Gypsy Or Traveller

I'm not a traveller or gypsy mate ima showmen I can trace my family back six generations all showmen I didn't work on the fair for a month and think I'm a traveller
I'm not a traveller or gypsy mate ima showmen I can trace my family back six generations all showmen I didn't work on the fair for a month and think I'm a traveller haha

I have never made a secret of my history to my kids, after all it's theirs too, but I remember them be excited the first time they saw the family name plastered all over the funfair........probably thought they would get to go round free !! Lol

If your a Lee, then you are a Romany boy are you not mate?

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My great Grandfather it's hard to tell from this pic but he's was very dark in skin colour, he lived all he's life in a wagon and when Ww1 broke out he signed up although he was a traveller he was ver

This is one of my lighter skinned great grandfathers, he's what used to be called a London Lee he had a boxing booth on the fairgrounds, also after a bit of research I found out that he had a granddau

your welcome to come and have a day out with me with the dogs and my family if you want , and although a lot of the proper old ways are dying out ( mind you same could be said for society in general)

Posted Images

It's a very confusing matter for gorjer people I don't think anyone I have met understand anything that's why it's very hard for gorjer people go understand and instead just stereotype.

Shepp some showman families are both Romany and showman I have a friend who's family are both I used to work on fairgrounds with him.

my skin is fair only ever gets brown when I'm in the sun but once it's got colour it hangs about for some time I have a cousin who's skin is so dark he looks he's from the Middle East jet black hair aswell, strange beacuse I had jet black hair when I was a child and now it's light brown

It's strange how things seem to have become more inter mingled, I used to sit amongst men as a kid and they would have nothing to do with the Irish "hedge mumpers" they called them.......many a time I heard the sentence "they are not travellers they are f***ing hedge mumpers".........but I know from chat to a lad that used to be on here that he is married to a Romany girl and he is Irish but seems a thoroughly decent lad.

And my gran was Irish but married my grandad (then spent the rest of her life having to listen about hedge mumpers !! Lol ).......so it odd.

I know Romany people from my childhood never regarded the Irish as true travellers ?

Very interesting Marshman, thank you for sharing

Tell me about it I have one uncle married an Irish traveller one who married a posh gorger made proper didicoys of us all of my brothers go outs with gorjer girls and one nan that woundlt have the Irish traveller in the house until very recently lol as like your older people didn't like them even at he wedding she insisted on tables for English and tables for Irish but was stopped to get everyone friendly after all as they are travelling people aswell
I'm not a traveller or gypsy mate ima showmen I can trace my family back six generations all showmen I didn't work on the fair for a month and think I'm a traveller
I'm not a traveller or gypsy mate ima showmen I can trace my family back six generations all showmen I didn't work on the fair for a month and think I'm a traveller haha

I have never made a secret of my history to my kids, after all it's theirs too, but I remember them be excited the first time they saw the family name plastered all over the funfair........probably thought they would get to go round free !! Lol

If your a Lee, then you are a Romany boy are you not mate?

I'm not a lee that's my first name I'm a James no Romany in me I'm a showmen my aunt marryd a Romany so that makes my first cousins half Romany so I been brought up very close to Romanys but as my nan says you can't change your blood and mine is showmen haha

• Like 1

Bloody hells bells even Wilfs joined up now !.............pretty soon im gonna be the only East End gorger left in Essex :D

Just to calm your nerves mate, let me tell you that I DONT cut about with a silly mullet haircut and a life size gold boxing glove (worth £2.50) round my neck ;) lol

• Like 5

Bloody hells bells even Wilfs joined up now !.............pretty soon im gonna be the only East End gorger left in Essex :D

Just to calm your nerves mate, let me tell you that I DONT cut about with a silly mullet haircut and a life size gold boxing glove (worth £2.50) round my neck ;) lol

Are you a Roberts man then Wilf

I want to be in the gang too ,tomorrow I,m going to jukel a chor or a chavvy and dinlo a gorger then do a bit of tar macing on

My vardo appleby.come on Tyson and Hughie

Edited by Astanley
  • Like 1

I want to be in the gang too ,tomorrow I,m going to jukel a chor or a chavvy and dinlo a gorger then do a bit of tar macing on

My vardo appleby.come on Tyson and Hughie

yeah come on pops lets get in on the act.........i dont have the dialogue like you do but i can hold a video camera and have a 27 row keeper ring ;)

• Like 1

Its easy son , just practise these phrases and get them up

ya dirrrty tramp ya

ye shoite in a bucket

ye see dees here ( hold fists up menacingly )

Yer nowt but a junkies whore

I,ll foit any one of yees ,ye dirty ,dirty (look angry whilst thinking up one really good final insult )fookin ,dirt ye .

• Like 8

Its easy son , just practise these phrases and get them up

ya dirrrty tramp ya

ye shoite in a bucket

ye see dees here ( hold fists up menacingly )

Yer nowt but a junkies whore

I,ll foit any one of yees ,ye dirty ,dirty (look angry whilst thinking up one really good final insult )fookin ,dirt ye .

You forgot "never been bet in me loife" and "I soak dees here in petril" :laugh:

• Like 6

Marshman,

I wouldn't mind listening to you about the history and stories of your heritage over a few pints. I'd say there is some jewels to be told.

Is it true gypsies were a lower caste that had to leave northern India and some ended up in Romania and then some in North Africa mixing with the Moors?

a few pints I'm up for that mate lol .. One day I'll have my DNa tested to find out where my genetic markers come from , I could be wrong but I've read of different tribes of nomadic horsemen that moved through Asia and into Europe through the grassland plains of the steppes and nto mainland Europe , the Alan's and Huns also not forgetting the great Khan . Its just a hunch but that's where I think my people come from
Cheers mucker, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll be sure to let you know.
  • Like 1