Calzaghe v Kessler

Wasnt a fight close to been made with CALZAGHE and HOPKINS once before and then HOPKINS Increased the amount he would fight to a STUPID ammount ???

ATB TOMMY :thumbs: :thumbs:

Spot on Tommy,the same thing happened with Jones (who was self promoted and managed) :thumbs:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gnasher you've made some good points,and you obviously know your boxing,but i don't believe Calzaghe ducked anyone.Yes there was talk of fights that never happened,but the fact is,when Jone's was offered a fight against Calzaghe,he refused to fight outside the U.S.As for fighting Wright,Well 10 years ago,Wright was fighting at light middle,and Calzaghe has always been a "big" super middle (obvious to all,that Calzaghe was drained at the weigh in for the Kessler fight),and lets not forget the build up to the lacey fight,Joe was the underdog,and Lacey had been labelled the "new Mike Tyson" by the american boxing press,nobody questioned how good Lacey was untill he was dismantled by Calzaghe.What about Brewer,and Byron Mitchell? and a fella called Eubank.Joe's problem has always been that he lacked the "glamour factor" his marketability was poor because A, he was awkward,both in his fighting style and the fact he was a southpaw,and a lot of big names didn't want to fight him.B, he was to put it bluntly "too ordinary" outside the ring,he wasn't flash or loud like a Hamed,and he lived and trained in his own backyard in a small town.Although Calzaghe has been at the top for ten years,he hasn't made a great deal of money.Personally i hope they can do a deal with Hopkins,but what then?If Calzaghe beats Hopkins the detractors will all say "Hopkins was past it" I think Calzaghe is the best super middle,and has been for most of his reign as world champion.He beat the other champions (comfortably) Kessler was a very good world champion,and in all honesty the fight may have lacked the brutality and sheer excitement of the Lacey fight ,but in boxing terms,it was an easy nights work for Calzaghe.I think Joe is a worthy holder of the belts,there is no one out there to test him at super middle.If we're talking "overated,or overhyped" british fighters,well we need look no further than Amir Khan.Jmho,as always.Bill :thumbs:

Hello Bill....same applies you clearly have some knowledge of the game and like i said before,a lot of it is opinions....however theres a few points you make that with respect,common sense tells us the answers...yes the calzaghe- hopkins match could have been made before....BUT...can you really blame hopkins for not wanting the fight in wales ? calzaghe would only fight in wales,a country that most americans probably dont even know what continent its in !....america is the boxing capital of the world and calzaghe is/was not the big name hopkins was worldwide......that is why hopkins wanted more money....every brit before has had to go to america to get the big fights thats just how it is....so what made calzaghe think he could make them go to wales,or maybe he just knew they wouldnt and it was a good out for him.....he has cleverly used it in his favour since to say people have ducked him but anyone who knows the game knows it just doesnt work like that.....as for calzaghes wins....brewer,mitchell, i wouldnt class as greats and he got eubank right at the end of his career....you rightly say he is a big super middleweight, he could have moved up at anytime over the last 5 years but who would have been waiting for him,roy jones...who lost 3 of his last 4 fights anyway !

That said a lot seems to be made about his weight....he cuts weight the same as 95 % of other fighters and he,s not a youngster still developing he is in his mid 30,s so i cant see what all the fuss about his weight is,personally i think its just a way of keeping his options open.

In my opinion Kessler was by far the best fighter calzaghe has ever faced...you are also right in saying even if he beats hopkins people will say he was finished anyway,and again,this is the price you pay for not fighting great fighters in their prime...it seems the british way nowadays unfortunately....hatton/tszu...hatton - castillo...and probably now calzaghe- hopkins.....dont get me wrong i like calzaghe i think he has great talent......i just think had he showed a little more desire to fight and beat the best,he could justify expecting more credit than he gets.....as for amir khan...yes of course he is overated,we shouldnt even know who he is yet.....but,i will stick my neck out and say i think he will win a version of a world title within 2 years.

All the best.

Good post as always gnasher.As i said before,boxing is all politics,and secret handshakes.Theres been a lot of good fighters who have missed the big fights because of purse disputes and the tv rights and contracts of opposing managers/promoters,lets hope we see Calzaghe in a biggie,preferably in the states.All the best,Bill :thumbs: