I Eat Meat But ?

I am working towards having a flock on the ground soon enough, just working hard to bring my fields back to decent pasture after years of neglect.

It's quiet nice to be thinking about the quality of the grass will directly relate to the quality of the meat.....sort of a start to finish project.

Word of warning, don't get started on thinking about grass.....it will take up every waking moment of your life !!!

• Like 4

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the last couple of years I've been lucky enough to go into partnership with the owner of one of my ferreting permissions and reared a few pigs and sheep. Piglets and lambs are so cute and

I am working towards having a flock on the ground soon enough, just working hard to bring my fields back to decent pasture after years of neglect. It's quiet nice to be thinking about the quality of

as above i like all meat+ fish , and could never be a veggie lol, i like the taste of meat to much , a nice steak, or bacon / sausage/ sarnie , or lamb /chicken/dinner great . but got to be honest th

Word of warning, don't get started on thinking about grass.....it will take up every waking moment of your life !!!

Too late! You are right it becomes almost a constant intrusion. With only ten sheep its not too bad but they always come second to the horses as the place is run as livery. The sheep get all the rough edges. They also pay their way clearing footpaths and act as "toppers" . Its a balancing act no commercial farmer would have time for due to the constant shuffling of electric fencing but it saves burning diesel to cut the grass down to a length palatable to the horses .

• Like 2

I understand what your saying im a bit soft at the start with them but by the time youve lambed a few thousand and dealt with there death diseases and suicides you cant waite for them to get fat and get sold to kill. I love my sheep but at the end of the day thats there purpose in life.

spot on that :thumbs: , yeh prob 8-9 ok but 80-90 you soon want to see the back of them. as said like meat to much , funny thing lamb dinner prob my favourite sunday dinner :laugh: and cant see it changing to be honest :thumbs:

Are you on a farm up there Mo Chara ?

I can only wish I was on a proper farm WILF :laugh: grew up on a farm just outside of portavogie, so that must of got me to thinking I wanted one!

No such luck, but i made myself a little funny farm of my own. Small holding - got in touch with argri dep and arranged a meeting and inspection to see numbers and get my business number (don't really need that but is handy)

It's like me small, rough around the edges but a lot of fun! :laugh:

Suits me WILF - maybe someday I'll get my big farm :)

• Like 1

Small myself Mo, only 3ha.....looking to get another couple to bring me upto 10 acres.

Just getting my head round GLAS, BPS etc etc

Teagasc were about as much use as a chocolate fire guard

• Like 1

Never tried mint sauce your missing out mate

+1

as said bird you just appreciating where meat come from, i agree with you that they end up on your plate and there no way in hell rats will never be as cute as young lambs as for mint sauce you cant beat home made mint sauce

Any recipe to hand as I would like to give it a bash.

Over the last couple of years I've been lucky enough to go into partnership with the owner of one of my ferreting permissions and reared a few pigs and sheep.

Piglets and lambs are so cute and they all have names(albeit "Sausage" "Bacon" "Braveheart" "Custer" etc; just to keep things in perspective :D ) They also get incredibly spoiled but their end is never in doubt .

When we ate the first lambs we sort of thought that it was because we were biased that they tasted so good but everyone who bought meat from us also said they had never tasted lamb like it!.

I've not bought so much as a sausage since and even the poshest cuts of shop-meat don't look right to me.

Having had bacon that doesn't fill the pan with white foam and lamb that goes golden when roasted I do wonder just what really goes on between field and supermarket shelf.[/quote

Time.....

That's what goes on in between, the lamb could have been slaughtered long before then vac packed no breathing time probably.

You're a luck sod able to rear your own. I buy whole lamb locally and it's reared on the coast and it is the tastiest I've ever eaten. The same with saddleback that I get.

I've heard salt marsh lambs supposed to be really good.

I understand what your saying im a bit soft at the start with them but by the time youve lambed a few thousand and dealt with there death diseases and suicides you cant waite for them to get fat and get sold to kill. I love my sheep but at the end of the day thats there purpose in life.

Where about in the country you based? Do you lamb your ewe lambs? Drop me a PM.

Over the last couple of years I've been lucky enough to go into partnership with the owner of one of my ferreting permissions and reared a few pigs and sheep.

Piglets and lambs are so cute and they all have names(albeit "Sausage" "Bacon" "Braveheart" "Custer" etc; just to keep things in perspective :D ) They also get incredibly spoiled but their end is never in doubt .

When we ate the first lambs we sort of thought that it was because we were biased that they tasted so good but everyone who bought meat from us also said they had never tasted lamb like it!.

I've not bought so much as a sausage since and even the poshest cuts of shop-meat don't look right to me.

Having had bacon that doesn't fill the pan with white foam and lamb that goes golden when roasted I do wonder just what really goes on between field and supermarket shelf.[/quote

Time.....

That's what goes on in between, the lamb could have been slaughtered long before then vac packed no breathing time probably.

You're a luck sod able to rear your own. I buy whole lamb locally and it's reared on the coast and it is the tastiest I've ever eaten. The same with saddleback that I get.

I've heard salt marsh lambs supposed to be really good.

It is, you can easily taste the difference from non salt marsh lamb. Highly recommended if you come across it.

I am working towards having a flock on the ground soon enough, just working hard to bring my fields back to decent pasture after years of neglect.

It's quiet nice to be thinking about the quality of the grass will directly relate to the quality of the meat.....sort of a start to finish project.

Bugger the working hard..... Get yourself some Shetland sheep! Let THEM do the hardwork of bringing back decent pasture, and as an added bonus fill your freezer with the best hogg mutton you ever tasted ;)

You don't get sheep and clear ground yourself lol!

Bugger the working hard..... Get yourself some Shetland sheep! Let THEM do the hardwork of bringing back decent pasture, and as an added bonus fill your freezer with the best hogg mutton you ever tasted ;)

or failing that get yourself some goats

or failing that get yourself some goats

I got my lass a couple pygmy goats and i just tie them up round the yard keep the grass down well havent needed to use the strimmer since i got them the comical lal things as well.