Setting Up A Scope...

Thanks guys for all the input, I'll read it a few time let it sink in (hopefully) print it off for referance !! & have a go next week when home, I've downloaded ChairGun onto my phone (will this do or better on LapTop) not that Chair Gun meant much too me as I was looking through it, I take all you guys are using rangefinders for accurate yardage when setting up targets/plumb bobs etc...

Feel this could end up being a full morning or afternoon affair..lol

take your time with chairgun, have a play, leave then have another go..it'll go BING' ahhh i see now. and its easier to see on a full screen, although if you've got a later galaxy should be ok.

range finders are ok..but in a hunting situation you'll not always have time, you'll be wanting to dial in next! lol..although dialing in is just soooo nice n convenient for the distance stuff lol.

basicaly start up with a 50m tape, check google,15 od quids here and there. reason, you'll get to know as you set up and shoot at, something simple like pile stones, 1 big for 10, 2 big for 20 3 for 30..whatevers to hand basically, but dont neglect the 5's..

this side of 10 yard you'll shit yu pants at how much lift yu need between 5 and 2 yards lol. at some point its at the bottom of the scope (yu need to know where that is btw..sooner or later it arises,e.g. straight up verticle for instance)

as yu do it you'll build your guestimation pritty quick depending on how good or bad your eyes are. eather way yu need it...sooner you start the sooner you'll get there, the range finders are good for checking up your guess without needing a gun in your hand.(and later when tyred old eyes start playing up).

setting the scope on the gun? half hour tops, zero ing...ffff how longs a peace of string lol, start with 33 yards for 177...it'll be a yard in each way if not on (30meters to the younguns lol). thats what chairguns for btw..to determin where you want the tragectry arc to be on your scope, like all hold over? about 20-25 yards, half over half under to the 55 yard mark etc etc.. best in the middle ish for alround stuff,

btw..wonging off six million pellets in an after noon does 2 things, first, shows you where your brain starts to fade as your eyes spew up and.....wares yu out pointlesly lol, take yu time, bide yu time, e.g. 10 pellets in the moring ten pellets at night with 100 percent concentraion gets you there far quicker and far better than 1 day emptying the lead out the box..that fatigues yu eye and fecks yu distance perception up..makes your eyes tired and your mind goes blank bored.(yu learn nownt).

when you zero, shoot at the target once...come out of it, reloid, then take a fresh shot...yes there will be a group there, but a group is a machine shoot, and unless your already fluent with a couple three years in...its no use to the learning process..one at a time, move the turrets till your there..then take five, have a fag or what ever then then check the zero by putting a pellet some where, then shoot that hole..heres where the 'group' comes in, if theyre all close its you or the gun, if theyre all to one side its the zero.

idealy your hitting the holes when 'your on it' or hitting bang on the cross, thats the goal..when yudo it you'll be ready for the its not how far i can hit, its how far will the gun kill..

it goes like this..2 years later i can hit a 10p at 20 yards..wooooooo shudders yu cant hunt past 20 yards everybody...or..ffiffy five takes a careful eye is all lol. that two years has gone by then...then you've got another 5 to start hitting further out, see the difference? its large chucks of yu life span waisted spamming pellets...or the tortoise that overtakes well faster at the the end lol.

the rest will come as you do it...the whole point is regularly doing it..yu need to to get fluent.

have fun..lol

take your time with chairgun, have a play, leave then have another go..it'll go BING' ahhh i see now. and its easier to see on a full screen, although if you've got a later galaxy should be ok.

range finders are ok..but in a hunting situation you'll not always have time, you'll be wanting to dial in next! lol..although dialing in is just soooo nice n convenient for the distance stuff lol.

basicaly start up with a 50m tape, check google,15 od quids here and there. reason, you'll get to know as you set up and shoot at, something simple like pile stones, 1 big for 10, 2 big for 20 3 for 30..whatevers to hand basically, but dont neglect the 5's..

this side of 10 yard you'll shit yu pants at how much lift yu need between 5 and 2 yards lol. at some point its at the bottom of the scope (yu need to know where that is btw..sooner or later it arises,e.g. straight up verticle for instance)

as yu do it you'll build your guestimation pritty quick depending on how good or bad your eyes are. eather way yu need it...sooner you start the sooner you'll get there, the range finders are good for checking up your guess without needing a gun in your hand.(and later when tyred old eyes start playing up).

setting the scope on the gun? half hour tops, zero ing...ffff how longs a peace of string lol, start with 33 yards for 177...it'll be a yard in each way if not on (30meters to the younguns lol). thats what chairguns for btw..to determin where you want the tragectry arc to be on your scope, like all hold over? about 20-25 yards, half over half under to the 55 yard mark etc etc.. best in the middle ish for alround stuff,

btw..wonging off six million pellets in an after noon does 2 things, first, shows you where your brain starts to fade as your eyes spew up and.....wares yu out pointlesly lol, take yu time, bide yu time, e.g. 10 pellets in the moring ten pellets at night with 100 percent concentraion gets you there far quicker and far better than 1 day emptying the lead out the box..that fatigues yu eye and fecks yu distance perception up..makes your eyes tired and your mind goes blank bored.(yu learn nownt).

when you zero, shoot at the target once...come out of it, reloid, then take a fresh shot...yes there will be a group there, but a group is a machine shoot, and unless your already fluent with a couple three years in...its no use to the learning process..one at a time, move the turrets till your there..then take five, have a fag or what ever then then check the zero by putting a pellet some where, then shoot that hole..heres where the 'group' comes in, if theyre all close its you or the gun, if theyre all to one side its the zero.

idealy your hitting the holes when 'your on it' or hitting bang on the cross, thats the goal..when yudo it you'll be ready for the its not how far i can hit, its how far will the gun kill..

it goes like this..2 years later i can hit a 10p at 20 yards..wooooooo shudders yu cant hunt past 20 yards everybody...or..ffiffy five takes a careful eye is all lol. that two years has gone by then...then you've got another 5 to start hitting further out, see the difference? its large chucks of yu life span waisted spamming pellets...or the tortoise that overtakes well faster at the the end lol.

the rest will come as you do it...the whole point is regularly doing it..yu need to to get fluent.

have fun..lol

Thanks very much for this info Ghillies, much appreciated, home from Singapore on Thursday, so picking up used (mint) HW100T .22,with Hawke scope so looking forward to getting to grips with it, I know some would say maybe bit 'high end' from the off, & maybe should have went Springer route as I was intending to do, but managed to find good deal on the 100, so just went for it, so here's hoping I take to it relatively quick, I'll keep you poste as to whether I can hit 'anything' the issue wont be the gun it'll be me & my ageing eys...lol