Hawkings Search For E.t

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't even initiate conversation with the wife half the time lol

we put men on the moon long before we put little wheels on suitcases ....how funked up is that?

hmm I don't have a watch of this it's not long and very interesting '  

But you're absolutely right though, as I alluded to earlier. As our knowledge improves we may find a way around these problems.

There's one we have already; Time dilation can be our friend as well as our enemy.

True, but I thought the relative difference in time was so small we would never be able to utilise it ?

If you travel at the speed of light, your time effectively stops relative to a third party. You can't get a bigger difference than that. You could literally travel the width of the universe in a quantum of time.

But you're absolutely right though, as I alluded to earlier. As our knowledge improves we may find a way around these problems.

There's one we have already; Time dilation can be our friend as well as our enemy.

True, but I thought the relative difference in time was so small we would never be able to utilise it ?
If you travel at the speed of light, your time effectively stops relative to a third party. You can't get a bigger difference than that. You could literally travel the width of the universe in a quantum of time.
but your mass would be infinite right? So impossible as we understand at this time Edited by kanny

But it's been proven that it isn't. LOL. Your inertial reference frame has absolutely no bearing on the measured speed of light.

Unless you can postulate otherwise?

Don't answer this, lol, obviously the answer is tachyons. (Insert embarrassed face, lol).

but your mass would be infinite right? So impossible as we understand at this time
At the speed of light yes, but we could travel at 99.99999% the speed of light and achieve effectively the same. I was just trying to keep things simple.

I could calculate how long it would take to travel the observable universe if you want but I'd rather not. Lol. Just take my word for it that it'd be faster than the blindk of an eye.

Edited by Born Hunter

I've also understand that gravity Could do a similar thing? ...If you flew round a black hole and came back then time would have progressed more here than for you also you could never physically view something fall into a black hole as it's reality of time as it approached the black hole would slow down so much compared to your reality of time viewing it...it makes my head hurt :laugh:

I've also understand that gravity Could do a similar thing? ...If you flew round a black hole and came back then time would have progressed more here than for you also you could never physically view something fall into a black hole as it's reality of time as it approached the black hole would slow down so much compared to your reality of time viewing it...it makes my head hurt :laugh:

Yes mate, gravity bends 'spacetime'. Extreme gravity may bend the dimensions of space to such an extent that it effectively turns It inside out, causing a discontinuity in space which links two points potentially lightyears away in the conventional sense. That would be a wormhole.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

So what is the universe expanding in to? If light travels at 186000 miles per second at the 1second mark after the bang light traveled 186000 miles, but into what exactly?????? If nothing was there before

Ah, now that's the biggy !! Obviously, we assume at the moment, there was something / somewhere for everything to expand in to. But if I remember correctly some say there was nothing there before :blink:

Advancing our passive listening technology and operations is great. There could be any number of signals out there we are missing.

Sending out more signals though, I think is foolhardy and pointless. Foolhardy because we cannot presume or even hope that an alien civilisation will have any sort of moral respect for our existence. We're primitive, have barely taken our first steps from home and would get flattened! Pointless because the likelihood of there being advanced life close enough to earth to be of the slightest interest or use is slim, we'd probably already have heard them by now, or vice versa. JmoUnfortunately the universe is made in such a way to keep evolved life very separate. Estimates based on the drake equation, our understanding of cosmic expansion and that bitch special relativity just make 'contact' an improbable nightmarish dream!

We should definitely be looking to the stars... but let's master space travel, not space phone calls. We need to master our environment.

Only as we know it at the moment. Tomorrow could bring a huge leap forward with an unexpected discovery that would transform space travel.
I'm not holding my breath. Maybe CERN will find a superluminous tachyon and special rel can go f**k itself. Or maybe we'll figure out wormhole technology.

As a footnote, I watched Interstellar the other week. EPIC.... just EPIC!

Both theoretical to one degree or another so yes, the theoretical super particle could be found (harnessing it would be another problem) and relativity has always been, well, relative :huh:

The speed of light isn't relative, that's the point.

And at this stage, I would consider both tachyonic particles and wormholes exclusively hypothetical.

As you know it at this moment in time. That's my whole point, folk state facts that aren't really facts, and never can be. I don't dispute that light isn't relative to us, now, but what would you say if tomorrow it was discovered that light was just relative to our planet / universe and billions of light years away it altered ?

It wasn't too long ago that scientific research PROVED the earth was flat :huh:

So what is the universe expanding in to? If light travels at 186000 miles per second at the 1second mark after the bang light traveled 186000 miles, but into what exactly?????? If nothing was there before

I am struggling to get my head around that concept too. The problem I have is I cannot envisage or understand infinity. I know the definition, but I cannot for the life of me get my head around the concept. Everything has a beginning and end, or has it?

TC

I am struggling to get my head around that concept too. The problem I have is I cannot envisage or understand infinity. I know the definition, but I cannot for the life of me get my head around the concept. Everything has a beginning and end, or has it?

TC

I find it harder to get my head around the nothing

Struggling with that one myself, most of this is above my head tbh, but explosions cause a vacuum, space is a vacuum as far as i know? so the bang must have created the vacuum? if anything was there before did it just get evaporated?