Calzaghe v Kessler

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well done joe

he is with out doubt 1 of the best boxer's ever to come out of britain FACT its not that he has dodged fighting people it's them who have dodged him

and the best thing is he is WELSH :clapper::clapper::clapper::notworthy::yes:

Guest shaheen
well done joe

he is with out doubt 1 of the best boxer's ever to come out of britain FACT its not that he has dodged fighting people it's them who have dodged him

Yep born in South London... :haha::haha:

well done joe

Joe Calzaghe, also known as "The Pride of Wales" (born 23 March 1972 in Hammersmith, London, England) is a Welsh boxer of Italian and Welsh descent, currently living in Cwmbran, Wales, and is one of the pound for pound top 10 boxers in the world according to the Ring Magazine.[1]

He is sometimes referred to as the "Italian Dragon" in reference to his mixed heritage (the dragon being both a Welsh emblem and a Sardinian myth), or the "Pride of Wales". He is the current WBO, WBC and WBA world super middleweight champion and the former IBF super middleweight world champion.

Calzaghe is the longest reigning title holder in any weight class in boxing, recently passing the ten year mark as the WBO super middleweight champion.

yes but the man is of welsh descent and there is no english blood in him :feck::feck:

was lucky enough to be at this fight last night....thought calzaghe fought a sensible fight,he had some scarey moments but his pure physical fitness,speed and athletic intelligence brought him a pretty comfortable win....i was surprised at kesslers size he was very big at the weight....im told it sounded a real good atmosphere on telly which it wasnt,the place was just too big and the atmosphere was lost.

personally i wouldnt like to see calzaghe move up to light heavy but instead go all out for one of the big names preferably hopkins and if he has to travel over there then its time he did.....

to say top names have dodged him i feel is wrong,joe has missed a whole generation of world class fighters through making his unbeaten record priority over fighting and beating the best....the hard fact is america is the boxing capital of the world whether we like it or not so why would the big names in the sport come to little wales to fight...in 10 years as world champ he has never fought in america which is almost unheard of.....shame really as he certainly has the skills to have beaten some of them even if he did lose the odd one

personally i wouldnt like to see calzaghe move up to light heavy but instead go all out for one of the big names preferably hopkins and if he has to travel over there then its time he did.....

to say top names have dodged him i feel is wrong,joe has missed a whole generation of world class fighters through making his unbeaten record priority over fighting and beating the best....

:thumbs:

i was watching a boxing programme lastnight and and barry maguigan spelling said he thought that calzaghe is ..is the best boxer ever to come out of britain and i agree with that statement barry knows a lot more than us lot :whistling:

i was watching a boxing programme lastnight and and barry maguigan spelling said he thought that calzaghe is ..is the best boxer ever to come out of britain and i agree with that statement barry knows a lot more than us lot :whistling:

Yes but also on that PROGRAMME WHICH was made last year :thumbs: Mr McGuigan states that AMIR KHAN will be the next BRITISH WORLD CHAMP :whistling: I think statements like this are simply made to KEEP HIS JOB :whistling: If you know what i mean :toast:

Not taking anything away from his statement on CALZAGHE :toast:

ATB TOMMY :thumbs: :thumbs:

When it comes to who is better than who its just opinions....so mcguigans opinion is calzaghe is the best to come out of uk...thats his opinion....i would say calzaghe has had more success than any other british fighter in recent history without doubt...but for me a great fighter should be judged on the great fights he had and the great fighters he beat.....calzaghe decided he didnt want to take the route of fighting other top fighters a long time ago so for me he gave up the right to be judged as a great fighter himself....succesful yes,an all time great no....

If greatness is decided by success we might as well say calzaghe is a greater fighter than muhammad ali as ali lost 5 fights.....the difference is ali fought other great fighters win or lose....

Calzaghe missed roy jones,winky wright,hopkins and taylor...to be called the best you have to beat the best even if it means the odd loss.....in his book calzaghe virtually called Benn and Eubank fools for having those tough wars saying he " would not " take fights like that....his own words !

His health and unbeaten record is most important he admitted that,ok fair play to him...but dont then moan that you dont get recognition as a great fighter if your not willing to put things on the line like other fighters have.........rant over :D

Guest shaheen
well done joe

Joe Calzaghe, also known as "The Pride of Wales" (born 23 March 1972 in Hammersmith, London, England) is a Welsh boxer of Italian and Welsh descent, currently living in Cwmbran, Wales, and is one of the pound for pound top 10 boxers in the world according to the Ring Magazine.[1]

He is sometimes referred to as the "Italian Dragon" in reference to his mixed heritage (the dragon being both a Welsh emblem and a Sardinian myth), or the "Pride of Wales". He is the current WBO, WBC and WBA world super middleweight champion and the former IBF super middleweight world champion.

Calzaghe is the longest reigning title holder in any weight class in boxing, recently passing the ten year mark as the WBO super middleweight champion.

yes but the man is of welsh descent and there is no english blood in him :feck::feck:

It's a long standing joke between a friend of mine thats started coming on this forum & he's from Camarthenshire that Calzaghe is a "London" boy from his place of birth untill he was 8 :feck:

And im from Scotish decent both sides but born in England? :hmm: .. :haha: ... :feck::feck:

When it comes to who is better than who its just opinions....so mcguigans opinion is calzaghe is the best to come out of uk...thats his opinion....i would say calzaghe has had more success than any other british fighter in recent history without doubt...but for me a great fighter should be judged on the great fights he had and the great fighters he beat.....calzaghe decided he didnt want to take the route of fighting other top fighters a long time ago so for me he gave up the right to be judged as a great fighter himself....succesful yes,an all time great no....

If greatness is decided by success we might as well say calzaghe is a greater fighter than muhammad ali as ali lost 5 fights.....the difference is ali fought other great fighters win or lose....

Calzaghe missed roy jones,winky wright,hopkins and taylor...to be called the best you have to beat the best even if it means the odd loss.....in his book calzaghe virtually called Benn and Eubank fools for having those tough wars saying he " would not " take fights like that....his own words !

His health and unbeaten record is most important he admitted that,ok fair play to him...but dont then moan that you dont get recognition as a great fighter if your not willing to put things on the line like other fighters have.........rant over :D

Gnasher you've made some good points,and you obviously know your boxing,but i don't believe Calzaghe ducked anyone.Yes there was talk of fights that never happened,but the fact is,when Jone's was offered a fight against Calzaghe,he refused to fight outside the U.S.As for fighting Wright,Well 10 years ago,Wright was fighting at light middle,and Calzaghe has always been a "big" super middle (obvious to all,that Calzaghe was drained at the weigh in for the Kessler fight),and lets not forget the build up to the lacey fight,Joe was the underdog,and Lacey had been labelled the "new Mike Tyson" by the american boxing press,nobody questioned how good Lacey was untill he was dismantled by Calzaghe.What about Brewer,and Byron Mitchell? and a fella called Eubank.Joe's problem has always been that he lacked the "glamour factor" his marketability was poor because A, he was awkward,both in his fighting style and the fact he was a southpaw,and a lot of big names didn't want to fight him.B, he was to put it bluntly "too ordinary" outside the ring,he wasn't flash or loud like a Hamed,and he lived and trained in his own backyard in a small town.Although Calzaghe has been at the top for ten years,he hasn't made a great deal of money.Personally i hope they can do a deal with Hopkins,but what then?If Calzaghe beats Hopkins the detractors will all say "Hopkins was past it" I think Calzaghe is the best super middle,and has been for most of his reign as world champion.He beat the other champions (comfortably) Kessler was a very good world champion,and in all honesty the fight may have lacked the brutality and sheer excitement of the Lacey fight ,but in boxing terms,it was an easy nights work for Calzaghe.I think Joe is a worthy holder of the belts,there is no one out there to test him at super middle.If we're talking "overated,or overhyped" british fighters,well we need look no further than Amir Khan.Jmho,as always.Bill :thumbs:

well done joe

It's a long standing joke between a friend of mine thats started coming on this forum & he's from Camarthenshire that Calzaghe is a "London" boy from his place of birth untill he was 8 :feck:

And im from Scotish decent both sides but born in England? :hmm: .. :haha: ... :feck::feck:

well i would say shaheen that if both your parents are scottish and you were born in africa or germany or even china i would say that you are scottish im not having a go at you its just the way i see it you have got pure scottish blood in your veins so to me i would class you as a scottish man