Waterloo Cup Memories

A mate of mine never missed the Waterloo in about 25 years. He used to say that when he died he wanted to have his ashes scattered on the Withins immediately before the finalists went into slips so they'd run up over him. Don't think he's gonna get his wish somehow...

Just watched that video again and realised me and my mate who wanted his ashes scattered there are in it.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miss it terribly. Like maxhardcore says, too many memories to list. But here's a few -   Clarissa D-W stomping round in her plus twos with a big smile on her face and happy to chat with anyone   O

Well chaps, I thought I'd put a few old cards I come across in the shed and an original poster I had framed with the card inserted in the back, just wondered what memories you lads have, I went from

few pictures of mine from the field and the pub

Posted Images

Im sure in the 70's a gypsy won waterloo cup.Think he was Billy Lee.Think he bought full kennel of coursing greyhounds not long before cup and dog was pre -entererd.Sure their is a tale of his wife scraping with an anti and breaking her arm! Well done. I aint sure how correct my detail is but am nearly sure that's the bones of it. If its wrong il stand corrected.Keep them coming.

• Like 1

Max , you wouldn't remember us but it was my brother who you asked for a light to light your " ball of mud " ...........and yes it did make them scatter !!!

Fond memories , never seen so much tweed on a dancefloor as you used to get at the Scarisbrick

disco !! Remember the year Henerita won it , we backed her from the first round all the way

through to the final , she killed her hare in every round including the final , paid the hotel

bill she did !

• Like 1

The old bill chased my brother but he lost them in the beer tent ! Henerita was one of the best killers of a hare I ever saw there , fast up and killed them very quickly , took my money off Stephen Little , nearly 400 , but he still went home in the Bentley and fur coat ! I have my card from the last day , signed by the slipper and judge , proudly framed on my wall .

• Like 2

Thought so. Have you any more details Pollyana. I cant remember where I heard the tale but can mind his wife breaking antis arm! Good for her. Don't think cup went down to him though. Their weren"t many travellers with his kind of cash in them days. It was 10 year before I ever went and again my details may be wrong. Again I will be happy to be put right.

Greyhound_Modest_Newdown-big_zpsjl0xize1Modest Newdown

color Black sex male weight date of birth JAN 1969 land of birth UK United Kingdom land of standing IU Ireland or United Kingdom studbook UK-GSB NCC (91) racing owner Mr. W. Lee
W Waterloo Cup 1973. Trained by Miss M. Birkbeck. Edited by darbo
  • Like 6

Started of booking by getting to and from on a bike

Ended up in a Roller .

Once took a bet of 100k at 2/1 on horse called Magic Ring at Royal Ascot , never even altered the price , it won , cost him 200k , never flinched , you would have thought he had just paid out a tenner ! A superb bookie , shrewd and fearless !

• Like 1