Gypsy Or Traveller

It's a very confusing matter for gorjer people I don't think anyone I have met understand anything that's why it's very hard for gorjer people go understand and instead just stereotype.

Shepp some showman families are both Romany and showman I have a friend who's family are both I used to work on fairgrounds with him.

my skin is fair only ever gets brown when I'm in the sun but once it's got colour it hangs about for some time I have a cousin who's skin is so dark he looks he's from the Middle East jet black hair aswell, strange beacuse I had jet black hair when I was a child and now it's light brown

It's strange how things seem to have become more inter mingled, I used to sit amongst men as a kid and they would have nothing to do with the Irish "hedge mumpers" they called them.......many a time I heard the sentence "they are not travellers they are f***ing hedge mumpers".........but I know from chat to a lad that used to be on here that he is married to a Romany girl and he is Irish but seems a thoroughly decent lad.

And my gran was Irish but married my grandad (then spent the rest of her life having to listen about hedge mumpers !! Lol ).......so it odd.

I know Romany people from my childhood never regarded the Irish as true travellers ?

Very interesting Marshman, thank you for sharing

I didn't know you were an English traveller, are you over here on some kind of traveller exchange programme then? :laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My great Grandfather it's hard to tell from this pic but he's was very dark in skin colour, he lived all he's life in a wagon and when Ww1 broke out he signed up although he was a traveller he was ver

This is one of my lighter skinned great grandfathers, he's what used to be called a London Lee he had a boxing booth on the fairgrounds, also after a bit of research I found out that he had a granddau

your welcome to come and have a day out with me with the dogs and my family if you want , and although a lot of the proper old ways are dying out ( mind you same could be said for society in general)

Posted Images

Marshman you seem like a good chap who wont get all frenzied and exciteable if i word this question wrongly........but within British society would you agree that the Guy Ritchie film " Snatch " did for Gypsys what the film " Jaws " did for Great White sharks ? :D ..........lets face it nobody gave a shit about gypsys before but they seem the latest trend these days........personally ive got nothing against them ive never had a gypsy do me harm and the ones ive experienced have always been straightforward in their dealings and been good natured/respectful etc.......but i must admit i dont find them any more fascinating than a Pakistani or African the way some folk do i just wondered what your thoughts were as you must have seen the changes yourself ?

you know the craic gnash it's a movie , I suppose it does draw in the people that want to believe . I think most though watch that my big fat gypsy whatever it's called program and sit back and say " oh my god have a look a these silly c**ts " lol I know I do anyway ! Still I don't suppose they'd want to watch someone like my daughter that will be the first in my family that goes to university , unless of course she wears a over the top dress ?
  • Like 4

shite didn't know you were a gypo marshman I have to change my opinion of you now "don't like you now" lol

sorry mate I am lol , come and have a dig with me and I'll promise you'll forget about that by the end of the day !

Are many traveling showmen of gypsey blood?

Showmen and gypsys mixed a lot more freely a few generations back and are closer related than people think but we are different I got family in Ashford and feltham mate what yards are you near?

Thank you for your kind comments lads, I don't need to tell you lads there's a lot of shitehouses in my people. so I really appreciate it when people give me a fair chance and judge me on for me , even though I don't blame them for distrusting after seeing some of the strokes travellers pull lol . Sounds soppy but I do appreciate it lol

Marshman, there's a lot of shitehouses in every walk of life mate. Take the arsehole who stabbed that old lad the other day.

I know quite a few gypsies and have been to a good few sites through getting to know them

Everyone was a good laugh and their trailers were immaculate but I always got the feeling if you crossed them they could easily fall out with folk.

• Like 2

I remember in the seventies the bbc i think it was made a few programes about a travelling family, they made pegs and sold them around the doors and they had a few coloured horses which they took to appleby think the father called himself montique and said he was gypsy royalty and said his title was lord montique.

It's a very confusing matter for gorjer people I don't think anyone I have met understand anything that's why it's very hard for gorjer people go understand and instead just stereotype.

Shepp some showman families are both Romany and showman I have a friend who's family are both I used to work on fairgrounds with him.

my skin is fair only ever gets brown when I'm in the sun but once it's got colour it hangs about for some time I have a cousin who's skin is so dark he looks he's from the Middle East jet black hair aswell, strange beacuse I had jet black hair when I was a child and now it's light brown

It's strange how things seem to have become more inter mingled, I used to sit amongst men as a kid and they would have nothing to do with the Irish "hedge mumpers" they called them.......many a time I heard the sentence "they are not travellers they are f***ing hedge mumpers".........but I know from chat to a lad that used to be on here that he is married to a Romany girl and he is Irish but seems a thoroughly decent lad.

And my gran was Irish but married my grandad (then spent the rest of her life having to listen about hedge mumpers !! Lol ).......so it odd.

I know Romany people from my childhood never regarded the Irish as true travellers ?

Very interesting Marshman, thank you for sharing

I didn't know you were an English traveller, are you over here on some kind of traveller exchange programme then? :laugh:

Yeah, I thought I would give you c**ts a taste of your own medicine !! Lol lol

In all seriousness, I don't see myself as this or that.....I am simply a man who happens to come from Romany/show people family.......I'm not ashamed, I'm proud of my interesting history and my family name is well known in that world but I don't feel the need to broadcast it to all and sundry either........I just try and be a man and people can judge me on that alone ;)

• Like 9

Marshman you seem like a good chap who wont get all frenzied and exciteable if i word this question wrongly........but within British society would you agree that the Guy Ritchie film " Snatch " did for Gypsys what the film " Jaws " did for Great White sharks ? :D ..........lets face it nobody gave a shit about gypsys before but they seem the latest trend these days........personally ive got nothing against them ive never had a gypsy do me harm and the ones ive experienced have always been straightforward in their dealings and been good natured/respectful etc.......but i must admit i dont find them any more fascinating than a Pakistani or African the way some folk do i just wondered what your thoughts were as you must have seen the changes yourself ?

you know the craic gnash it's a movie , I suppose it does draw in the people that want to believe . I think most though watch that my big fat gypsy whatever it's called program and sit back and say " oh my god have a look a these silly c**ts " lol I know I do anyway ! Still I don't suppose they'd want to watch someone like my daughter that will be the first in my family that goes to university , unless of course she wears a over the top dress

I just never understood the sudden urge to film straighteners or make these programs in the first place if not for that film.......but good for you anyway you,ve obviously raised your young lady well and im sure she,ll do your family proud.

• Like 3

I remember in the seventies the bbc i think it was made a few programes about a travelling family, they made pegs and sold them around the doors and they had a few coloured horses which they took to appleby think the father called himself montique and said he was gypsy royalty and said his title was lord montique.

travellers love a tall story mate royalty or Lord montique nope lol

As this thread proves......one traveller turns up and all of a sudden they are all over the show !! Lol lol

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

you know the craic gnash it's a movie , I suppose it does draw in the people that want to believe . I think most though watch that my big fat gypsy whatever it's called program and sit back and say " oh my god have a look a these silly c**ts " lol I know I do anyway ! Still I don't suppose they'd want to watch someone like my daughter that will be the first in my family that goes to university , unless of course she wears a over the top dress

I just never understood the sudden urge to film straighteners or make these programs in the first place if not for that film.......but good for you anyway you,ve obviously raised your young lady well and im sure she,ll do your family proud.
I know mate filming straighteners and calling out people .. I think they think it gives them some sort of notierity in their minds .. Other than that I'm lost mate . Thank you ! I'm a very proud father I hope she will one day she will have a career and not have to really on a man , although most of the women in my family are good women and there's nothing wrong with being a good cleaner a good cook and mother I want a bit more for her .
  • Like 6

shite didn't know you were a gypo marshman I have to change my opinion of you now "don't like you now" lol

sorry mate I am lol , come and have a dig with me and I'll promise you'll forget about that by the end of the day !

buy the breakfast and that might just do it mate lol defo up for that mate just let us know when in season pal an breakfast on me :victory:

• Like 1