Entered ????

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First dig to young Joe today nice little one hole spot under an earth floored barn around 1m 20 minutes in all the lad done me proud

Don't even consider blocking one end. Not only is it illegal but it will result in the young terrier taking un-necessary damage. Silly advice. A young terrier needs to always think that it has won. A

Had the dogs out on exorcise this morning just mooching around a couple of spots had young Joe off lead and collared up past a pipe that he sometimes shows interest in the nose went down and in he fle

Posted Images

Good start for the young dog. Imo a bit of a Chase for the terrier after Fox has bolted is an ideal thing to get a young terrier switched on. As others have said a nice handy dig in an earth next and not too much too soon. Best of luck with him.

Don't even consider blocking one end. Not only is it illegal but it will result in the young terrier taking un-necessary damage. Silly advice.

A young terrier needs to always think that it has won. And a bolt is a win. Every bit of work that makes the youngster feel good is all part of entering and anyone who likes to test pups shouldn't have a terrier IMO.

Entering is all about turning your youngster into a competent worker that will hopefully give you many seasons hard work. Making a fox turn around to defend itself will not help in any way.

As far as testing goes, whether you like it or not your terrier will be tested at some stage such is the nature of terrierwork but the later it happens the better.

If next time your near that pipe and the object is to kill a fox then bring a gun or a net with you.

• Like 4

Don't even consider blocking one end. Not only is it illegal but it will result in the young terrier taking un-necessary damage. Silly advice.

A young terrier needs to always think that it has won. And a bolt is a win. Every bit of work that makes the youngster feel good is all part of entering and anyone who likes to test pups shouldn't have a terrier IMO.

Entering is all about turning your youngster into a competent worker that will hopefully give you many seasons hard work. Making a fox turn around to defend itself will not help in any way.

As far as testing goes, whether you like it or not your terrier will be tested at some stage such is the nature of terrierwork but the later it happens the better.

If next time your near that pipe and the object is to kill a fox then bring a gun or a net with you.

A bolt is good enough for me mate like I said before I was only walking past it not checking it and no I wouldn't block one end of anything I'm new to terriers well working them to ground and I realise it is illegal I have read the hunting act and pride myself on carrying out any dog work within the law

As said drains are very deceiving or should i say can be .We do an old drainage system around an old sewage works which i hassen to add i have the plans for .Basically its the old storm drain from run off from concrete areas ,9 inches round ,3 ft deep and surrounded by clean stone .its basically a square grid with outflows to a nearby stream .Holds when its dry and cold .We have a slab on an old break through where i enter the dog and net all entrance ,exits .Never had a prob here except at the broken pipe area where dog had hold in days gone by .Last year we entered a keen dog sameplace and heard him bay on a known bend expecting a bolt from charlie any second .Never happened but dog was still baying then silence .Drains are very deceiving noise wise at the best of times ,the finder pointed to an area unknown and under concrete ffs .To the truck for bigger equipment and bust the 4 inches of concrete, luckily crumbly due to the passage of time

Ear to the ground revealed digging !,so in we went,busting the pipe, just in time to find the dog digging af a partly collapsed area .Lifted him and dug on to reveal a water filled pit with a half submerged fox that we despatched .Ive no doubt had the dog got through we would of found both dead as he was a very dettermined type .just go careful around drains .

• Like 1

There's a man made shore that we do and have done for years with great success.A couple of year back we put a dog of mine in [LUGS] and he bolted a fox but the lurchers missed it and it got back in the shore again.This shore was usually a straight forward affair,in 1 end out the other,about 100yds in lenght.The lads again took up positions with the lurchers but this time after half an hour nothing so on with the locater to find the terrier.I moved up and down the lenght of the shore but not a thing,not even the slightest mark.We then decided that it had to be the locater that was f****d as the coller had only new battereys installed that very morn so i headed for the van which was parked up in the yard about another 100 yds away the top end of the shore.I was still messing with the BnF when i started to get a signal,i was about 40 yds of the dog but was geting closer as i neared the gable of the farmers house.I came to where the farmer had dug a shore to bring services to a new part of the house and got a mark of 2mtr and when i jumped down into the trench i could clearly hear the dog just at the side of the bank and after pulling away a few rocks revealed both dog and fox.The farmer had broke through the old shore to bring in his services but you could clearly see where the original old shore carried on down towards the field at the front of his house.I also remember a dog belonging to Neil Cooney in this same shore years ago and same story only it was the old knocker boxes back then and we did not locate the dog,he eventually came out hours later with all the signs that he had killed his fox.We have done this place hundreds of times and them are the only couple of mishaps we have had.

• Like 2