Wheaton Lines,

Believe it or not when I was young I seen a chap (considered himself one of the greats) stick a collar on a wheaten and let it go to ground.I thought there's something funny about this but we did have to dig to the dog.We had no choice, it got stuck,LOL.

That mustv,e been many at least 45 years ago Neill when you were young , :tongue2: . ,at least yous gotta dig to a stuck dog , you know and I know we,ve tried wheaten x terrier ,they are either to big and if by luck you get a small one then they are to hard and your lucky gettingtwo seasons out of them . saucy very very rare you get big burrows for wheatens to travel ,.
take your word for it jimmysshop ,just ive seen a few hounds go to ground in big burrows

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This lad ain,t well making statements like this , somebody get him a doctor and get him admitted .

I ended up doing a search on it myself , and sat reading over it again ,some good reading from oul times , I ended up laughing again at that FLASHER {RIP } one ,trying to steal back that crystal he

While out with a certain diging club from NI one sunday we dug to a terrier i owned and upon breaking through we lifted the terrier thinking it was a stop and a wheaton was entered to finish off the j

I grew up in northern Ireland in a time when there was a lot of strong dogs about and was lucky enough to see some work my street was full of them and looking in some of the books I remember some of them dogs but as said bygone days got a wheaton sent over to a friend of mine a few years back to be used as a guard he may be along later and give you his opinion a fella who lived next to me had a good dog and put it across a good English/staff bitch he had they were big stong pups as for going to ground no chance but that is not what they were for pal here had a glen runt of litter got to ground but to hard also seen Lakeland cross wheaton big chested but got to grond and done the job but this was years ago went home this year for a family do still a lot of boys with dogs but more into hounds and lurchers ans very few about with strong dogs anymore

• Like 1

While out with a certain diging club from NI one sunday we dug to a terrier i owned and upon breaking through we lifted the terrier thinking it was a stop and a wheaton was entered to finish off the job.The dog entered like a shot and thats the last we seen of him for about 90min when we broke through to him again still with his quarry but about 20yds away from where he originally entered and lucky to get him as it was windy and dog had no collar on and was completely silent.The wheatons and staffs that them boys worked were class,have not seen or heard from them lads in a long time but good diging and good craic was had.

• Like 3

wheatenworked2.jpg

thats a dog in JD's book (page 94 i think),we worked him for a bit,fair useless lump of a dog.

terriersoflongago010.jpg

in the foreground is a half wheaten/russell that we dug to regular and in the background was her half sister,a full wheaten we worked regular also. thats the only way in my opinion you could get a wheaten to ground,by cross breeding it to reduce size.

Nice pics thanks