Gypsy Or Traveller

Up here in the North East there seems to be a good percentage of Traveller/Romany families around Darlington and Bishop Auckland.

Iv never had a bad experience with any iv met along the way apart from one lad amongst a group at the Waterloo Cup around 2001 saying to me did I fancy a go

His mates told him to shut the f**k up and we all got on Great

A year and a half later I was wandering around up on the Hill up Appleby and I heard a voice call my name it was the same lad and one of the said mates who he was with.

Growing up Romanys ect were always made welcome with a cup of tea or offer of a cold drink at our house if they ever came around selling anything.

What makes me laugh around here in these Old Pit Villages of Durham nowdays is folk who have no traveller blood in them whatso ever flying around bare back on Cobs with big gold necklaces trying their hardest to be a Gypsy

The Idiots are even trying to talk with a Irish traveller twang .

The Proper Gypsy lads must be laughing like fook at them .

Iv seen then in caravans 2 mile from their houses camped up near roundabouts lol

Nowt wrong with likeing Horses ' Lurchers ect but ffs just be what you are and be proud of your blood .

It's cringeworthy folk trying to be something they are a million miles from.

Once over it was just ok to be a Mod' Rocker' Poser ect

Now it's the fashion to try be a Traveller lol

Is it like this all over the UK or just around here ?

I always thought the ones like these that aspired to be gypsy's were didicoys?

My cousin tried to be one for a while, big daft 9ct keeper ring that covered half his finger, full sovereign and big heavy gold chain. He used carry a wad of notes around and make a show of getting it out at any excuse.

Silly sod lol

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My great Grandfather it's hard to tell from this pic but he's was very dark in skin colour, he lived all he's life in a wagon and when Ww1 broke out he signed up although he was a traveller he was ver

This is one of my lighter skinned great grandfathers, he's what used to be called a London Lee he had a boxing booth on the fairgrounds, also after a bit of research I found out that he had a granddau

your welcome to come and have a day out with me with the dogs and my family if you want , and although a lot of the proper old ways are dying out ( mind you same could be said for society in general)

Posted Images

Up here in the North East there seems to be a good percentage of Traveller/Romany families around Darlington and Bishop Auckland.

Iv never had a bad experience with any iv met along the way apart from one lad amongst a group at the Waterloo Cup around 2001 saying to me did I fancy a go

A year and a half later I was wandering around up on the Hill up Appleby and I heard a voice call my name it was the same lad and one of the said mates who he was with.

Growing up Romanys ect were always made welcome with a cup of tea or offer of a cold drink at our house if they ever came around selling anything.

What makes me laugh around here in these Old Pit Villages of Durham nowdays is folk who have no traveller blood in them whatso ever flying around bare back on Cobs with big gold necklaces trying their hardest to be a Gypsy

Iv seen then in caravans 2 mile from their houses camped up near roundabouts lol

Nowt wrong with likeing Horses ' Lurchers ect but ffs just be what you are and be proud of your blood .

know that type max. there all over my area. "instant gypsey" just add water!

proper cringeworthy they are and most aint worth a can of pXss

• Like 1

My cousin tried to be one for a while, big daft 9ct keeper ring that covered half his finger, full sovereign and big heavy gold chain. He used carry a wad of notes around and make a show of getting it out at any excuse.

Silly sod lol

Disicoys are travellers who are not of Romany dissent from what I've always been told like when a Romany man marries a non Romany woman
  • Like 1

Never known anyone apart from the New Age travellers who try to act gypsy most people wouldn't dream of acting or trying to be a gypsy as they think it's all dirty and trampy and see them selves as better than the gypsy people I turned up to a job once with my uncle when he had a brand new sprinter van and the customer says something along the lines of oh glad your not gypsys then as you have a brand new van and not a rust bucket a lot of people either see gypsy people as dirt poor who drive old vans and live in Muck when the reality is different most of the time

Cushty get your self up to any of the Old Durham Colliery Villages mate

The Plastic Gypsys are everywhere

They even try to talk the Snatch twang lol

Never been there mate are you sure they are not new age hippy types ? Also how do you know for sure they have no travelling blood ?

I live in the area mate

Believe me they ain't got no Romany' Gypsy or Traveller blood

Their grandfathers were Pitmen .

Fair dos if they just like a Cob or a Lurcher but around here there are some who try play the full show lol

The last 5 yrs since these Gypsy reality shows it's snowballed

Like I say once upon a time you were a Mod or Scooterboy ect

Now they are Gypsys :)

Lol must be a northern thing never came across non travellers wanting to be travellers tbh, I think yes the TV show glamourised traveller life and so did shows like the only way is Essex as they all copied the travellers style of hair and now all the collier kids seems to have the gypsy style hair just gals they never copied the jeans tighter than girls from the travellers they can keep that f***ing bent fashion

Never known anyone apart from the New Age travellers who try to act gypsy most people wouldn't dream of acting or trying to be a gypsy as they think it's all dirty and trampy and see them selves as better than the gypsy people I turned up to a job once with my uncle when he had a brand new sprinter van and the customer says something along the lines of oh glad your not gypsys then as you have a brand new van and not a rust bucket a lot of people either see gypsy people as dirt poor who drive old vans and live in Muck when the reality is different most of the time

you have to save up now to be a gyppo..lol

Tbh never seen someone who wanted to be a traveller lol you either are or you aint its quite simple really how the feck can some one mix up a new age hippy to travellers is beyond me

Never understood the new age people mate but I took it on myself to get to know some local ones and they are living the gypsy life but not remotely same morals or anything like that it looks like gypsy but isn't gypsy if you know what I mean I mean the wagons when not graffitied however the hairstyles and dress sense is not traveller like in any way but still got to know them and spent some time on there yards and we got respect for each other now and invited me to go to these festivals where they worship the sun and all sorts like that and to be honest with you they do more travelling than my whole family so they are certantly living the travelling lifestyle even if it's not in there blood so fair play to them

• Like 1

Tried pm you shepp but says you can't receive any just thinking I bet we know a few of the same people could Probly have a few nights out on the lamp this winter mate

Just cleared a few messages mate, yes it would be good to go out lamping, I haven't been for a few years.

It would be interesting to find out if you know my mums old neighbours children, grandchildren etc.

Silly sod lol

Disicoys are travellers who are not of Romany dissent from what I've always been told like when a Romany man marries a non Romany woman

Cheers Cushty, I'll remember that.