Wolfhound In A Lurcher

A breed with such a history, but that nowerdays suffers so many heath problems, what would they give to British Lurcherdom??

A few deerhound breeders sneaked them in a while back when the show trend in deerhounds was for big dogs, yes they got big dogs, big coarse and cloddy fuckers, with cardiomiopathy etc etc etc..too. f****d deerhounds up, will f**k lurchers up too.

• Like 2

My cousin owned a bullmastiff x wolfhound. The man who bred it had been using the same line for 30 odd years only on pigs and it was HUGE! It was like a locomotive with huge strides and could run and it hit quarry extremely hard. Unfortunately he couldn't stop it smashing kangaroos and emus and he got rid of it. I know someone who owns his progeny and they are quite handy pig dogs but don't have the same running style as the father and are heavier and slower. A lot of people over here use wolfhound in their lurchers but personally I prefer smaller, faster and more agile dogs. Obviously this is the modern wolfhound 'creation'. I would love to have seen the original beast in the field.

Thanks everyone for your replies , as i stated in my first post i am new to lurchers and i wasn't in any way suggesting using any in any breeding . was just curious that i hadn't seen any wolfhound in any of the mixes and some lurchers do tend to have a varied mix . I understand now about all the health problems and the sheer size and clumsiness of them it was just out of curiosity that's all . I have a two 7month old pups here jet is a 7/8 whippet 1/8 collie and my other merlin is a 50/50 whippet x italian grey and they are all i want small quick little things that will hopefully catch the odd rabbit for me one day .... Thanks Gents ATB merlin ...

All but 1 of my dogs have wolfhound in them. Have one female that is aprox 3/4 and she is the smallest dog I have and the most agile.

My dogs are pig dogs. If i was starting my own line of pig dogs, i would just line breed the hell out of a stag x dane cross

Wouldn't think there would be much sense in using a big dog such as a wolfhound or dane in any cross used for catching rabbits. Unless you wanted to catch bigger stuff such as pigs.post-99376-0-96392600-1448171057_thumb.jpg 3/4 wolfhound female

post-99376-0-68557500-1448171668_thumb.jpeg 2 of her pups. 1/3 wolfhound, 1/3 deerhound, and 1/3 greyhound

• Like 9

we owned a rescue wolfhound (shamus) lol. he was a gentle soul . badly abused as a young dog . he matured into a good guard dog that disliked men. and would get very protective of the womenfolk. he also disliked anyone that smelled of booze. he used to follow me when i went out with a little terrier pack. and once caught a half grown fox. this was took off him with the terriers in quick time. poor sod was bullied by the little dogs . they used to use him as a bed. and he wouldnt eat untill they all had their fill. he was a useless big lump but left a big hole when he went. and we all remember him with a great fondness. as for putting one in the mix. you would be better to use a poodle. :laugh:

• Like 4

we owned a rescue wolfhound (shamus) lol. he was a gentle soul . badly abused as a young dog . he matured into a good guard dog that disliked men. and would get very protective of the womenfolk. he also disliked anyone that smelled of booze. he used to follow me when i went out with a little terrier pack. and once caught a half grown fox. this was took off him with the terriers in quick time. poor sod was bullied by the little dogs . they used to use him as a bed. and he wouldnt eat untill they all had their fill. he was a useless big lump but left a big hole when he went. and we all remember him with a great fondness. as for putting one in the mix. you would be better to use a poodle. :laugh:

Bedlington terriers are mostly poodle aren't they?

I actually don't think a poodle x would be such a bad thing,compared to some of the weird x's people come out with.

I actually don't think a poodle x would be such a bad thing,compared to some of the weird x's people come out with.

Have you seen my thread in bushing dog section got a 3/4 mini poodle 1/4 lab pup lol

Have you seen my thread in bushing dog section got a 3/4 mini poodle 1/4 lab pup lol

There's a mini poodle owned by an old lady round the corner from me,it's a lunatic,madder than any spaniel I've seen.

I actually reckon if it was brought on from a pup it would have made a busher,how's yours doing?

• Like 1

Many years ago, before I had lurchers, I had had two Wolfhounds. They were what brought me to lurchers. The first I owned since a pup, and she could catch rabbits with no problem at all. I lived in the New Forest with her for a time and she got very good at stalking and catching rabbits. The second I didn't get until she was 6 years old, and she had been abused. She had a slightly bent front leg from a badly healed break, and she was a ferocious guard dog and very suspicious of men she didn't know. I was looking after a herd of goats in France and she adopted the goats, acted as herd guardian and let the kids play under her belly and all around her. It got so that I could take the goats up the mountain in the morning and leave the Wolfhound to guard them while I went back to the farm and got on with the jobs. That dog stayed with the goats until it was time to come home in the late afternoon, and then she'd lead them back to their barn. They all knew several different grazing routes and if they were late I could stand and call them and they'd soon come into sight, with the Wolfhound leading the way. You can't drive goats in the same way as sheep, and the dog learned it all from my novice efforts and her own superb brain.

• Like 7

There's a mini poodle owned by an old lady round the corner from me,it's a lunatic,madder than any spaniel I've seen.

I actually reckon if it was brought on from a pup it would have made a busher,how's yours doing?

She's settling in well,not had her long 3-4 weeks now I think? Need to get on with retrieving but recall an lead training been doddle so far. She just kangarood abit when we first put it on her,she sometimes does it going through a door or gateway,dunno why.

She's settling in well,not had her long 3-4 weeks now I think? Need to get on with retrieving but recall an lead training been doddle so far. She just kangarood abit when we first put it on her,she sometimes does it going through a door or gateway,dunno why.

Maybe just a bit excited or anxious about getting a paw stood on,sounds like it'll be a nice steady type of dog.

Maybe just a bit excited or anxious about getting a paw stood on,sounds like it'll be a nice steady type of dog.

Could be right about the excitable bit,only other blip was crouching when cars went flying past when we went along narrow pavement on road out of town other day,just needs to get used to it.

Could be right about the excitable bit,only other blip was crouching when cars went flying past when we went along narrow pavement on road out of town other day,just needs to get used to it.

I had an English bull that at 4 years old had only left its yard a couple of times in it's life when I got it,and was scared of cars.

I just rubbed her down for 5-10 mins after every walk by a main road,which had her sorted in a week,but that was in summer.

• Like 1