Wolfhound In A Lurcher

Evening gents , I am new to lurchers so i'm learning a lot on this site and always look at your dogs with interest but i've noticed no has any wolfhound in their lurcher mixes , is there a reason for this as in are they too big or just not quick enough ? i would have thought being bred for hunting wolves that they must be tough dogs , with good stamina and the rough coat is always a good quality in a lurcher . Interested to hear your views as you guys are a knowledgable bunch . be gentle on me please if this a stupid question like i say i am new to lurchers .. ATB merlin..

They may be where at one point but the show fraternity saw a end to that, and as they where used on wolves which no longer exist in this country, I wouldn't see a use for such cross, there are better breeds of dogs out there to be used.... though I'm sure a few aussie lads use them and swear by them

• Like 2

Evening gents , I am new to lurchers so i'm learning a lot on this site and always look at your dogs with interest but i've noticed no has any wolfhound in their lurcher mixes , is there a reason for this as in are they too big or just not quick enough ? i would have thought being bred for hunting wolves that they must be tough dogs , with good stamina and the rough coat is always a good quality in a lurcher . Interested to hear your views as you guys are a knowledgable bunch . be gentle on me please if this a stupid question like i say i am new to lurchers .. ATB merlin..

There's no such dog as a "wolfhound mate" the dogs you see called wolfhounds were "re created" by two Belgian blokes using Deerhound and great Dane blood mainly, from memory about 150 years back, there's some rubbish about them sourcing the "real blood" in Ireland to make it semi authentic, but its total bollocks, look at the Deerhound sites, laugh a minute. Could be wrong? but my own thoughts are that Deerhounds and the old Wolfhound are the same dog. These dogs were highly prized, and only owned by royalty/clan chiefs, they'd be gifted back and forth across the water (see the story of Gelert) and no doubt breeding between DH/WH took place, but like i said its only an educated guess.

• Like 5

Knew an old boy years ago that had a mastiff x wolfhound, Jesus that was a big dog! Couldn't catch a cold though but I suppose you wouldn't really expect it to be rapid :laugh:

Made the old boy feel safe when he was on his farm alone of a night though :thumbs:

• Like 1

Old boy near me who I normally walk the mutts with on a morning has one think it's wolf hound cross deer collie grey lurcher I'll grab a pic of it in the morning and chuck it up . It's been kept as pet pet but puts the odd thing in the freezer for him it's old now like

• Like 1

Only seen one with wolfhound in the mix work ,it was wolfhound x deerhound grey cross stood at around the 30 inch mark or there about . Although I have seen lurcher around this size surprise me how good they can be on rabbits and small game this one seemed to have to much wolfhound in mix and was to slow and clumsy on small game. so I think deerhound type cross be more handy than these big clumsy dogs so think wolfhound be best left out the mix and just kept for shows or if you want animal to produce large volumes of shit they could be kept for shit machines . Or at push draught excluders .

• Like 1

I shouldn't imagine you'd need any more height (or weight) than what a good size greyhound would give you. So adding a huge wolfhound wouldn't add anything other than even more size and weight ,bad hips liver shunts etc etc

So other than novelty value,in this country anyway ,I can't see the benefit.

They have never hunted wolves,as said they are a project to recreate a dog that ,probably wasn't as big as a wolfhound any way...

• Like 2

A few years ago there was a club put together with the intention of coursing with Wolfhounds.

I can't remember if it was the judge or whoever but a remark was said that 'Those Wolfhounds that did reach their quarry showed no desire to kill it'.

As someone said they are a re-created breed of dog. Incidentally, there's one in the Natural history museum in Dublin over one hundred years old and it's more like a lurcher than todays Wolfhound.

Celtic legend has it that the Irish Wolfhound was the equal of two men in battle (which means he was the equal of 5 Saxons) so I'm glad that the old type is extinct, LOL, they'd have a dangerous dog act all of their own.

• Like 1