SNARING FISH

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also the same principal used to be used on pheasants long pole with a snare :whistling:

have you ever tried it?.......

i have and i have to say don't believe everything you read....or hear from old poachers!! :yes:

its sooooo difficult to snare a roosting bird you woudlnt believe :yes:

So im told....JD

With you there JD .We had a go one night with a roach pole and wire but the damn pheasants kept ducking and diving and eventually flew off .Very disapointing . :icon_redface: .

Yes, just another silly poachers tale....

At one time or another i have experimented with many of these "old" methods....and...most have beena load of bull!!

Its all about being able to distinguish the perspective at night...never mind not spooking the bird!!! :doh:

:)

Good hunting...JD

i know a chap ( ;) ) who does it often! its easy just be aware of silohuetting(sp?) yerself ,keep low to the bank remember salmon are damn strong so ensure the snare is secued to a bit of para cord and tied to yer wrist! a rabbit snare or a leather bootlace will suffice,this method has in the past accounted for up to 5 silver bars in a night! oh yes if its done at night attach a nearly dead starlight to the noose to help see whats going on! ;)

My uncle used to be a balif near Amsebury wilts and he used to snare the pike that sat near a old mill.He used to take me weed cutting when i was a kid and as he was only little a big pike he would struggle with,had a long bamboo pole with a wire running up to his hand put it over thier heads and pull,used to work for him.Good old fella used to let the local kids fish but made sure they put them back,used to get loads of hippies swimming in the river when stonehenge festival used to be on but he never moaned thought of the river as everyones,he just looked after it.

• 2 months later...

Snaring??? whats wrong with a rod and a couple of spinners, both fish take them, and its more fish friendly. with all the trouble with asylum seekers taking fish and violence the bailiffs come mob handed and with body army and batons now, but best advice i can give is leave the pike to fight another day for fishermen, they sell cod in chippys and its nicer

feck me snaring salmon is easy ... i used to earn a decent living as a youngster when the salmon were running .... there is no great mystery or art to it .... as long as you have a decent breath and aproach the fish from behind slowly its fairly straight forward ..........

Mate of mine snared fish, Salmon, for years. Met him flighting duck last season, had not seen him for years. I asked about his "fishing activities" he told me he never does now due to the fact he got caught once and got a criminal record...Plus a £350 + costs. He has since obtained his firearms licence and would fear getting caught again. Could say goodby to his firearms licence apparently. :bye:

snared salmon ,but would prefer landing net and torch or gill net , when your nettting at nite sometimes the salmon sit tight into the banking and when they are tired after a heavy rain and they get stuck in a pool a snare like a rabbit snare but up the whole lenth of an old eyeless boat rod roughly five feet ,were i stay now we have salmon and seatrout youse never saw a spring type of teeler for salmon, you need a good strong wire that bites into the fish as heel fight , saw a few sea trout last year thta i lamped they went into the banking you just keep the wire steady slip it over his head hees snared like a rabbit , done it with treble hooks on a long cane to , usaly the back end of the year when they are waiting for water you keep the torch under water and slowly get to them i prefer the big landing net or gill net then stone them into net easy if you no how , as for snareing pheasants september ive saw birds in pens on low branches you could pick them of with your hand thye are tame,you could snare them no bother, but a good air rifle would be better, ive blasted birds at piont blankrange years ago usaly hen pheasants ,

i've got an old fishing book and there useing what looks like a gaff but with a bit of wire from where the point would be and attachs to the handle some how it whips round the fish when you try to 'gaff' it i swear im not mad does anyone know what im on about?

i've got an old fishing book and there useing what looks like a gaff but with a bit of wire from where the point would be and attachs to the handle some how it whips round the fish when you try to 'gaff' it i swear im not mad does anyone know what im on about?

hi, what your describing is a tailer,used by salmon fishers ,they tailed the fish in stead of gaffig it,thats not the tool for snaring a fish ,but an interesting comment,thanks jim

Some of the guys i know :whistling: would use a length of cord formed in to a noose and tied to the wrist. The noose is worked over the tail of the fish and can be pulled tight to retain the fish. (A more productive act than just tickling I suppose). A long boot lace was often used as it was easy to conceal as a fairly innocent piece of kit. However this was done mainly during the day with a couple of good look-outs not at night. At night the fish are in the open and easily scared by this activity and I would agree with previous comments are better taken with a gaff. During the day they get into the bank side and into tree roots and if you are careful and steady you can get quite a few. I've only seen it done in the upper reaches and the spawning tributaries where the water is shallow though . We must bear in mind that all of the activities above are highly illegal and are frowned upon by the authorities in the UK :no: .

there places ive caught sea trout were you would catch them easy with snare gaff big hand made landing net , our record was 28 one day with landingnet its a bit like bushing the fish are in holes you go down river a few feet poke the bankings they come out like rockets great fun biggest sea trout ive saw was 14 pound but had nine pounders , snareing with a stick can be done saw a guy use a hazel walking stick if you wanted one for the pot and no implements with you , caught them with a big mustad cod hook to , but you have to no were and when as fish only stay till the next heavy rains etc