Slatmill

Just my two cents worth but there's no need to use a mill to keep a terrier fit.

A mill is a brilliant tool in the right hands and a bad tool in the wrong hands.

But for the level of fitness that any terrier need's for work an hour or so of walking on the road or 40 minutes running around a few fields every day is enough.

Let's say if you had three terriers and were giving them 20 minutes on the mill that takes an hour any way, and lets face it you can walk 3, 4 or 5 terriers together anyway.

Another thing a terrier needs everyday is something to keep it occupied and running hard looking at a shed wall is not exciting to a terrier.

You'll end up with hyper-active bored terriers that will wreck your head.

To use a mill properly you should walk the dog to empty it out (other wise you could boil it's kidneys) and then after the millwork you must walk it to cool down.

So to use one properly your not saving yourself any time anyway.

A mill is for bringing a dog to a point (and to build wind) and terriers don't need to be brought to a point. They should always be at a level of fitness that allows them to do a days work as regularly as possible.

• Like 5

tennis balls on a string flung around the place is the only job for fitness, i train security and scent dogs, i teach my pups/young dogs to find tennis balls and as they get older the training gets harder and the difficulty increases this helps to increase the hunt drive in the dogs through frustration. no shortage of tennis balls and they are cheap, mental and physical stimulation

A slat mill puts wind into a dog nothing more a carpet mill put muscle and tone to a dog . I had a quicksilver mill and done me for a lot of years . But now people are wanting stupid prices for them all this rp and dog trotter got everyone wanting to spend and charge big money . Pole off the push bike seat bar hook the dog in harness does me now

Anything that makes a dog run and breath heavy will naturally improve wind.. Chasing a lure on a flirt pole can intensify the sprint in a tight circle and 10 mins will equate to a two hour walk..It does not replace walking and being out it just compliments it..

A slat mill should be an addition it should not just be used i dont know any decent dog lad just use a mill for fitness but i do know one thing ya can walk a dog fit.i would never expect any of my dogs to do a days work with out me putting in the time for them to be adequate enough to do it

• Like 1

Them mills look the ticket HPR. The only mills I ever seen before was wooden slat mills and they served there purpose for the men who owned them. The first one I seen the man explained the scenario to me and it stuck in my head. They are to be used as and extra exercise to increase fitness and not to replace regular exercise.

cheers general yeah i fancy making an old school one with hard wood slats and side in fact im just pricing the slats up there not cheap but then again nothing is on these mills because weve used the best parts possible

• Like 1