Have seen that a few times, one time at Chipstead lakes watched a mother with a line of ducklings following, big swirl and the last one dissappeared. Mother duck went down 3 times after it but eventually came up and gathered the rest of her brood and carried on.

Also seen a coot chasing a grss snake across the water, never seen a grass snake swim that quickly before :laugh: and it reached the island and got away.

Hooked a pike on a little 7 foot spinning rod years ago, it was a good double and had the rod about bent in a loop. I remember it just came cruising through the water at walking pace in front of me like a fecking submarine with the odd flick of it's tail, like me hooking it was a mere inconvenience to it's day. I had a perfect view of it when it flared it's gills, opened it's mouth and regurgitated a big manky rat! I was a bit shocked just staring at the rats corpse slowly drifting through the water while the pike carried on cruising out of sight..... then TWANG and it threw the lure and was gone.

I couldn't tell you what the lure was called but it was deadly, as kids we used to call it the Donkey Choker! LOL

• Like 1

My dad and his mates used to have a duck shoot in Lancashire and had a problem with the pike taking the ducklings, so when I got to sixteen they let me sit there with a 22LR waiting for the pike. Before they strike they lie in the water like a dead waterlogged stick, tracking the duckling barely moving forward. The 22 round used to do the job on them, but you have to take account of the refraction through the water. Good fun when you're 16. Water has to be quite clear tho'.