Flat Foot Bull X

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give the dog a load of road walking. And get him fit before running him again.poor dogs been kenneled up for months like you said. Ide give him a chance but upto you atb shaun

I cant believe the crap I am hearing.. Dont keep a Bullx or any other dog with flat feet. It will go lame because it IS a running dog and needs good feet. A pure Bull should not have flat or bad feet.

Nobody has mentioned speed or weight, both major factors, its when the pressure on those feet counts, lighter dogs normally do better than the larger heavier ones, WM

Posted Images

Have to agree..roadwork will not do much for them atall on this breeding..it may make a very slight differance..been there done that..my old dog duke had flat loose feet...got ribbed for it saying its feet were bad and the dog be no good..he was colliegrey bullgrey..he turned out a brilliant dog..stuck like glue to stuff killed those ones that were ment to get away..never broke a toe while i owned him but i didnt run him on much rough ground if i am honest.

The dog did his job and did it well his feet didnt hinder him what so ever..turned out a very handy fox dog so i hear.

However in my honest oppinion if i had ran him regular on rough ground i would have been asking for problems i dont think they would have held out.

The dog the op is talking about is imo not a running dog as such..as in the type of work it would excell at.

As been mentioned good feet conformation doesnt alway equal good strong feet...feet can look good but be weak in structure..they cam also look not the best but be good and strong.

No real black and white..

I would always preffer a dog with tighter feet as opposed to looser feet but theres no guarentees

• Like 2

As been mentioned good feet conformation doesnt alway equal good strong feet...feet can look good but be weak in structure..they cam also look not the best but be good and strong.

I would always preffer a dog with tighter feet as opposed to looser feet but theres no guarentees

yeh you prob go for a tight foot in any type bred running dog , but seen some dogs with good lump of saluki in there make up, and very good feet, but wouldn't say they were that tight feet on the dogs I seen, not splayed but about normal. when dogs have flat feet ,its norm they got ( dropped pasterns ) they will splay there feet a bit , and nothing will bring them back up, its in the dog make up .a lot of dogs can be born like that , prob best thing to to do is when hunting season finished , get them on the roads . it (wont) change there feet+structure on the roads, but its better than being on the grass all the while, the only thing it will do in time is keep the nails down, and 6 months thorough the summer will all help . :thumbs:

• Like 1

Do you mean it can be built right but made of weak bone? I agree with that,but that could be due to bad rearing. Good feet also include big thick pads and strong nails that dont quite touch the ground when stood on a flat surface.

yeh you prob go for a tight foot in any type bred running dog , but seen some dogs with good lump of saluki in there make up, and very good feet, but wouldn't say they were that tight feet on the dogs I seen, not splayed but about normal. when dogs have flat feet ,its norm they got ( dropped pasterns ) they will splay there feet a bit , and nothing will bring them back up, its in the dog make up .a lot of dogs can be born like that , prob best thing to to do is when hunting season finished , get them on the roads . it (wont) change there feet+structure on the roads, but its better than being on the grass all the while, the only thing it will do in time is keep the nails down, and 6 months thorough the summer will all help . :thumbs:

Some Salukis have Hare type feet..They are not flat but just a diffrent shape and usually as good if not better than the typical cat shape most of us consider the right foot.

Road walking can never help flat feet. It can only cause pain/suffering.. When a human has flat feet they can have lifts in there shoes which supports the foot into the correct shape,so that walking can again benefit the rest of the body,but take them off and back to pain..You cant get lifts for dogs,so the best thing is not over work it and keep its weight down..

Bullxs will appear not to suffer discomfort because they just suck it up,but if they have flat feet then they will suffer has a result..I dont think you will ever see a picture of a Waterloo cup winner with flat feet.They would never of got through the training,never mind the rounds.

• Like 1

Common sense says the faster smash em up type and heavier the dog the more the feet will be tested...bull x are heavy and tend to be pretty quick up and at them they have in general poor agility compaired to other crosses such as collie x saluki x..... All adds up..a large percentage of bull x lurchers i have seen have broke toes..ones that are worked anyway there feet seem to get knocked up alot..there weight and running style deffo add to this fact for sure.

• Like 1

Alot of the tight feet thing comes off the racing....agreed if i wanted a straight line speedster i would want small tight light feet......however speed alone is no good in the feild in the real world...agility flexsbility and versatility are just as if not more important.....look at the most agile sighthound on earth the saluki..the narrower longer flatter feet and sloping pasterns !

Alot of the tight feet thing comes off the racing....agreed if i wanted a straight line speedster i would want small tight light feet......however speed alone is no good in the feild in the real world...agility flexsbility and versatility are just as if not more important.....look at the most agile sighthound on earth the saluki..the narrower longer flatter feet and sloping pasterns !

good threads :thumbs: , your right with agilty with bullxs ive had 3 , and all did well for what they were, but you right they hsvnt got natural agilty like collies or salukis xs have . in fact my dog now Buck is my biggest lurcher ive ever had , he bigger than all my bullxs were taller+heavier than all of them, yet he as near agile as what Bryn is my colliex grey is. I was really surprised with his speed+agilty for big dog, but I think like collies , Alsatians are very +fast -agile type of dog for there size, and it deff shows it self in Buck, and he got good feet as well :yes: