Gypsy Or Traveller

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My great Grandfather it's hard to tell from this pic but he's was very dark in skin colour, he lived all he's life in a wagon and when Ww1 broke out he signed up although he was a traveller he was ver

This is one of my lighter skinned great grandfathers, he's what used to be called a London Lee he had a boxing booth on the fairgrounds, also after a bit of research I found out that he had a granddau

your welcome to come and have a day out with me with the dogs and my family if you want , and although a lot of the proper old ways are dying out ( mind you same could be said for society in general)

Posted Images

lab your saying was the best/un pc, "nothing wrong with gypo's but you wouldn't want them living next door"

Funny when I moved into our house my new neighbour walk past while I was in the front garden and I heard him say under he's breath " dirty scruffy gypsy scum ..

I wanted to grip the c**t... But tripped tripped on old mattress and banged my head a disused washing machine ?. Lol I shouldn't really joke about things like that as I've the cleanest house and best garden in the street lol

• Like 6

Most of the travellers/gypsies I've come across have been good people and will do you a good turn.my great grandfather was a Irish traveller but he was of dark complexion with dark hair.Ive got brown hair but the sun seams to love me and I'm tanned most of the time same as my dad.I'm not being biaast with my comment as I never met my grt grandfather and we have no traveller traditions in the family or traveller family that we know of.

lab your saying was the best/un pc, "nothing wrong with gypo's but you wouldn't want them living next door"

Funny when I moved into our house my new neighbour walk past while I was in the front garden and I heard him say under he's breath " dirty scruffy gypsy scum ..

I wanted to grip the c**t... But tripped tripped on old mattress and banged my head a disused washing machine ?. Lol I shouldn't really joke about things like that as I've the cleanest house and best garden in the street lol

That is one stereotype I never understood, I've never seen any gypsy or traveller home in anything but an immaculate state. They make me feel like a feckin scruff!

• Like 2

Very interesting.

There are a lot traveling showman and settled gypsy's in my town, Ashford Middlesex.

My mother lived next door to a yard where the Lee family lived that were showman, my mum and nan talked about them with great affection.

Just talked to my mum and she said as a child she was always in there yard, even used to go and help out at the fair with them when local.

She said they were lovely people.

Some of my closest friends are showmen, known them for donkeys years, and a good part of our work is for showmen. I'd trust them with my life :thumbs:

• Like 1

looking at the picture of your grandfather makes you think life must of been easier in them days for gypsys,as he looks well fed well dressed and that is not your basic bowtop is it,do any people live in horse drawn wagons now ,

i allways thought the gypys got called tinker because they fixed your pans and buckets

:yes: They'd traditionally work tin making and mending things and that's where the name comes from.

looking at the picture of your grandfather makes you think life must of been easier in them days for gypsys,as he looks well fed well dressed and that is not your basic bowtop is it,do any people live in horse drawn wagons now ,

I doubt if it really was easier back then mate . I said similar thing to an old relative and he gave me a wry smile and said " yer you try laying with your arse hanging out of a tent in mid winter lol. A high infant mortality rate hunger was always an issue , what I do believe times where simpler but I suppose that goes for everyone back then no matter where you lived .
  • Like 2

Marshman,

I wouldn't mind listening to you about the history and stories of your heritage over a few pints. I'd say there is some jewels to be told.

Is it true gypsies were a lower caste that had to leave northern India and some ended up in Romania and then some in North Africa mixing with the Moors?

• Like 1