What Makes A Good Lampsman

Over the years of lamping ive met a few different lampsman, some i have thought

what the fuc* are they up too with that lamp, and a couple i can honestly say ive learned from

watching them, especially from a younger age. I believe that the man behind the lamp

is as important as the dogs, ie bringing a pup on and a very experienced lampsman

will get results quicker and pup catching, and will also put more numbers in the bag

even with experienced dogs.

Because we have all read about good numbers, good bags, and good dogs, but

I would personally say that it also takes a good Lampsman

Happy Lamping.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Exceptional eyesight,ive the eyesight of Stevie Wonder thats why i lamp,eye hand coordination,we are talking about pointing a strong light at shiny fecking eyes not wanking in an eggcup and the only f

Hunting quarry under the spotlight's glare is great fun,.it is also productive,...but in truth, it sure ain't' Rocket Science....

I learnt my trade local then ventured a few miles into the Dales,the Dales lamping led me to believe i was the dogs bollocks of lampers,i owned and lamped jukels that could and did kill more game than

The ground some encounter may lead them to believe they are a lamper,on less productive land they would flounder.A good lamper knows when to release the hound,thats all there is to it.

Exactly, and where to position himself as well....

Calling in foxes is the test of a good lamper in my opinion!

The ground some encounter may lead them to believe they are a lamper,on less productive land they would flounder.A good lamper knows when to release the hound,thats all there is to it.

Depends on the time of year.

• Like 2

Yea, come November there's not too many that haven't had a lamp on them... Round here they're educated by August Ffs :-(

• Like 2

Yea, come November there's not too many that haven't had a lamp on them... Round here they're educated by August Ffs :-(

Around here they are lampshy in June,fecking keepers and teenagers.

some folk just take to it, some pick it up, some never learn, I always thought lamping lots of bunnies.wqa difficult tbh, just dealing with them all is a challenge, but lets be honest walking round fields higging hedges into the wind slipping out to bunnies aint exactly rocket science. I spent some time with guys that made it look easy, not just the lamping part. Conditioning dogs, dealing with bigger quarry than bunnies lol and using lamps in different ways. Getting onto runs which to say where spooked is.an.understatement. Go to dales and anybody can be a good lamper, fitness is the key Imo, but go to other places where the rabbits aint in same numbers, or where folk don't run rabbits and it gets more difficult, got to love lamping to be good at it, but we are always learning

I learnt my trade local then ventured a few miles into the Dales,the Dales lamping led me to believe i was the dogs bollocks of lampers,i owned and lamped jukels that could and did kill more game than the average lamper,then i lamped on their ground and went home with my tail betwixt my fat arse,the lads that learnt to lamp on land where the quarry was better educated knew more and better technique than their Dales cousins,i picked up the odd technique from these lads and my Dales quest became even more productive,then i realised how easy lamping was and so much less sporting than a daytime foray,i still lamp on land i cannot walk in the day,yet would rather have one daytime catch to a sackfull of night time activity,at times,the euphoria of the dark as its own merits methinks.

• Like 5

Exceptional eye sight ,Exceptional eye hand coordination,,,field craft,,,,,, making the hunt as easy as possible for the dog........

Exceptional eyesight,ive the eyesight of Stevie Wonder thats why i lamp,eye hand coordination,we are talking about pointing a strong light at shiny fecking eyes not wanking in an eggcup and the only fieldcraft needed is not tripping over a 5 bar gate.

• Like 9

Exceptional eye sight ,Exceptional eye hand coordination,,,field craft,,,,,, making the hunt as easy as possible for the dog........

Exceptional eyesight,ive the eyesight of Stevie Wonder thats why i lamp,eye hand coordination,we are talking about pointing a strong light at shiny fecking eyes not wanking in an eggcup and the only fieldcraft needed is not tripping over a 5 bar gate.