World Cup Group Draw, Road To Russia

If you get the chance WILF go to a hurling final,even go outta your way to see it,its a great sporting spectacle.

Don't know what's happened the Ireland team,all I can think of is its the same as what's been happening too England,the influx of foreign players keeping the lads out of top flight football.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I was a jock, I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a plane ticket and a fur hat, know what I mean

Can't agree with that big lad, if anything, parents should be able and in some cases made to spend more time with their kids not less. It's easy to knock teachers but having been a school govenor I h

Can't you tell that max hasn't got any kids!!

I will be out again every night this week and Saturday morning at GAA and football mate, I have to say I am massively impressed with the approach to sport in this country.

I love the way that it is supported, the participation is brilliant and it's great how every local paper has pages and pages of reports about every team from men to ladies, 8 year olds to seniors......it's simply brilliant and we could learn a thing or two from it in England.

The boy is mad to try hurling but what with boxing starting again September which is upto 3 nights a week we just won't get the time.

• Like 1

all I can think of is its the same as what's been happening too England,the influx of foreign players keeping the lads out of top flight football.

I could name 30/40/50 English players playing in top flight football......which top flight Irish players are being kept out ?........have you taken tips off the Jocks in blaming England for your countries not being able to produce a footballer worth a carrot :D

Edited by gnasher16

Great that your getting your kids involved,most of the people that I grew up with that have stuck with the gaa turned into really sound adults,good jobs,stable home life etc. Some counties the hurling is bigger than in others so the opportunities to play it wouldnt be the same all over. Try and get to a big game,great day for the whole family. Wish I could get a day out with my own county,but were shite so I jus have to go and watch the better sides.lol.

Not blaming England at all,some of our best sides were made up of men who couldn't make the England side,maybe the lack of 'born away' talent's another reason? How longs it been since we had an Aldrdge,Houghton even a Mc ateer,all played great stuff when they pulled on a green Jersey.

What I mean is,and I don't have anything to do with grassroots football but these are my thoughts,you don't hear as much about kids heading across the water anymore and being successful. Maybe it's because many of the big clubs and even the smaller ones have scouting systems the world over,where before the premiership really became successful their reach wasn't as far and more attention was paid to Ireland and Irish players.

Edited by DannyMc
  • Like 1

Well IMO those 100k English fans must of been southerners :)

No Robson' Shearer' Beardsley.Waddle.

Not to mention no Shilton ' Lineker or Hoddle :(

Ive heard Gazza talk he,s definately not a southerner ;) ......im just repeating what a nationwide poll said if you followed England you could of taken part !

And if you think Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley should go in an All Time Great England 11 stone the crows !!...

What I mean is,and I don't have anything to do with grassroots football but these are my thoughts,you don't hear as much about kids heading across the water anymore and being successful. Maybe it's because many of the big clubs and even the smaller ones have scouting systems the world over,where before the premiership really became successful their reach wasn't as far and more attention was paid to Ireland and Irish players.

Right yep yep yep i get your point now.......and its a good point in all fairness :thumbs:

I hate to use such an over used word as " legend "......but look at the Irish legends of the game from the 60,s/ 70,s/ 80,s like Best,Brady,Blanchflower,Giles,Jennings,Keane etc etc....theres nobody even remotely close to them in recent years.......i just cant see the connection with gaa/hurling if its always been popular.

Gnasher you should make it your buisness to watch a good game of hurling,eg,Kilkenny v tipperary then try watching a game of soccer and it dont matter who is playing,its like watching paint dry after watching a hurling game,and the biggest laugh is the lads that play hurling do so for the love of the game,THEY DONT GET PAID,unlike lets say the premiership,they get nothing.

I wouldnt have the foggiest idea what was going on Fatman im sure its all great fun if thats your sport.....football might be like watching paint dry for you but its not for the majority of people......playing hurling for nothing makes it better in some way i dont get that ?....you have your sport and traditions mate thats great i dont feel any need to knock it.....the fact people feel a need to knock the worlds most popular sport i think says a lot ;)

Edited by gnasher16

Modern day players hyped to the hilt for the best part

Over inflated egos and wages over the last 15-20 yrs

IMO the last time England had a team capable of winning something with a stroke of luck was around lineker and gazzaz era

Adams' Butcher' Pearce' Shilton' Clemence' Corrigan' Reid ' Robson ' Gazza' shearer ' Beardsley ' Hoddle ' waddle ' lineker ' Bell :)

Players over the last 15-20 just don't want it as much or have as much pride in the jersey as yrs past

But that's just my opinion as a casual England fan.

It should also always be a Englishman at the Helm

Ffs Sven and Capello

Sir Bobby was very good

Clough could of been.

Rep.of Ireland most succesfull manager was surely Big Jack, the Irish worshipped him, how many of his team were raised in Ireland?

Y.I.S Leeview

I hate to use such an over used word as " legend "......but look at the Irish legends of the game from the 60,s/ 70,s/ 80,s like Best,Brady,Blanchflower,Giles,Jennings,Keane etc etc....theres nobody even remotely close to them in recent years.......i just cant see the connection with gaa/hurling if its always been popular.

Nash the problem is the fai they don't do enough to protect the Irish up an comings in the likes of the ddsl and other leagues when a scout is about and is talking of a lad goin on trial to this club mostly English clubs that being there dream an then those who do make it out comes the granny rule so they can and if good enough will be asked to play for England that's how I see it. Tmo
  • Like 2

I will be out again every night this week and Saturday morning at GAA and football mate, I have to say I am massively impressed with the approach to sport in this country.

I love the way that it is supported, the participation is brilliant and it's great how every local paper has pages and pages of reports about every team from men to ladies, 8 year olds to seniors......it's simply brilliant and we could learn a thing or two from it in England.

The boy is mad to try hurling but what with boxing starting again September which is upto 3 nights a week we just won't get the time.

Thats the way matey, integrate! :D You'll be speaking the old blarney in no time, to be sure! :laugh:

Nash the problem is the fai they don't do enough to protect the Irish up an comings in the likes of the ddsl and other leagues when a scout is about and is talking of a lad goin on trial to this club mostly English clubs that being there dream an then those who do make it out comes the granny rule so they can and if good enough will be asked to play for England that's how I see it. Tmo

John Delaney is to blame for the lack of youth coming through, he puts fookall into irish football and the youths, all that man does is take bribes, the mans a sly b@stard

Edited by hawki

The exact same reason England don't.

Not as many kids kick a ball around ect

They too busy gameing or using social media.

School time should be 8-5

Giving parents the chance to work without the burdon of extortionate child care

Kids would get 2 square meals at school

And make PE compulsory a hour per day during school time

The spin off for kids should be absolutely No Homework what so ever.

You want to put kids in school 9 hours a day ? So parents can work more ? ..