i was talking tonight with a lad that digs and he mentioned a dog that was mute on foxes and the fact it always opened up on more educated game he said it was down to the fact it was nervy of what in front of it whats your thoughts about this i know that some dogs can bully certain stuff and will walk when the going gets tough on tougher game

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

to be fair fb i think fatman is more educated than most and going by his posts more than likely digs more than most so i could say he knows his dogs traits digging wise unlike you who sounds has cl

Some would say nervy some would say clever , personally I like a dog that can be hard in certain situations and know when to be sensible in others. Baying or mute on whatever as long as it was there w

I reckon it was more respect for the game that was in front of it,thats why it was baying.

i was talking tonight with a lad that digs and he mentioned a dog that was mute on foxes and the fact it always opened up on more educated game he said it was down to the fact it was nervy of what in front of it whats your thoughts about this i know that some dogs can bully certain stuff and will walk when the going gets tough on tougher game

depends on the dog.

Some would say nervy some would say clever , personally I like a dog that can be hard in certain situations and know when to be sensible in others. Baying or mute on whatever as long as it was there when I broke through that's all I would personally care about .

• Like 6

I've got a bitch here that yaps and bays all the way around until she hits here game, once she's working up close she's all but mute............does this mean she's frightened of the dark ?

I had a dog that did that, personally I found it a fault as it quarry nearly always dug itself in or bolted before the dog got to it, not saying the dog didn't do its job when it found, but never felt confident in the dog hearing it barking while traveling through the place, only to come back out when its saying nothing home. so why the fck was it barking, strange and a bit embarrassing when out with folk, but that's opinion.

• Like 4

I've got a bitch here that yaps and bays all the way around until she hits here game, once she's working up close she's all but mute............does this mean she's frightened of the dark ?

I had a dog that did that, personally I found it a fault as it quarry nearly always dug itself in or bolted before the dog got to it, not saying the dog didn't do its job when it found, but never felt confident in the dog hearing it barking while traveling through the place, only to come back out when its saying nothing home. so why the fck was it barking, strange and a bit embarrassing when out with folk, but that's opinion.
I find it a fault to mate, it's frustrating as f**k. The bitch I'm talking about was one I borrowed out after my accident, she never used to do it and I'll keep my eye on it. I borrowed it to a friend while I was in hospital, I can't blame him because I've never seen him miss use a terrier by shouting it on or any other nonsense. One things for sure, if it keeps it up it'll either be gifted to him or pts.

I've know a few like this it's dose ya head but when you know the dog you can tell when it's up to quarry or just running through . I personally hate it but it's never let us down on a dig .

• Like 1

DD,did you ever consider that she may hear the game moving about and thats why she is yaping.I have 3 bitchs here that will all give a little tounge until they get to there game then mute until dug to.I used to have a dog a couple of year ago[dead now] that on his way to locating its game would actually be screaming,many the man that did not know the dog would say he was geting terrible punishment but it was only when he got to his quarry that it all went quiet,just bumping.I also [pre-ban] had a dog that would sound away on fox but on bigger game was completely mute where as in most cases it was the oppisite.Question for all ye diging lads,[pre-ban] how many terriers did ye see that would work fox and not the other even though they were only sounders and all they had to do was sit yaping into its face.?

• Like 2

seems like this post has turned in to a total diffeerent scenario than the the original question, seen a few use voice on scent and its an absolute no no in the way i work, does my head in a dog baying when really the only way should be entering in the first place is a DEFINATIVE mark, never mind running the whole set baying and getting your hopes up that youve hit on. back fill

• Like 3

I had a terrier that yapped whilst travelling . it was only on a positive mark yap yap yap. all the while he was running. but once upto his fox it got a little more urgent and business like. its not that annoying ffs. he was short lived for other reasons but i would have been happy to keep him as he had a nose like a beagle and done his job. only a fool would confuse this with false marking. 1 dog bays fox home. result. 2 dog barks no fox. false mark. as long as a dog does his job who cares what folk think. you just need to learn your dog and sometimes they have there little quirks. same as us.

i often think that the bar can be set to high . as long as they did the job i was happy as was the farmer.

• Like 2

Wouldn't be keen on a dog that does that, barking about when not facing something and moving, making the wrongsigns , he may be trying to get his courage up or hoping to scare his game before he faces it or could be his size, have one lad who had a few bad charges who did a couple of times bark once, twice probably cos he thought he was waiting for the dog to come before he was anywhere near a stop end ,( in the main part of the sett) say the mutt was to clever for me own gud,butt he stayed and not worked dirty, some fox can be moving quick,tight and clever, noing not to hit a stopend and bolt ?