Mackerel Fishing From The Rocks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes i use carp rods all the time ,just dont do a full pendulum job lol let the rod compress enough to lob them out , dont use more than 2ozs i use a spod rod most times its capable of a bit more , d

great sport on a 2lbs carp rod or a spinning rod i cant wait for june/july when there running this year i am going to try fly fishing for them.

I use a 3lbTC carp rod, with a 3.5oz lead and 30lb shockleader with feathers

Posted Images

And remember to work the feathers on the way in

I can put a 3.5oz lead about a 120 yards, with a 3lb test curve rod...if you dont get a touch as the lead hits the bottom...wind down and strike, the feathers up while winding in...then let them fall to the bottom again.....I have found I had overcast the shoals of mackerel, but caught them on the way in

When fishing for mackerel we start by letting the lead hitting the bottom but we count it down so you know how many seconds it takes to hit the bottom. fish it in a few times like this then if you dont get any try it at a shorter count. ie if it takes thirty seconds to hit the bottom try it at a count of 25 or 20 then you are searching the depth as mackerel can be any where in the depth. alternatively if you hit them as your lead is falling through the water you will know how deep they are and be able to target this depth. garfish tend to be in the top third of the water if it is reasonably deep..

yes you can mate . you dont really get a lot off them but it is nice just pan fried .yes you may get a shock when you fillet it as there bones are really green. looks radioactive lol. first one i filleted i threw it away cause i thought there was something wrong with it

Edited by robbo
  • Like 2

Not shore fishing but loved boat fishing last Summer. Mackerel everywhere. Drop a line with a couple of feathers on and bang you're in within sort of 10/15 seconds. Good fighting fish.

Knocked on the head, chopped up and used for the Ling and Cod down below ;-)

Not shore fishing but loved boat fishing last Summer. Mackerel everywhere. Drop a line with a couple of feathers on and bang you're in within sort of 10/15 seconds. Good fighting fish.

Did you do much off the coast line in Hartlepool last summer ruby? I had a few good trips off the coast up there

Slippery_Weasel, on 19 Feb 2015 - 7:32 PM, said:

RubyTex, on 19 Feb 2015 - 6:18 PM, said:

Did you do much off the coast line in Hartlepool last summer ruby? I had a few good trips off the coast up there

No not really. I had a few trips out but only caught a tiny flatty and a small Pollock. I even blanked when the Mackerel were in!! There's been a few decent hauls over winter I think, though.

I just about packed it in when I decided to take up boat fishing. My first time out I won the sweep with a 10.1lb Ling, and also had a decent 4lb something Cod.

The next week my mate fishing right next to me pulled up an 18lb Ling. The b*stard :laugh:

Sorry Walshie....carp rod yeah no bother :D