About Books And The New Authors Nowadays.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because it is a proven fact.Bluck had borders a few year back and started a border terrier club of his own but that did not last very long and the club and registration fees went belly up.He then when

Over the years, advances in photography have changed what we expect in print. From old 35mm we had to take to the chemist (unless we had a special contact) to insta-matic pictures. Which were poor qua

Good to see Bert Gripton had the foresight to say such common sense and at a time when terrier work hadn't the pressure like it has today. Some of the older books Lucas and Pearse for example were ni

Lutra Lutra I am enjoying your posts,the only bit I do not agree with is when you said if game wants to move it will.I have seen plenty of good dogs that will let nothing pass regardless.Many years ago(pre ban)we dug the same badger quiet often so he knew what to expect.It was a place we brought people who thought they had good dogs,he ruined many a dog and dog man reputation.But some dogs kept him in check and were not pushed around.Personally I would not rate a dog who had this bad fault regardless how tough his apponent was.

We don,t always have to agree,otherwise this forum would be to sterile,we all hunt differently and with a different purpose,at times.Many would cull a badger like that as its to educated and dangerous,an educated badger as got the better of the best of terriers,i read that in a book.

Why would anybody destroy such a badger and how would it be dangerous?Who ever wrote that book Morton must have bad dogs if he said the educated badger got the better of the best of dogs.As for pushing the dog to the limit,I thought it more a way of finding out the good from the mediocre.The good one was kept and bred from mediocre was found out for what he was and was culled.

• Like 3

Lutra Lutra I am enjoying your posts,the only bit I do not agree with is when you said if game wants to move it will.I have seen plenty of good dogs that will let nothing pass regardless.Many years ago(pre ban)we dug the same badger quiet often so he knew what to expect.It was a place we brought people who thought they had good dogs,he ruined many a dog and dog man reputation.But some dogs kept him in check and were not pushed around.Personally I would not rate a dog who had this bad fault regardless how tough his apponent was.

Hi Liam,

Did the men with the good dogs and good reputations PTS their trusted workers after such encounters? After failing in your eyes!

Do you think good dogs can have a bad day at the office like people?

Edited by Corkman
  • Like 2

Hi Liam,

Did the men with the good dogs and good reputations PTS their trusted workers after such encounters? After failing in your eyes!

Do you think good dogs can have a bad day at the office like people?

Most did not,any dog can have a bad day.

• Like 1

There absolutely no point posting in this terrier section now, getting scrutinized for everything you write by people who think they are experts hidden by usernames so no one knows who you are! Some people use better grammar because there better educated and not a thick c**t! Does this mean they can't be any good at digging?From the short time I've been on here you can tell there is only a few lads that go around terrier work in a professional manner! There are a lot of lads of here who think only hard terriers with lots of scars work quarry well, and it's the same lads that think posting scared up dogs on a public forum doesn't do any harm to terrier work! In fact probably won't affect them if terrier work is banned as they probs just go where they want! But for gamekeepers who actually fort to keep terrier work as a tool of there job,( gamekeepers exempt) its all these knackers that have to tell the world about there 1 dig a year with there hard smashed up dogs that are slowly ruining terrier work!

My reply to 5 foot downs comments. There is actually someone on this forum who has agreed in what I have said and has the intelligence and opinion on the working aspects of terriers.The truth of the matter is, that hard dogs and their owners give the terrier-game bad press. So simple and a fact which would be shared by anybody who has been involved with good dogs. I am not for one moment pulling hard dogs down, I am not. They have their place and uses. However, like I have mentioned before I don't think it is a good idea to parade dogs with open wounds at shows to all and sundry to see....5 foot downs comments being so accurate and for once an intelligent comment. There should be more people like him on these forums. Also I have been at the mercy of certain attacks about styles of writing and communicating on this forum. How do people expect one to write, when that is only what one knows? I could if I so wish post photos all day long, but I don't have to comply or certainly prove a point. I have been constantly attacked by Foxdropper for only a reason known to himself. I haven't tried in his parlance to educate anyone; that isn't my style. If I was of a kind, I could write about all types of experiences with dogs and all the so-called celebrities I have known and met. But I don't have to blow on my own trumpet! Also to all the Irish guys who might put into question my ability with dogs. I have met some of the giants, if I can use that terminology from all parts of Ireland. In fact they might even be some on this forum listening to these comments now. All the big boys in the game and worthy of respect I will know. I have also sent some good terriers over in many parts of Ireland which have remained in their kennels until their latter days. Further proving not just my point but also other sensible comments by other terrier lads that baying dogs are of more use. That is a fact! I will of course await for certain negative reactions from certain corners. Also again to Foxdropper.' DON'T TRY AND TELL ME ABOUT THE WORD(TRUTH)'.That is cerainly one subject I will beat be you on. Hands down! Once again thanks to all the guys who haven't been a critic of myself. It is good to know that there are still some good people in this complicated life...... D.R.M.

P.S.Once again my many thanks to (5 foot down) for is truthful, intelligent comments. 'We would'nt be in such a dire situation if many more people thought like him.

Hard dogs and there owners give the terrier game bad press,thats some statement to come out with about a lot of lads you neither know or ever met.Not all lads parade there dogs around the ring,i for 1 dont and never have.Then you say you have done a lot of diging,well i reckon with your sounders you probably have and i mean diging.You also say that if game wants to move then it will and no dog will stop it,well imo you have not seen many good dogs work but then again everyone has different standards.

• Like 5

fat man whuld you ever consider using a jadg terrier ?

Zilverhaze i have never seen one work so cant really answer your question but what i keep now does the job for me and i could not see a jadg doing it any better.

• Like 1

fat man sorry for all the questions but back in the day when you was digging pre ban what size and weight was the terriers what was getting the job done regular with wise quarry it letting nothing past and holding tight ?

Jack ivestor Lloyd had the bagley rat hounds, remember he'd advertise the meets in shooting times,great otter hunting man, waddy wadsworth, another good man, I had the pleasure of hunting with him, he was 70 when I met him, he'd come lamping with with his bitch Janie , what a character of a man,

we were friends a good many years, I have his books signed by him, well worth a read, "a hunting life and viva la chases".good post .

• Like 4