Few Pics Of My Red Tail......

Longers7

Took this male red tail on as a bit of a rescue bird, as previous owner wasn't keeping in best of conditions, he'd been bowed down for a few years and if honest took a lot of time and work to get him going!! He's frustrated the hell out of me and at times felt like giving up on him, but with lots of great advise from Tim (Charlie caller) and patients I've slowly managed to get him switched on, I can now see why a lot of falconers buy a red tail then shortly afterwards sell them on, as you need patients of a saint at times with them, I would like to say a massive thanks to Tim for all the advise and tips on getting him going, as they are totally different to switch on as opposed to a Harris! I've got him hunting at 2llb 1.5

0274787B-0157-489D-8B3F-D7E97FA4D168_1.j

7D7467C4-0BB0-4DAC-B708-407AF8A4B5C1.jpg

9A2F2080-6182-41A1-BF38-861E729FC605.jpg

3923E449-F423-4910-BD74-CB227F17E1AA.jpg

F815DD9E-2ACA-4C7C-87F3-F62B19FD8AB3.jpg

C88F80DE-D39B-4DC8-880E-945CDCE8B6DC.jpg

217A4F8D-ECBF-43E9-9743-042B94DD16C9.jpg

• Like 6

Is this your first bird? If so, that's excellent mate! Great hawks....

yeah mate, first bird. Was a bit late in the season to get a young bird, then this bird came up, so thought even if I don't get him going this season then at least I would learn quite abit with him regarding confidence,manning,conditioning etc etc. I'll fly him for rest of the season then decide whether to get a young bird in the summer and make it what I want, or do one more season with the red after moult. My "mentor" (so to speak) let me down really, so it's been a bit of a learning curve for me and the bird, I'm sure an experienced falconer may have had him going earlier than me, but like I said he had been bowed down for years, and was way to used to having chicks thrown at him, so it was a nitemare to get him going really! Previous owner said he's 9, but I've taken that with a pinch of salt really, as he also said a lot of other things that were aload of shite :-/ lol

yeah mate, first bird. Was a bit late in the season to get a young bird, then this bird came up, so thought even if I don't get him going this season then at least I would learn quite abit with him regarding confidence,manning,conditioning etc etc. I'll fly him for rest of the season then decide whether to get a young bird in the summer and make it what I want, or do one more season with the red after moult. My "mentor" (so to speak) let me down really, so it's been a bit of a learning curve for me and the bird, I'm sure an experienced falconer may have had him going earlier than me, but like I said he had been bowed down for years, and was way to used to having chicks thrown at him, so it was a nitemare to get him going really! Previous owner said he's 9, but I've taken that with a pinch of salt really, as he also said a lot of other things that were aload of shite :-/ lol

Thats really quite an achievement & I think its good to go against the 'norm' sometimes.....you'll probably find a 'new' bird a breeze now!......,good luck with whatever you decide to do ;-)

Thats really quite an achievement & I think its good to go against the 'norm' sometimes.....you'll probably find a 'new' bird a breeze now!......,good luck with whatever you decide to do ;-)
cheers mate!!