The one that came out of the torch is 65mm long (think it was an Ultrafire or similar). I've seen the protected ones but don't know if I need 'protected' or not. I wasn't planning on getting rechargable so does it matter?

Protected are a safer bet mate, they stop from over charging and deep discharged. You say you don't want rechargeable, why is that. Take the hit on spending a little more money and your not forever buying batteries. I have bought two sets so one is always in reserve.

Go for the rechargeable and push the boat out and buy some Nitecore from Nitecore UK. I know they're about £10 per battery but you'll never need another battery and buy one of their intelli chargers also best investment I've ever made.

The one that came out of the torch is 65mm long (think it was an Ultrafire or similar). I've seen the protected ones but don't know if I need 'protected' or not. I wasn't planning on getting rechargable so does it matter?

I have the Ultrafire ones as well. They are supposed to be protected, but I found out that they were slightly shorter than the Nightmaster protected ones when I tried to use two of them together with the NM800 extension tube. You could here them moving around inside the torch body. :hmm:

I've been meaning to pick up two more NM ones, but if the ones recommended by reaper1064 are the same length then I'm happy to save myself the tenner. :yes:

Those recommended by reaper seem to be the thing. XTAR are supposed to be a good make. Apparently there are quite a few fake Ultrafire's about.

I'll give the XTARs a go and let you know what I think. ;)