Irish Wolfhounds?

well that same person clearly stated that dogs dont need prey drive anymore.... the majority of dogs in the world are all pets and serve no purpose but to BE pets...

i dont know why they even bothered to "save" that breed from extinction... the results suck!! they have a list as long as your arm about common health problems, most of them fatal, and they dont usually live past the age of five...

so i can sort of see why most real dogmen stay away from the breed.. which is sad.. isnt there ANYONE out there that still uses them for hunting?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could mate but bit short on room for the experiment.

They have f****d up most of the giant breed and are working through the rest.

They would make a cracking working dog if they had the stamina and health they used to have. :no:

I don't know any one that uses pure wolfhounds but alot of guys here in Aus use cross breeds, Some of the fox and roo guys cross breed to try and get a large dog with a strong wolfhound head but lighter more Deerhound or staghound type body and maybe a bit more nose the straight DHXGH. And the pig hunters cross them with just about anything and love them for their drive and skills as a hunter. However i don't think you would find many pure ones that would have what it takes any more as you say the show breeders have squized all of the drive out.

I don't know any one that uses pure wolfhounds but alot of guys here in Aus use cross breeds, Some of the fox and roo guys cross breed to try and get a large dog with a strong wolfhound head but lighter more Deerhound or staghound type body and maybe a bit more nose the straight DHXGH. And the pig hunters cross them with just about anything and love them for their drive and skills as a hunter. However i don't think you would find many pure ones that would have what it takes any more as you say the show breeders have squized all of the drive out.

yeah that was the only info i found about them in a short search through google.. and it wasnt a pretty story (14 IWH crosses killed their old lady owner) ....that wasnt helpful at all....

closest thing i've found in the states is the American Stag hound (which is really the same thing you guys use.. DeerhoundxGrey with some bloodlines bred with consistency) but i didnt see any mention of wolfhound. infact the last time i read anything about wolfhounds was in a book called Coyotes and Canines that i found in the school library when i was a kid.. they only briefly mentioned someone sicking a wolfhound on a wolf that had crossed the Canadian border. And the wolf got away.. this was back in the 1920s or 30s.. i would have thought they would have still been game enough and quick enough... guess not though.

Anyway its that book that got me interested in the whole thing, and also why i joined this forum.. as well as the argument with the dimwit breeder this evening.. i cant believe they are so willing to turn these dogs into mush!!! :cry:

Edited by BlueCoyote

like has been said already, here in aus wolfhound gets used a bit in pig dogs, but in all honesty after seeing some many "wolfhounds" over the years on the net, im more convinced there are more staghound type blood in these wolfhound types then wolfhound themselves, even stags that look wolfy.

there is wolfhound blood in staghounds of today here, not all but some bloodlines

Here is a half bred running, the dog it is out running is a straight grey off the track but a older dog.

But still not my type of dog yet, a little weak hearted and a bit big for me. He is not very agile but fast on a straight away, but maybe it is just this dog as his parents are 100% at there job and have many seasons on them. He turns two at christmas. So it could be his age, I will give him till spring to prove himself.

t_CopyofDSCF1m_4ca9488.jpg

t_CopyofDSCF1m_40436b1.jpg

t_CopyofDSCF1m_357a979.jpg

whats that their chasing? do you have any pictures of him up close?

It is a Coyote. Here our some pics I took just now, He is a little up tight as it is the first time in the house will get some better tomorrow, Edited to say that he is about 32 inches tall

t_20071111coym_020c5fd.jpg

t_20071111coym_466582d.jpg

Edited by Rocks