Who Checks Ammo?

Aye, thought so about the primers, and yes I agree about Section 5. Have you tried A-MAX v V-MAX though? I have found no difference in the performance and yet A-MAX is classed as a match bullet and as result does not fall into Section 5. :thumbs:

To be honest I reckon they are the same used both and as you say no difference in performance at all

Long may it continue. I use a online company that delivers the next day, so I only have the ball-ache of driving to the RFD once in a blue moon to stock up on primers. Happy days.

Reloading solutions ? Used them lots cracking service

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be pedantic but I should imagine he is using expanding ammunition which is sect 5 not sect 1

Sorry Alsone, yours was a reply with some info in it. Did know this. Was being sarcastic at those who hadn't read the bit that said .22lr.

Convenience, your financial position, location, difficulty in finding ammo etc etc are not recognised good reasons for BULK buying in the eyes of the law!   It is possible some regions may support y

Aye, thought so about the primers, and yes I agree about Section 5. Have you tried A-MAX v V-MAX though? I have found no difference in the performance and yet A-MAX is classed as a match bullet and as result does not fall into Section 5. :thumbs:

To be honest I reckon they are the same used both and as you say no difference in performance at all

Long may it continue. I use a online company that delivers the next day, so I only have the ball-ache of driving to the RFD once in a blue moon to stock up on primers. Happy days.

Reloading solutions ? Used them lots cracking service

McAvoy Guns. A cracking little outfit also. They sell most stuff and are a pleasure to deal with.

No chance of FAC rifle ammo being delivered (like a pizza) especially in the quantities you can buy.

Regarding 'checks' in theory the police can 'check' how much and what type you have at home, in

reality (at least in my 35 years experience) nobody ever checks anything! Unless there is another reason

for you & your guns to be in the spotlight.

You are restricted on your fac on how much you can buy and hold, however you could buy and 'stash'

(illegally) tons of the stuff, as long as you only buy up to the amount allowed for each purchase.

I suspect no gunshop on earth will not sell you ammo if you have the fac and the money to pay for it,

but be careful stepping outside the boundaries will most likely always end in tears!

Thanks Andy.

My thoughts from the get go. Just weighing up the practicalities of using an hours worth of diesel plus the cost of the ammo when legally I can only hold 600 rounds.

My local rfd doesn't like transferring ammo via another rfd but I think they will do it - for a price of course although the guy I spoke to couldn't tell me what that price is.

For you other guys: Where exactly does the primer go on a .22lr case?

It doesn't. It's put into the rim of the case at the factory and the case is much thinner than a CF case, so when the pin strikes it, it initiates the primer.

For this reason, you cannot reload rimfire ammunition.

It doesn't. It's put into the rim of the case at the factory and the case is much thinner than a CF case, so when the pin strikes it, it initiates the primer.

For this reason, you cannot reload rimfire ammunition.

:D Sorry Alsone, yours was a reply with some info in it. Did know this. Was being sarcastic at those who hadn't read the bit that said .22lr.

• Like 1

Why not just request a variation on the ammo quantity, you have good reason, then just make a trip to a decent gun shop and buy in bulk?

Convenience, your financial position, location, difficulty in finding ammo etc etc are not recognised good reasons for BULK buying in the eyes of the law!

It is possible some regions may support your request on this basis, others may well laugh!

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Following on from what Deker said, you have a better chance if you shoot at a club of getting higher allowances as target shooting is recognised as a high turnover activity.

That said, if you're not using your full yearly allowance, it may get cut down, so catch 22.

Why not just request a variation on the ammo quantity, you have good reason, then just make a trip to a decent gun shop and buy in bulk?

Convenience, your financial position, location, difficulty in finding ammo etc etc are not recognised good reasons for BULK buying in the eyes of the law!

It is possible some regions may support your request on this basis, others may well laugh!

a friend of mine has just been turned down for a increase in ammunition by Avon and Somerset his reasons were financial and convenience and they wouldn't entertain it

So because they might say no its a better idea to not even try? LOL

f***ing hell, probably best not bother applying for firearms full stop.

• Like 1

Target shooters will get a larger 'condition' on .22lr so as to get a 'batch' advantage. I have friends who are paper punchers

who have 1,000 buy 1500 hold. But only on .22lr, the likes of me i.e. 'vermin control' etc have no chance (at least in the Devon

& Cornwall). I don't know about centrefire as I don't target shoot, but guess it's the same?

So because they might say no its a better idea to not even try? LOL

f***ing hell, probably best not bother applying for firearms full stop.

Who said anything about it not being worth a try, didn't I say..... "It is possible some regions may support your request on this basis", but that does not change the fact Convenience, your financial position, location, difficulty in finding ammo etc etc are not recognised good reasons for BULK buying in the eyes of the law!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

For once I agree wholeheartedly with Deker on this.

It's specifically in the guidelines. That said, they are guidelines. But you'll be hard pushed to find a dept that goes against this one as most forces are scared of people holding too much ammo. Ridiculous really as how many shots can someone gone rogue make with a bolt action rifle before they get cut down by the police? Some how I doubt it's in the hundreds or thousands!

That said, no harm in applying. Worst they can do is turn it down.

Edited by Alsone