never see a boar as a prized catch. Id much prefere to see my dog run down a deer in the day even more so a stag then to watch my dog hanging off mrs n missy piggy that doesnt really challange in terms of running. Its whole different challenge to a running dog which is maninly Just technique really for boar. I have family friends who only hunt boar have done for generations but by f**k its boring. When we go out. They not even fun to hunt. Soon as dog gets wift of the scent it over. They dont get very far, compared to deer. I break my dog to boar to prevent the inconvience of disrupting me hunt.

Very unlikely you have a dog that could even handle an average pg much less a good one. You sound like a jelous boring fool since you can't even catch dogs with deer now.

Here is something your ignorant jelous as is gonna hate, the dogs I run catch and kill coyotes and are used to catch and kill deer in contracted areas. Your a fool!

Having been lucky enough to travel overseas and work them fairly regularly with dogs, if say they are the toughest quarry you'd find in the uk. There is also a big big difference between a little porker of 60 kilos and under and the bigger ones, especially the big boars. A 120 kilo plus tusker, can do a hell of a lot of damage to a dog in a small space of time. Lots of dogs won't meet them head on and you can't stop them without facing the front end. Know of a couple of dogs killed and twice seen a determined dog get beat to a bloody pulp. They are am amazing and awe inspiring animal and so so clever. It's a huge shame that for so many they are just an unwanted pest to e shot out of hand or worse, just a trophy to kill any which way and brag about. I

tougher then a red stag?

Very unlikely you have a dog that could even handle an average pg much less a good one. You sound like a jelous boring fool since you can't even catch dogs with deer now.

Here is something your ignorant jelous as is gonna hate, the dogs I run catch and kill coyotes and are used to catch and kill deer in contracted areas. Your a fool!

Yes mate im so jealous of you , that much im gonna beg you to let me know the secret lmao seriously read my posts properly you backward twat. I break my dog to boar. means i dont want to hunt them with my dogs. Before the ban i only wanted to hunt deer instead of the dogs getting distracted by boar. Hence why i broke them from them. Also wow you catch deer with same dogs. Where did i say you cant haha. Think you cryed cos i think boar arnt a prized catch. Big deal. Place be shit if we all liked and thought the same stuff. Deal with it.