If I Castrate My Ferret Will It Work As Well ?

You asked about your ferret so it sounded like you only have one male, can I ask, how come your looking to get him done? If you keep him with other males, you`ll need to get them all castrated to achieve total "hutch harmony" through the spring and summer.

If you run him with females you might be better getting him vasectomised, so he can bring your jills out of season, its a more expensive op, but will leave him with his testosterone levels intact... I didnt tell mine he was firing blanks, so he`s still just his happy usual self :laugh:

He is the only ferret i've got and to be honest the only reason im possibly looking to getting him done is that my neighbor complained about the smell last year. I personally couldnt give a flying hoot, but the Mrs is moaning.

Poor ferret :laugh: Could it not be the smell of the hutch getting up their noses? Could try moving his hutch to a shady spot to avoid that sun baked ferret smell? If your gonna go for it, there might be an op to remove the scent glands, I`m sure the yanks do it for the pet trade.

Poor ferret :laugh: Could it not be the smell of the hutch getting up their noses? Could try moving his hutch to a shady spot to avoid that sun baked ferret smell? If your gonna go for it, there might be an op to remove the scent glands, I`m sure the yanks do it for the pet trade.

The removal of the scent gland is illegal in the UK I think. Ive only met one castrated hob but he had very little smell. As for the hutch smell just clean the crap corner out daily and it shouldn't be a problem.

Even complete hob ferrets smell very little if you clean them out ive three here and there very little smell try using redwood shavings in the cage or im sure you can buy scented shavings but ive a couple of oap here and they moan about most thing and never about the ferrets so they cant smell too bad

I think the main problem is that my garden is only small approx 20ft x 12 ft and whenever shes out in her back garden she can see it playing. But to cover my ass I think its best done if i dont want prying eyes snooping around my garden. I think the old bags moaning just because she doesn't like ferrets if im honest but there you go.

The removal of the scent gland is illegal in the UK I think. Ive only met one castrated hob but he had very little smell. As for the hutch smell just clean the crap corner out daily and it shouldn't be a problem.

I didnt know that. I agree, being on top of cleanliness helps, but you wont shift that soaked in urine smell, especially if the hutch is in full sun, not that it should be. I got a slab floor in my court and even after pressure washing, theres still a ferret smell.

Your Mrs would love it round here then Sym, my garden isnt much bigger than yours and even if the garden is clear of dog poop and ferret crap, theres just no getting away from the stench that comes from next door sometimes, the guy breeds hawks and they can sometimes kick out a stink. I can live with the smell, its the flies...

• Like 1