Waterloo Cup Memories

I was talking to a well known coursing greyhound man this morning and he tell's me the sad news that they're now going to muzzle greyhounds in open coursing here in Eire.

Well that's it now for me. I might never attend another coursing meeting.

They've given in to pressure and when greyhounds are breaking their necks because of the muzzle and hares are being ran to a standstill because the dogs can't kill them the anti's will be there with their cameras getting more ammunition for their cause, when in reality it's the stupid muzzles that will be causing the harm.

He told me that some of the big clubs will or already have pulled the plug.

IMO it's the start of the end for open coursing, the true coursing to a die hard fan.

Sad news.

a lot of meetings are cancelling as a protest

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miss it terribly. Like maxhardcore says, too many memories to list. But here's a few -   Clarissa D-W stomping round in her plus twos with a big smile on her face and happy to chat with anyone   O

Well chaps, I thought I'd put a few old cards I come across in the shed and an original poster I had framed with the card inserted in the back, just wondered what memories you lads have, I went from

few pictures of mine from the field and the pub

Posted Images

I was talking to a well known coursing greyhound man this morning and he tell's me the sad news that they're now going to muzzle greyhounds in open coursing here in Eire.

They've given in to pressure and when greyhounds are breaking their necks because of the muzzle and hares are being ran to a standstill because the dogs can't kill them the anti's will be there with their cameras getting more ammunition for their cause, when in reality it's the stupid muzzles that will be causing the harm.

IMO it's the start of the end for open coursing, the true coursing to a die hard fan.

Sad news.

The antis must be distraught about that
  • Like 1

Altcar estate 1990, Lydiate fields, when there were hares there!attachicon.gif2015-11-24 21.18.29.jpg

Not sure of the exact year but i remember the cup was,nt run due to a shortage of hares.....Well it was blamed on poachers one in particular,,,,,i know he used to haunt the area the keepers and police both had him in their radars,Has anyone else heard this tale,i known the gents name just wondered if anyone else heard the same tale..???

Sad news.

good......maybe they will put the hares back were they took them from some without permission,

Sad news.

Glad to see I'm not the only coursing fan opposed to muzzling.

What I can't understand is that they're is no immediate threat to coursing at the moment ie. a current bill going through the Dail etc.

Yes the anti's are always demanding a complete ban but all their protests in the last few years have targeting park coursing and they have a big issue with hares being injured when pegged by muzzled greyhounds.

IMO the threat to open coursing wasn't as big as the threat to park coursing and IMO open coursing is much easier to justify.

I feel that the ICC doesn't care about open coursing and has just shot itself in the foot.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 1

could that be a the same gent that got a court injunction banning him from a radius around Altcar but the court allowed him to go to the Waterloo Cup :whistling:

Y.I.S Leeview

I know of a few fellas that could qualify for that title and one or two more that would crow that they are that person but although i've heard a few names banded about over the years, that estate has been run by many, day and night and the two keepers were/are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and honed their skills to picking on kids with a ferrets and nets.

could that be a the same gent that got a court injunction banning him from a radius around Altcar but the court allowed him to go to the Waterloo Cup :whistling:

Y.I.S Leeview

I know of a few fellas that could qualify for that title and one or two more that would crow that they are that person but although i've heard a few names banded about over the years, that estate has been run by many, day and night and the two keepers were/are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike and honed their skills to picking on kids with a ferrets and nets.
I'm surprised the keepers on there had time to feed the bird's on there between chucking lads off.
  • Like 1

Y.I.S Leeview

Would Sam be one of them? I was over there literally just taking photos of my dog and he came over and chased me when I was about 16

• Like 1

Y.I.S Leeview

back in the 70's early 80's the Waterloo Cup was floundering lets say, it was cut down as they did nt have the entries from owners/trainers the hares were thinner on the ground so would not of been hard to disrupt the cup by running the hares off.

It picked up in the mid 80's when 64 people put their hands in their pockets and bought their nomination for the Waterloo Cup,the nominations were or life so you had to literally wait for someone to die to get one, the nomination entitled the person to run a dog in the Cup whether it had won anything or even been slipped behind a hare it did nt matter it was their privilege as a nominator, if they did nt have a runner they returned their nomination(did nt lose it) and you could apply for a returned nomination and the committee weighed up on merit whether it got in to run in the Cup under the nominators nomination

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 2

happy memories ,the car in the ditch was a classic ....funny . I have probably rubbed shoulders with a lot of hunters on here ..I probably went to 10 years of the waterloo cup ..what a shame its ended.

have loads of pictures some where ,hidden away in a drawer some where ..I will have to root them out and scan a couple

• Like 2

Tragic end to an epic event with all walks of life in attendance sharing the same passion, they say it was like bein at an old f a cup final in the early days with the crowds it was that popular.. real sad, good memeries..

Edited by dodger