About Books And The New Authors Nowadays.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because it is a proven fact.Bluck had borders a few year back and started a border terrier club of his own but that did not last very long and the club and registration fees went belly up.He then when

Over the years, advances in photography have changed what we expect in print. From old 35mm we had to take to the chemist (unless we had a special contact) to insta-matic pictures. Which were poor qua

Good to see Bert Gripton had the foresight to say such common sense and at a time when terrier work hadn't the pressure like it has today. Some of the older books Lucas and Pearse for example were ni

Could I please reply to downsviews comments directed at myself in an earlier posting? If only he had read my particular post and been perhaps more observant in saying that I demanded honesty from the people who post certain topics on this forum. Never in any of my sentences have I demanded honesty from anyone. Also he stated that I was decrying, in his words, that I was in some way against terriers getting cut up or smashed up has some refer to it as. It would be utterly remarkable to think that a terrier would never get a mark or scar on it while out working. The way I look at such situations through experience is that it can be deemed to be seen has bad terrier work, and it will never do us any favours by parading terriers up and down in a show ring with chopped up terriers. Anyone who has enough knowledge and experience will realise and see when a terrier has either too much stick or been mishandled by it's owners. And 9 times out of 10, it is always the black and also coloured terriers that show all the marks, scars, call them what you want. However, by the other flip of the coin there are of course good terrier men who work their dogs correctly. Let everyone be honest with oneself, in that how many times have either they themselves or others have committed an act of putting 2 terriers in Earths or Setts together. I have been witness to see some so-called terrier men to be seen putting even more than 2 into holes. In no way would I dream of trying to denigrate the name of a good terrier man. To illustrate my point would to be able explain a certain tale about a particular big noise who decided some years back, that he would find fame and fortune with a certain red Lakeland dog by showing many people the prowess of such an animal of which he owned. The period was many years back; at a time when life was so much more relaxed. A rough-coated Russell bitch was entered into place which consisted of quite a few entrances. The dog immediately started to bay as she met her quarry. Standing back, but literally nose to nose with the the ursine head of her quarry. The bitch was taken out of the dig and the varmint released. The place was quickly back filled and we moved onto another Sett which was in the same pasture field; and only around 50 yards in proximity to the original place that had just been dug. The bitch being a clever dog and a bayer hadn't been bitten, so she was entered into this different place again. Surprisingly a small sized fox bolted almost immediately after the terrier had engaged its foe. Then to our utter surprise proceeded to make for the original Sett we had just dug previously.The fox went to ground thinking that is was safe until the little bitch was onto it again. We dug to the bitch yet again which by now had only received just a small puncture wound and a tiny slash on her muzzle. After lifting the bitch out she was tethered out had we now thought and was satisfied that she had done a fine job in the sport she had shown. That's when the big noise now decided it a good idea to enter his red Lakeland into the hole in which the fox lay in wait. The guy in his own statement said, 'I hope you don't want the foxes mask'! As the dog entered the fox lay in wait just around the corner.The fox hit the dog with a snapping ferocity which made the guy squirm in his own embarrassment. The moral of the story being simple. The clever dog that day that had used its brain over its brawn had succeeded in accounting for its opponents. However, as to the regards of the big strong Lakeland dog, he ambled off with its owner, both with their tail between their legs. That is an exact true story which happened and was witnessed by several people. Admittedly, there has been some good dogs, but in the process how many have quit the game through having too much stick. I do believe that the best of dogs will quit under certain circumstances and often being in the wrong hands.....Don't write back and say I am incorrect or biased towards black terriers because I am not, and like I said before of course there has been many good black or other coloured terriers. I just think that for an all rounder a good Russell will certainly take some beating. However, I have totally digressed from my original subject.Just replying to the persons questions. Neil, have you heard of the well known Author who uses the alias of BB.His name was Denys Watkins Pitchford. His works are held in high esteem by collectors. Best regards. Lutra Lutra.

sounds to me like you have been present on a bank or in a field maybe a handfull of times in your life ..a man who reads books and speaks olde English when speaking today...the varmint! and if you only speak honesty what are you doing letting men enter more than 1 terrier at anytime? if you were honest you would have told them what they were doing was wrong and either walked away or told them to wait for there terrier to come out then enter one of your own.... single handedly got the job done and went home never to speak to them again....

You also say a terrier who gets a cut from working is being worked/handled or is working wrong...another statement to me which just wreaks off knowing nothing about terrier work... ..once you un clip that lead and collar its out of your hands how that terrier has to work to keep its quarry in a stop so it can be dug too...every fox is different some will be very territorial and want to engage the terrier the whole time and some not so territorial and will just be relaxed in the confines of there own burrow.... your authors spent too much time dreaming of working terriers than out actually doing it...most men who bring books out now a days are not terrier men....there cameramen! and any who brought books out in the past before 1940s were recanting the noble mans tales not actually doing it themselves...see the real pre war terrier men were educated in the countryside where it mattered , NOT in universities and schools, learning how to write paragraphs and books.....

• Like 7

I have Sparrows book and Pierce O Connors too, I've also read the book my a Mr Jack Loyds (can't remember his full name) and I've read all of Lucas's books (someone should show David Cameron the photo of badger digging at Chequers, the Prime Ministers country estate) and someone mentioned Gamecocks and Countrymen, a real gem IMO.

Also another publication IMO that is nice to see or pick up regarding terriers is the Yearbooks of the FMWTC. A good insight into the running and dealings of an important organisation.

I always liked Phil Drabble and I do believe he was a true countryman and I was always led to believe he only turned anti badger digging when a new breed of digger started to emerge.

He, like anyone else, was entitled to his opinion.

Totally agree with you Neil. However, what did annoy myself was that all the things Bert did for him as to the regards of Drabbles Badger project, then Drabble shunned Bert at a country fair because he didn't want to be seen with a terrier man who had previously got him the Badgers for his Nature reserve. What an hypocrite! Also by Drabbles own admission, he, himself played a major part in the down fall of otter hunting and the otter hunting fraternity.

There's where my ignorance takes over, I didn't know that.

I always presumed it was the pollution problem and the voluntary ban, end of story.

And i taught you knew everything,lol.

Fatman, pollution played a part also like you stated.

Sorry buddy,but i did not state anything.

Could I please reply to downsviews comments directed at myself in an earlier posting? If only he had read my particular post and been perhaps more observant in saying that I demanded honesty from the people who post certain topics on this forum. Never in any of my sentences have I demanded honesty from anyone. Also he stated that I was decrying, in his words, that I was in some way against terriers getting cut up or smashed up has some refer to it as. It would be utterly remarkable to think that a terrier would never get a mark or scar on it while out working. The way I look at such situations through experience is that it can be deemed to be seen has bad terrier work, and it will never do us any favours by parading terriers up and down in a show ring with chopped up terriers. Anyone who has enough knowledge and experience will realise and see when a terrier has either too much stick or been mishandled by it's owners. And 9 times out of 10, it is always the black and also coloured terriers that show all the marks, scars, call them what you want. However, by the other flip of the coin there are of course good terrier men who work their dogs correctly. Let everyone be honest with oneself, in that how many times have either they themselves or others have committed an act of putting 2 terriers in Earths or Setts together. I have been witness to see some so-called terrier men to be seen putting even more than 2 into holes. In no way would I dream of trying to denigrate the name of a good terrier man. To illustrate my point would to be able explain a certain tale about a particular big noise who decided some years back, that he would find fame and fortune with a certain red Lakeland dog by showing many people the prowess of such an animal of which he owned. The period was many years back; at a time when life was so much more relaxed. A rough-coated Russell bitch was entered into place which consisted of quite a few entrances. The dog immediately started to bay as she met her quarry. Standing back, but literally nose to nose with the the ursine head of her quarry. The bitch was taken out of the dig and the varmint released. The place was quickly back filled and we moved onto another Sett which was in the same pasture field; and only around 50 yards in proximity to the original place that had just been dug. The bitch being a clever dog and a bayer hadn't been bitten, so she was entered into this different place again. Surprisingly a small sized fox bolted almost immediately after the terrier had engaged its foe. Then to our utter surprise proceeded to make for the original Sett we had just dug previously.The fox went to ground thinking that is was safe until the little bitch was onto it again. We dug to the bitch yet again which by now had only received just a small puncture wound and a tiny slash on her muzzle. After lifting the bitch out she was tethered out had we now thought and was satisfied that she had done a fine job in the sport she had shown. That's when the big noise now decided it a good idea to enter his red Lakeland into the hole in which the fox lay in wait. The guy in his own statement said, 'I hope you don't want the foxes mask'! As the dog entered the fox lay in wait just around the corner.The fox hit the dog with a snapping ferocity which made the guy squirm in his own embarrassment. The moral of the story being simple. The clever dog that day that had used its brain over its brawn had succeeded in accounting for its opponents. However, as to the regards of the big strong Lakeland dog, he ambled off with its owner, both with their tail between their legs. That is an exact true story which happened and was witnessed by several people. Admittedly, there has been some good dogs, but in the process how many have quit the game through having too much stick. I do believe that the best of dogs will quit under certain circumstances and often being in the wrong hands.....Don't write back and say I am incorrect or biased towards black terriers because I am not, and like I said before of course there has been many good black or other coloured terriers. I just think that for an all rounder a good Russell will certainly take some beating. However, I have totally digressed from my original subject.Just replying to the persons questions. Neil, have you heard of the well known Author who uses the alias of BB.His name was Denys Watkins Pitchford. His works are held in high esteem by collectors. Best regards. Lutra Lutra.

Why do you say its a sign of bad terrier work if a terrier takes a bit of stick in its work,not all terriers work like russells[not knocking russells] and also that if it does then its the way the terrier is handled.It is very easy to dig something that will sit and not push the terrier but when its a different story that the quarry will push try climbing over,anything in a bid to get by then your little sounder is in trouble,it will move with the quarry or let quarry by and if it dont bolt you are diging again,remember its the last 1ft or so that the presure is on,thats when you need a terrier with balls,jmho.

• Like 4

Jesus this site has gone to the dogs talking about books ye should join a library armchair hunter's the lot of ye

God forbid anybody owning a working terrier and an ability to read and appreciate the odd book,they will be wearing shoes next and own transport with an engine.

• Like 6

I have Sparrows book and Pierce O Connors too, I've also read the book my a Mr Jack Loyds (can't remember his full name) and I've read all of Lucas's books (someone should show David Cameron the photo of badger digging at Chequers, the Prime Ministers country estate) and someone mentioned Gamecocks and Countrymen, a real gem IMO.

Also another publication IMO that is nice to see or pick up regarding terriers is the Yearbooks of the FMWTC. A good insight into the running and dealings of an important organisation.

I always liked Phil Drabble and I do believe he was a true countryman and I was always led to believe he only turned anti badger digging when a new breed of digger started to emerge.

Totally agree with you Neil. However, what did annoy myself was that all the things Bert did for him as to the regards of Drabbles Badger project, then Drabble shunned Bert at a country fair because he didn't want to be seen with a terrier man who had previously got him the Badgers for his Nature reserve. What an hypocrite! Also by Drabbles own admission, he, himself played a major part in the down fall of otter hunting and the otter hunting fraternity.

What was Drabble's major part in the downfall of otter hunting? Otter hunting ceased several years (by the MOOH) before it was banned

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

never heard so much drivel in all my life. sometimes a dog has to take some stick to get a result. sometimes barking and sitting back isnt enough.
  • Like 1

Could I please reply to downsviews comments directed at myself in an earlier posting? If only he had read my particular post and been perhaps more observant in saying that I demanded honesty from the people who post certain topics on this forum. Never in any of my sentences have I demanded honesty from anyone. Also he stated that I was decrying, in his words, that I was in some way against terriers getting cut up or smashed up has some refer to it as. It would be utterly remarkable to think that a terrier would never get a mark or scar on it while out working. The way I look at such situations through experience is that it can be deemed to be seen has bad terrier work, and it will never do us any favours by parading terriers up and down in a show ring with chopped up terriers. Anyone who has enough knowledge and experience will realise and see when a terrier has either too much stick or been mishandled by it's owners. And 9 times out of 10, it is always the black and also coloured terriers that show all the marks, scars, call them what you want. However, by the other flip of the coin there are of course good terrier men who work their dogs correctly. Let everyone be honest with oneself, in that how many times have either they themselves or others have committed an act of putting 2 terriers in Earths or Setts together. I have been witness to see some so-called terrier men to be seen putting even more than 2 into holes. In no way would I dream of trying to denigrate the name of a good terrier man. To illustrate my point would to be able explain a certain tale about a particular big noise who decided some years back, that he would find fame and fortune with a certain red Lakeland dog by showing many people the prowess of such an animal of which he owned. The period was many years back; at a time when life was so much more relaxed. A rough-coated Russell bitch was entered into place which consisted of quite a few entrances. The dog immediately started to bay as she met her quarry. Standing back, but literally nose to nose with the the ursine head of her quarry. The bitch was taken out of the dig and the varmint released. The place was quickly back filled and we moved onto another Sett which was in the same pasture field; and only around 50 yards in proximity to the original place that had just been dug. The bitch being a clever dog and a bayer hadn't been bitten, so she was entered into this different place again. Surprisingly a small sized fox bolted almost immediately after the terrier had engaged its foe. Then to our utter surprise proceeded to make for the original Sett we had just dug previously.The fox went to ground thinking that is was safe until the little bitch was onto it again. We dug to the bitch yet again which by now had only received just a small puncture wound and a tiny slash on her muzzle. After lifting the bitch out she was tethered out had we now thought and was satisfied that she had done a fine job in the sport she had shown. That's when the big noise now decided it a good idea to enter his red Lakeland into the hole in which the fox lay in wait. The guy in his own statement said, 'I hope you don't want the foxes mask'! As the dog entered the fox lay in wait just around the corner.The fox hit the dog with a snapping ferocity which made the guy squirm in his own embarrassment. The moral of the story being simple. The clever dog that day that had used its brain over its brawn had succeeded in accounting for its opponents. However, as to the regards of the big strong Lakeland dog, he ambled off with its owner, both with their tail between their legs. That is an exact true story which happened and was witnessed by several people. Admittedly, there has been some good dogs, but in the process how many have quit the game through having too much stick. I do believe that the best of dogs will quit

These stories you seen for yourself of just second hand yarns?.

Very strange in how some people get the wrong impression about others. Also I could tell alot of other stories about hunting and following the (West Norfolk fox hounds) on many occassions. 'Not stories', ( fact) !

under certain circumstances and often being in the wrong hands.....Don't write back and say I am incorrect or biased towards black terriers because I am not, and like I said before of course there has been many good black or other coloured terriers. I just think that for an all rounder a good Russell will certainly take some beating. However, I have totally digressed from my original subject.Just replying to the persons questions. Neil, have you heard of the well known Author who uses the alias of BB.His name was Denys Watkins Pitchford. His works are held in high esteem by collectors. Best regards. Lutra Lutra.

BB was one of my earliest biggest influences and I have read nearly all his books and have around ten in my collection.

Glad to say too that my daughter has read most of his books also.

Your inbox is full again :tongue2: Jack Ivester_Lloyd

Y.I.S Leeview

I had the pleasure of hunting with jack ivester Lloyd as his guest terrier man on a number of occasions,we were snowed in one time when it was called off,he did not like lurcher and terrier men,I had some great rows with him,his thoughts were that all foxes were for hunting and any other way was a waste
  • Like 1

Your inbox is full again :tongue2: Jack Ivester_Lloyd

Y.I.S Leeview

I had the pleasure of hunting with jack ivester Lloyd as his guest terrier man on a number of occasions,we were snowed in one time when it was called off,he did not like lurcher and terrier men,I had some great rows with him,his thoughts were that all foxes were for hunting and any other way was a waste

was that with his bobbery pack WC?

Y.I.S Leeview