Feeding Tinned Food

I feed raw ,but to be honest I think the owners get more out of it than the dogs.

most will thrive on most food ,the owners just feel they are doing their best by the dogs.

But I'd say most foods will get a dog 90% right it's that bit extra that they get from a balanced diet that makes the difference.

Regardless of how you feed and how much you pay,they have got to like what they eat to get enough to keep them healthy.

So if they won't eat top quality raw or dry ,tin dog food is as good as it gets for a skinny dog,if that's all they'll eat.

A change of habit in feeding can help a fussy eater,a mate had miNE while on holiday he came back eating anything after being a nightmare to feed

That's a very good point, piece of mind plays a big part when feeding raw..........a decent dog will still perform on the cheapest shite kibble, I've seen it..........but I'm a convert now ;-)

I have spent a fortune trying to get this one to eat....from human grade chicken to freeze dried beef ,to iams etc etc but if a dog won't eat a £50 bag of food or steak a £1 tin of chappie is going to give it more goodness all day

I know tough love is the way forward though ,and give them what YOU want them to eat (as long as they aren't dangerously thin) and be stubborn as they are

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Proud to say in 40 years of running dogs .............never opened a tin of dog meat .

I'm glad no offence was taken I avoid it myself but when needs must and all that I use the chubb from lidl and some dry mix and the cnuts do be rearing to go just look at the picture lol

plenty of dogs survive well enough on tin ed dog food and kibble . cant be that bad !!.

Posted Images

Why do they eat grass kingy

Either the dogs is lacking in nutritional needs or is trying to get more fibre in its diet. Or the no1 cause in my mind is trying to rid itself of intestinal worms. Wolfs don't skin rabbits or any other game. The fur of rabbits for instance acts like a brush to the inside internals of a dog and brushes out any worm eggs or any other parasites.us Humans can try to replicate that of nature by administering drugs. Ie tablets etc. but to no avail just try your best to copy nature as close as can be and you want go wrong.wolfs have been with us for 10s of thousands of years and are pure healthy specimens. It's quite simple just look at there diet.

bang on king, nature has the answers, look at the wild dogs of the world and theyre diet is top notch, try replicate it for our own
It's right mate they have thrived for thousands of years. Basically we just stand I front of the kennel dog runs and think I know the crack with brining this pup on. I've also studied dog feed regarding seasons etc. obviously this time of year start giving the dog hazel nuts. Black Berrys what's ever in season.

The scavenging dog will eat what is available at that time of year. We've all seen our dogs eating blackberrying raspberrys etc including shit. Rabbit or cow. They are doing it for a reason. But U.S. Humans shout stop or get away from that. At the end of the day the dog knows more regarding diet than we do.

• Like 1

What would you suggest to a pup that won't eat anything but tinned food sky cat , I hate the mass produced rubbish but the pup I have here won't touch anything but ? My other 2 only eat raw and now and again they will get dry which is alpha feed

Let the pup go hungry Steve when it's hungry it will eat what's in the bowl.

• Like 1

What would you suggest to a pup that won't eat anything but tinned food sky cat , I hate the mass produced rubbish but the pup I have here won't touch anything but ? My other 2 only eat raw and now and again they will get dry which is alpha feed

Just leave it like king said.it will eat once its hungry enough.

Have you tried feeding a quality dry food such as Iams or Purina? The more expensive dry foods are meat based, which means that meat is the main ingredient. Alpha is, I believe, cereal based. You can mix a bit of tinned food in to soaked dry food, which will give it the flavour the pup is used to. Then gradually reduce the amount of tinned food. How old is the pup anyway?
the pup is 9 weeks there abouts ,he is heavy saluki based so I was expecting a picky pup
Try cooking the meat for her but make sure all juices go in the bowl. I have a fussy eater with raw here. Only was she eat it tidy is if its cooked

I wouldnt do that with a saluki type yes it may eat when its hungry but that could be 3-4 days down the line . To much weight will be lost in a saluki type in that time. It could have a good feed and then be the same and not eat again. It much more practical to find what the dog likes a just go with that. I wouldnt do anything to hinder progress or growth of a pup
  • Like 1

I wouldnt do that with a saluki type yes it may eat when its hungry but that could be 3-4 days down the line . To much weight will be lost in a saluki type in that time. It could have a good feed and then be the same and not eat again. It much more practical to find what the dog likes a just go with that. I wouldnt do anything to hinder progress or growth of a pup

I have always done the same with my pups. If they don't like something, give them something else. I think it's important pups get plenty in them while they are growing. Even 24 hours without grub is too long IMO.

But this can create a fussy eater. I've been lucky, managed to get both of mine eating more as they got older and now they both eat anything. But they were both fussy as pups. Created by me giving them what they wanted.

To be honest the pup is a greedy pup with tinned food he has had it with dry food and rice today plus chicken legs raw In between but 2 tins he has gone through so even though he ain't eating what I would like him to eat he is putting the grub away well and doing well on it now my concern at first was he seemed to be starving him self I'll start adding more dry than tinned then eventually get him on raw only with the occasional bowl of dry he loves chicken raw but can't just survive on that so I'll play from here once he is at a healthy growing weight cheers , sorry for hijacking the original posters thread atvb Steve