Muhammad Ali

In a decades time, which heavy weights will folk be remembering?? And discussing on forums, it surely won't be anyone recent.. Is Tyson going to be the last big name?? Has man stopped evolving in boxing terms? Heavyweight boxing peaked in the 70,s ,80,s.?? Surely the way lads train,eat diet and live now must make some over all better fighters now ,

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't agree more. Ali must have been shaking his head in disbelief at the recent Fury Klitscko fight. The standard of heavyweight boxing has plummeted so much it's almost unrecognisable. It's mostl

I will never understand this logic its like watching West Ham beat Preston North End 4 - 0 every week and then just presume they would do the same to Man Utd and Arsenal !.....Ali would have played wi

I believe a lot of that is to do with the fact that fighters can do the distance so easily today.......12 rounds is no longer enough to fully test the guts and resolve of a fighter and so the temptati

In a decades time, which heavy weights will folk be remembering?? And discussing on forums, it surely won't be anyone recent.. Is Tyson going to be the last big name?? Has man stopped evolving in boxing terms? Heavyweight boxing peaked in the 70,s ,80,s.?? Surely the way lads train,eat diet and live now must make some over all better fighters now ,

Wlad will be remembered for years to come no doubt about that, he's achieved ATG status wether people believe it or not. True most of his fights were a bore fest but he reigned at the top for a decade and was only surpassed by Joe Louis and Larry Holmes in title defences. Thing is with Boxing you can't gauge wether the sport has evolved like you can in say Athletics. The eyes are as good a yardstick as anything IMO and I think the sport has regressed if anything.

This Giant ethos is just like how many empty seats there is instead of what's importan

Ie how many seats are sold.

Obviously these small 6'0ft to 6'3" blokes are just not good enough or they would rule.

Times move on.

Does your whole existence revolve around the Sunderland thread and getting your own back on those who have made you look a plonker?

Quite sad really.

• Like 2

i think mma was the next step forward for fighting men

Or a massive step back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

Or a massive step back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

in that link it looks like 2 gaylords onions deep, fighting in the nude Lolololol, 1st ever gay mag?????

I have no respect for Tyson. Check out his behaviour in the vid. He is scared to death of Lewis, hence the attack. He's like a cornered nervous dog biting through fear. Listen to the fear in his voice when he has his toddler -like meltdown. Then he turns on an innocent woman and tries to intimidate her, having failed miserably to intimidate Lewis. Lewis reckoned the bite was an attempt to get out of the fight. If you are interested enough, have a look at Tyson's behaviour after the fight when he is interviewed in the ring with Lewis. He grovels to Lewis. It's embarrassing. Again he's like a dog or a wolf trying to appease the pack leader. Not my favourite boxer/man. How would he have coped with Ali, the master of the mind games?

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1

Those " giants " were 6 ft 5 or 6 fighting good fighters ................todays giants are far bigger and fighting far inferior fighters.

Yeah and a 6ft 6 "Giant" has just dominated the sport for a decade so I don't get your point, if you're good enough you're big enough IMO.

Yes but thats very close to " if your big enough your good enough " and thats dangerous for the sport......my point is that those giants of yesterday were rarely able to beat the best fighters out there......today they can dominate them,you think its because those giants today are better fighters i dont agree i think its simply because the level of fighters these days is so poor that the saying can now be changed to " a very average biggun will beat a good littlun "

That's something that can't be proved though, true I don't think the smaller fighters of today could carry the likes of Joe Louis, Joe Frazier, Evander Holyfields jockstrap. I could imagine the Holyfield of 92 weighing 205lb clearing the division up now but who knows? The size difference could be too much but I doubt it, he did pretty well against 6"5', 235lb Riddick Bowe.

Again,you are talking about 6 ft 5 and 235 lb.......Tyson Fury is 6 ft 9 and 260 odd....more importantly he has an 85 inch reach !!.....i couldnt envisage Holyfield getting anywhere near him,and even if he did Fury would have the strength to wrap him up.......hence for me an all time great heavyweight that couldnt beat a very average heavyweight just because he,s not big enough is not a good position for the sport to be in.

• Like 1

You have to look at the logic and purpose of what we are trying to achieve in a boxing match......since time began virtues such as strength/speed/durability/timing/toughness/guts/skill/power/intelligence/athleticsm/will to win etc etc all played their part......in a fight where 1 man can win even though he is far inferior to his opponents in many of those attributes you start to compromise on the essence of what sport is actually about.............or else why dont we do away with weight divisions altogether and lets see how Ray Robinson would fare against Ali or Mayweather would fare against David Haye........its just a silly concept but thats what we are at risk of doing with a heavyweight division that can cover a foot in height difference and 3/4 stone in weight.

What about the Cruiswerweight division? That is similarly unfair, 175lb to 200lb. If they did create a Super Heavyweight division than all the Heavyweights would just move up anyway. Wlad is around the same size has Primo Carnera, infact he's lighter. One ruled for a decade and one was Champion for a reason. The main reason is ability but also lack of top quality opponents, doesn't warrant a new division being created though IMO.

So are you saying that you think its acceptable for a physical advantage to be the defining quality between 2 men fighting for the greatest prize in sport ?....for me sport is about a whole lot more than how big you are.

Golden Boy ......one of the biggest promotional outfits in world boxing.....Buddy Mcgirt,a reknowned trainer in world boxing.......are putting their hopes in a man who makes Tyson Fury look like a midget.......and you dont think size is destroying heavyweight boxing.

http://boxrec.com/boxer/691769

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

Those " giants " were 6 ft 5 or 6 fighting good fighters ................todays giants are far bigger and fighting far inferior fighters.

Yeah and a 6ft 6 "Giant" has just dominated the sport for a decade so I don't get your point, if you're good enough you're big enough IMO.

Yes but thats very close to " if your big enough your good enough " and thats dangerous for the sport......my point is that those giants of yesterday were rarely able to beat the best fighters out there......today they can dominate them,you think its because those giants today are better fighters i dont agree i think its simply because the level of fighters these days is so poor that the saying can now be changed to " a very average biggun will beat a good littlun "

That's something that can't be proved though, true I don't think the smaller fighters of today could carry the likes of Joe Louis, Joe Frazier, Evander Holyfields jockstrap. I could imagine the Holyfield of 92 weighing 205lb clearing the division up now but who knows? The size difference could be too much but I doubt it, he did pretty well against 6"5', 235lb Riddick Bowe.

Again,you are talking about 6 ft 5 and 235 lb.......Tyson Fury is 6 ft 9 and 260 odd....more importantly he has an 85 inch reach !!.....i couldnt envisage Holyfield getting anywhere near him,and even if he did Fury would have the strength to wrap him up.......hence for me an all time great heavyweight that couldnt beat a very average heavyweight just because he,s not big enough is not a good position for the sport to be in.

I'd say being 6"5' and 235lb is big enough to be labeled a Super Heavyweight, funnily Fury only weighed 247lb against Wlad, hardly a massive difference there. Lennox Lewis had a 84 inch reach and Holyfield pushed him close in both bouts. Evander also fought someone much bigger than Fury in Valuev and was blatantly robbed, he was 46 years old as well.

I'd say being 6"5' and 235lb is big enough to be labeled a Super Heavyweight, funnily Fury only weighed 247lb against Wlad, hardly a massive difference there. Lennox Lewis had a 84 inch reach and Holyfield pushed him close in both bouts. Evander also fought someone much bigger than Fury in Valuev and was blatantly robbed, he was 46 years old as well.

So i ask you again.......do you think it right and proper that the greatest prize in professional sport should be so heavily influenced by physical size ?......me i think it go,s against the essence of what competetive sport is all about.....but where the line should be drawn size/weight wise im not too sure.

king dong never thought id see a 7 foot cuff link

It doesnt matter if he is better at frying a special chow mein than throwing a punch.......just as long as he picks up the greatest prize in sport ;)

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more. Ali must have been shaking his head in disbelief at the recent Fury Klitscko fight. The standard of heavyweight boxing has plummeted so much it's almost unrecognisable. It's mostly about over-sized freaks desperately keeping their head out of range of the other guy's punches.

Fury V klitchko was a fiasco nothing less

• Like 1

So i ask you again.......do you think it right and proper that the greatest prize in professional sport should be so heavily influenced by physical size ?......me i think it go,s against the essence of what competetive sport is all about.....but where the line should be drawn size/weight wise im not too sure.

But when you change the weight classes 'super heavyweight' would be the biggest prize in boxing,they would be the men no-one else on earth could beat.

I think this is why cruiserweight was created.